free hit
counters
Relay issue - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
CBrownstead

Relay issue

When I am off the throttle or coasting, idling etc . . . the secondary fuel pump relay in the truck, 40 amp guy is just clicking randomly like crazy. I went to autozone and found the cross reference, cost $9 by the way, instead of $45 from lotus, and replaced it. The relay was not the problem, it is still clicking so it has to be the inputs to this relay causing the issue . . . anyone had this problem? It would seem to be some sensor telling the secondary fuel pump to either turn off or on . . .

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

The secondary fuel pump is always supposed to be running. the first pump is a primer pump... the second pump is the main one. If one fails... the other is soon to follow. The relay is probably clicking because of excessive load -- ie the fuel pump is shot, or there's a short... wire you're pump directly and see if the wires get stupid hot... if they do.. you're pump is shot... you can also listen to it and if it's extra noisy when both pumps are running... then you've got a blown pump... don't run one pump without the other though.. they need to run at the same time.

wait a second.. is your fuel pump only clicking when the throttle is off?.... that may be that your frequency valve is shot then.... need more info.

Modifying esprit's.. now that's fun..

PS... I AM NOT A CERTIFIED MECHANIC.. I Have chosen to help those in need, in the past and must not be construed as being a certified technician.

thanks for the info . . .yes the clicking seems to be happening only when there is no load . . . like when i am coasting or off the throttle idling . . . I replaced the relay because I was thinking it was going bad, but that did not fix it. I am going to look for loose connections tonight. So the frequency valve feeds this? does the ecu control when it is on? I have not looked at the technical docs yet as I thought it was a bad relay. Maybe the relay is turning the secondary pump on and off and on and off . . . the car seems to be running fine regardless of what the relay is doing. I would think if the pump was going it would show up in take offs warm ups or something . . .right?

Edited by CBrownstead

The computer doesn't shut off that pump at all to my recollection. the frequency valve adjusts the fuel return pressure from the fuel distributor... on low load, the fuel volume getting returned to the tank is high... if there's a high restriction in a fuel return line, then it will load up the pump and make it get hot enough to effectively short out. Check you're fuel return lines -- take them off and ensure that there's no blockage. If there is, then replace the line... Then move on to looking into the fuel pump itself.

PS... I AM NOT A CERTIFIED MECHANIC.. I Have chosen to help those in need, in the past and must not be construed as being a certified technician.

Thanks, I recently installed an amp and new antenna, and I was messing around with that side of things behind the access panel, maybe i kinked something . . .hmmmm . . .

the only input i can see to the secondary fuel input relay is the inertia switch . . . the overboost is connected as well but this is also wired through the inertia switch . .

That's correct Chris.... It is wired through the inertia switch. Check to make sure you have no shorts or kinks... check continuity from on your positives and negatives... (with the fuel pump disconnected of course)

I was looking at this situation again as it continues to plague me . . . and I noticed the bottom of my inertia switch has a crack in the plastic, I would say just years of heat exposure . . . I am thinking of just bypassing the thing . .. I know I know . . . FIRE FIRE FIRE . . . but many many cars on the road do not have these things . . .anyone done this . . .or is the switch cheaper than I am anticipating . . .? Thanks

If you are refering to partno: B079M6133F than I can say it is not expensive. 2 years ago I replaced mine and it cost me

Esprit Freak

Though.. chances are, if you are upside down in you're esprit... it's a write-off anyway...