free hit
counters
Split Rims - Esprit Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
mayevora

Split Rims

For those owners with split rim alloys, how much upkeep is needed to keep them in top condition. How long does it take to condition and polish and is it a case of getting the toothbrush out after every drive? I know brake dust will come off pretty easily if you keep on top of it, but what about anythink more serious, lacquer, shine, rust ect ect.

Thanks

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk - that will teach us to keep mouth shut!

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Hi Ian. If they are in good condition, then they are pretty easy to look after. Warm soapy water to clean and a soft brush to get into the nooks and crannies.

They are very susceptible to stone chips on the alloy rim. These are very soft. Corrosion is also a problem. I have had mine for less than 2 years and looked after them. They have done less than 3K miles and there is corrosion around the valve seat on one and on the others some minimal corrosion from water ingress.

Paul

Edited by rocket63

Caught between a rock and a hard place in a catch 22 situation, So its 6 of one and half a dozen of the other. Your damned if you do, but your damned if you don't so shut your cock!!!!!!!!!!!

Lotus Espirt Turbo S3    

Lotus Esprit S4 

Lotus Elise S2 Sport 130

pig_zps6d7342f1.jpg

Thanks Paul & Mark.

Haven't seen that guide before. Interesting read, but unsure if I would have the patience to dismantle. Fair play to they guy who did though. Nice result.

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk - that will teach us to keep mouth shut!

:D Columbo is not needed then. Was a bit obvious really wasn't it. Missed this one in Cornwall this week.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...A:IT&ih=023

what on earth has buying an Esprit got to do with the capital of Sri Lanka?

The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself.

Friedrich Nietzsche

find me on Tripadvisor

http://www.tripadvis...mbers/espritguy

what on earth has buying an Esprit got to do with the capital of Sri Lanka?

That was not quite but almost too suttle for me Howard - did have to think about that one for a sec. :D

Edited by mayesprit

sorry, my yorkshire sense of humour

The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself.

Friedrich Nietzsche

find me on Tripadvisor

http://www.tripadvis...mbers/espritguy

has anyone got a scabby set or two of these lying about, or even odd/bent buckled ones?