free hit
counters
How notchy is the gear change? - Gearchange/Gearbox/Clutch - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
red vtec

How notchy is the gear change?

Following on from my other post about getting in reverse. How notchy is the gear change on the Esprit? mine is pretty stiff but I just asumed this was the case. But having read the articels on LEW I may be wrong. Any advice is apprciated.

Edited by red vtec

Amateurs built the Ark

Professionals built the Titanic

"I haven't ridden in cars pulled by cows before" "Bullocks, Mr.Belcher" "No, I haven't, honestly"

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

According to Lotus you should be able to move between gears with one finger. If you can't, you're mechanism needs refurbing with one of the many kits available :)

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Was that one firm shove with a big bicep? I think I need to refurb!

Amateurs built the Ark

Professionals built the Titanic

"I haven't ridden in cars pulled by cows before" "Bullocks, Mr.Belcher" "No, I haven't, honestly"

Or get to the gym! :)

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

That being the case I'm going to have a wine about mine again, it's OK but I find the resistance springing that brings it back to central too stiff, it's not bad but I would like less resistance, up and down is fine, it's across. I'm only a small guy!

Roger

Life is like a sewer, what you get out of it, depends on what you put into it. (Tom Leahrer)

wow I had not heard the 1 finger thing . . . then basically every single esprit I have ever owned needed refurbed, including the brand new 94 I purchased in 94 and the brand new 88 I purchased in 88. the most recent 88 I purchased feels the same as the one I purchased 20 years ago when it was new, or maybe my memory needs a refurb . . . not sure. i have always found the shifters to have a bit of a hitch in them, I assumed it was the clutch mechanism more than the gear box . . .

I think it's early atempts at cable operated shifts, the Elan was great and that was just a Ford box.

Life is like a sewer, what you get out of it, depends on what you put into it. (Tom Leahrer)

Hey that is good to hear, I have a bunch of the stuff sitting in my garage . . . I was going to change it sooner or later. I have heard fabulous things about it from car collectors. Leno uses it in everything he has, I have used it in one car and it worked well. I will put this on my to do list as soon as I sort out this fuel pump problem . . .

My gear changes really improved once I switched to Redline MT90. Much smoother.

X2

"Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the American people’s liberty teeth and keystone under independence." - George Washington