free hit
counters
low oil pressure and leaks - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
mm7770

low oil pressure and leaks

Hello i have a GT3 and no gauges to see what is going on exactly.

When the car is well warmed up i get an low oil pressure trembling light on when I'm into 1st gear and letting the clutch pedal off.

Also when i put and let the second gear.

Then OK while I'm speeding. This started from nowhere 2 weeks ago.

I have a small (very small) oil leak from cam cover 8 months now.

I have 112.000 km done and new oil filter and oils (10W/40) which is not good for Greece but this is what i was always using.

Does any one know what is all about?

I have and another oil leak somewhere from injector to coolant temperature sensor.

I have to remove the chargecooler to tell more. Any ideas there also?

Minos

post-192-1208726277.jpg

post-192-1208726284.jpg

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Mino,

First a good bath (clean up) of the engine will help you to trace the issue with the oil. Maybe the cam cover casket is leaking.

Make sure the oil presure switch wiring is good as some times the connectors are loose.

I have seen this issue a few times.

Kalo pasxa!!

Tony

Edited by greekmixS4

In Australia I use Castrol Edge Sport 10/60. Expensive, but a lot cheaper than a blown engine.

Roger

Life is like a sewer, what you get out of it, depends on what you put into it. (Tom Leahrer)

Mino,

First a good bath (clean up) of the engine will help you to trace the issue with the oil. Maybe the cam cover casket is leaking.

Make sure the oil presure switch wiring is good as some times the connectors are loose.

I have seen this issue a few times.

Kalo pasxa!!

Tony

thanx guys, I 'll use 15/50 or 60 from now on.

Tony i have a feeling you've been to Greece for some time!!! :ph34r: I hope you enjoyed it!

I know the 1 st leak were it comes from, I'm not sure about the other (does coolant temperature sensor, or the injector has any gaskets?).

Where exactly is the oil pressure switch wiring? If it is that wouldn't be more likely to happen under all circumstances?

Can it be an oil valve or pump?

I've been told about engine wear... :lol:

Se eyxaristw poly, yeia xara!

post-192-1208823480.jpg

post-192-1208823490.jpg

Mino,

I am from Greece originally leaving in Australia now. Apo nea filadelfia !!!

Ok now the ares that you have shown collect dirt and oil from many years of use.

I you have cleaned the engine bay well and you still seeing oil there I would start with replacing the rocker cover gaskets first then work on the ones below that at the head. However if these gaskets are bad I would expect more oil escaping.

Golden rule " Clean the engine bay well to trace the leak"

The oil pressure switch is under the manifold close to the oil filter and the knock sensor, its hard to see but it has two wires connected to it and some times they are loose. If you have a manual it will be easier to identify.

The knock sensor has only one wire connecting to it and the oip pressure switch us almost next to it with two wires to it.

If you need mre urgent help email me on [email protected]

PS: The castrol edge 10/60 is what I also use.. and I recomended as I have used it in my race days for years now.. make sure you replace it if you are from Athens every 6 to 8k

Edited by greekmixS4

hello

I have knowing the same problem at this moment and i have dedided to change shell connecting rod and refurbish oil pump

On your photos i can see leakeage but its not the reason of the iddle low pressure

may be the oils eal of the cam shaft