free hit
counters
Electric chargecooler pump. - Induction/Turbo/Chargecooler/Manifold/Exhaust - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
hast2

Electric chargecooler pump.

As the title says!

I'm away to do some work to my esprit and get it ready for the summer. It's a 96 GT3.

I've obtained an electric pump that would suit the chargecooler system, but as mine could be in good condition, I want to know if adding a second pump would increase the efficiency of the system.

I'm going to be changing the thermostat, so thought this would be a good time to get this done as well.

Thanks

Gary

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

If you pump is fine, then parallel.

If yours has started to degrade, then remove it from the loop.

series will do nothing, pumps in series combat resistance to flow not speed up the flow beyond the capacity of the slowest one.

Hey Andy,

If you were going to do it, how would you plumb it parallel and do you think there would be any benefit other than having a redundant system?

Jim

1995 S4s

Benefit? You should get a higher flow rate so better cooling, but the power gain probably isn't going to be great.

How to do it? You need to have 2 Y (or T) pieces in the circuit, each one use to connect the paired inputs and paired outputs of the pumps.

The flow rate wouldn't be any more than the max output of either of the two pumps would it?

The flow rate could be (depending on resistance to flow, swirling etc) the sum of the 2 pumps separate maximum flow rates.

So , yes it would be higher than the max output of either pump on their own.

Parallel isn't worth the extra complexity of the piping... IMO

Series shouldn't be done just for the fact that the mechanical pump will fail and probably plug up the flow causing the electrical pump to fail.

Remove the mechanical pump, and plug it properly.

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

My Lotus Photo and Projects Album

Yes,

IMHO this idea is not a good one. You will add a lot of non-original complexity (piping, connections, ...) and there wont be a noticable benefit besides being ugly to look at ...

My advise is, if your orginal pump fails, then replace the impeller with an almost indestructible PU-one ...

Cheers

Marcus

Parallel isn't worth the extra complexity of the piping... IMO

Series shouldn't be done just for the fact that the mechanical pump will fail and probably plug up the flow causing the electrical pump to fail.

Remove the mechanical pump, and plug it properly.

Marcus

There is one (very) small advantage to having parallel electric and mechanical pumps.

After a spirited run, but still on boost, the cooling to the charge would be improved.

Not much of a reason, and I personally wouldn't do it that way, but the question was purely parallel or serial.

I should have answered the other question which was "Should I?"

I think I'll just stick with the Mechanical pump for the moment. If it is worn or does wear I'll replace it with a PUK part.

The electric pump will find it's way on to it's original project. 4WD Legacy for Autocrossing :ph34r: It's chargecooler system doesn't use a pump, so it should help.

Thanks for the opinions :lol:

Gary

The electric pump will find it's way on to it's original project. 4WD Legacy for Autocrossing :) It's chargecooler system doesn't use a pump, so it should help.

But surely the Legacy uses an intercooler rather than a chargecooler? In which case you don't need a pump... unless you've already converted to a chargecooled system of course! :)

Hang your head in shame :)

Subaru Impreza's have a intercooler but Legacy's have a chargecooler.

As standard the legacy's chargecooler system doesn't use a pump. It's just the water changing temperture that makes it move round the system.

Hang your head in shame

Well I'll go to the foot of our stairs. Despite the fact I had a quad cam Leggy turbo estate from 1993 - 1999 I'd completely forgotten all about that. How embarrassing! :)

Just for that here's a gratuitous shot of my latest piece of Fuji Heavy Industries output :P:)

P1000036.jpg