free hit
counters
Camera vans on the A11 - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7358372.stm

So much for making people safer drivers, people keep crashing when they see the van! Fair enough, they shouldn't have been speeding in the first place of course but these camera vans are meant to make our roads safer but appear to do the opposite!

This sort of reporting does boil my pee. It's basically the BBC (on advice by the govt no doubt) saying that anyone who speeds will kill babies etc etc. They neglect to mention that driving standards in the UK are at an all time low with dangerous drivers, uninsured cars and other offenders getting away scott free as a speed camera doesn't detect them. It's all about speed!

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This sort of reporting does boil my pee...

Mine too Bibs. Here on the IOM we (the petrolheads) fought (and WON) a major battle with our own Dept of Transport a couple of years ago, who wanted to impose a national speed limit (at the moment you can drive flat out in derestricted areas). A few of us protested that their 'consultation' document asking for a public mandate to do this was nothing short of political propaganda (one of the questions was something like 'If having a national speed limit saved lives, would you vote for it? YES/NO'. We actually got their advertising campaign pulled and caused a lot of red faces. In fact, the Transport Minister at the time is now...a back bencher again!

I interviewed the late Paul Smith of safespeed.org a couple of times, and fully agree with his assertions that 'speed kills' is a lazy and tired catchphrase with little to recommend it.

Trouble you have in the UK is that the law-abiding motorist is an easy and lucrative target. The 'no licence, no tax, no insurance' scrotes are harder work and can't/won't pay their fines anyway.

We're all going to hell, slowly, on a handcart!

Proud recipient of the LEF 'Car of the Month Award' February 2008

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: "Wow, what a ride!!"

Yep all though acidents were cause by the presence of the speed camera. None of these cars would have crashed otherwise. Mmmm but the fuzz will be happy because they get to fine them for speeding and driving without due course care and attention.

It's my understanding that the Camera's are to save lives. I see this van everyday and it's prime spots are on long straight sections of the A11, with no sliproads on or off and sometime on bridges after corners. This IS NOT IN ANYWAY a safety feature or they'd have it 2 miles down the road at the Kettringham crossroads which is a serious accident blackspot.

As you say, those cars wouldn't have crashed without the Van there. If you also note, it's yellow and doesn't have blue lights on it. From the rear it looks like a Motorway services van. Thats why people brake suddenly as they don't realise what it is.

Like you say Bibs, it's the Govt talking there, not the news, 100%.

Possibly save your life. Check out this website.
http://everyman-campaign.org/

Distributor for 'Every Male' grooming products. (Discounts for any TLF members hairier than I am!)

Not sure would want to be the plod stuck in the back of it. Look at its position on the road at the beginning. Just waiting to be smashed in to by lorry. If I broke down there I would be out of the car and well on the verge not sitting half on the road.

I was in Orpington SE London last week and parked behind a white camera van where the camera popped out the roof on a post. Looked like a park it up an leave it job. Just a small camera sign on the doors to say what it was. Very sneeky.

Was that near the Volvo garage by chance? Saw it there myself not so long ago!

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Guys

Just watched the BBC video. This is shocking and im my opinion illegal, because the Government itself is the cause for potential deaths

In Germany they hide their speed cameras on the side of the motorway, mostly in speed reduced areas such as construction sites, or on merging lanes going from one Autobahn to the other.

In town you don't see them in front of schools or Kindergartens, oh NO: You see them on carriage ways leading out of the cities just around knocking off time !!

What is beyond all bearing is the fact that these hypocrites of politicians are trying to tell us that this is educating drivers where everyone knows that it's only there to make up for poor money management by the government.

We are all ruled by former teachers and lawyers. People who have learned from day one how to spend only other people's money.

What do you think would happend if for one year every motorist in Europe would obey the rules ?

No more parking violations, up to date MOTs, emission limits met, no speeding violations and all these other so called traffic delinquencies.

Cities, boroughs, communities, states and governments would be in major financial trouble and would have to find alternative ways to make up for this lost part of their budget which they mostly have already spent !!!!

The most bizarre example is here : In the German city of Karlsruhe the city councellor for traffic affairs called the traffic wardens to order because they did not fullfill their quota !!!! (due to people sticking to parking rules)

It seems to me as we are back in the middle ages where robber-knights and highwaymen besieged the roads

Here is on mad Kraut as you can tell :ph34r:

Cheers

Stefan

Mind if I cut in ?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7358372.stm

The ACTUAL accidents casued on this film were as a result of the speed cameras presence - removing the offending item would have resulted in ZERO accidents and ZERO injuries.

Ban speed cameras :ph34r:

facebook = [email protected]

I don't know where to start...in the words of James May, i am so unspeakably outraged...i'm not going to say anything else because it will turn into a rant against the Speed CAMera partnership and various other government agencies so i will shut up and go and kick the cat instead. :ph34r::lol::)

Marge: Homer, I don't want you driving around in a car you built yourself.

Homer : Marge, you can either sit there complaining, or you can knit me some seat belts...

Evora NA

The one on the M11 in that second story I know quite well.

Now, don't shoot me down here, I don't necessarily agree with the placement of the camera and think the reduction 50mph is also unnecessary but how people have to slam the breaks on for it I'll never know. There's plenty of advance warning that the limit is changing and the worlds largest sign showing 50mph & the camera sign.

I used to find if you just took your foot off the accelerator as you pass the gigantic 50 sign you'd gently slow down to 50 just in time to go past the camera. When people find the best way to drive is to speed up as fast as they can and then slam on the anchors just before the camera it's no wonder there's accidents.

Again, I'd like to see the camera removed but you have to attribute the cause of the accidents to bad driving not just the addition of a camera.

I was sent an article from the north today regarding an incident involving a mobile speed camera. Not sure if this is true but I hope it is, would have served them right.

While in persuit of their duties two traffic officers logged an object with their radar gun approaching them at 300mph!! It turned out to be a low flying Tornado. They reported this to their Chief Constable who contacted the RAF complaining about the altitude of the fighter. The RAF replied in true ironic fashion by acknologing the incident and reporting that the plane detected the radar device and mistakenly thought it was another plane getting radar lock for an attack. The automatic defence system on the plane then activated getting missile lock on the radar gun and activating the fully armed sidwinder missiles. The RAF went on to say that the Dutch pilot thoughtfully deactivated the the defence system shortly before the missile was fired. Shame.

Not a fan of cameras myself - but Laura has a very good point.

Bad, poor, ignorant or substandard driving is much more troublesome. Indeed just this week I encountered a brown underwear moment as someone pulled out in front of me, pulled away normally (as a following driver would anticipate) then slammed on the brakes and put his car in reverse straight at me. All because his sat nav gave him an instruction that obviously needed to obeyed there and then. Speed wasnt a factor and this was a dangerous situation.

I'm trying to be careful with this next sentence so forgive me if it doesnt come across correctly. Speeding, although an offence (*disclaimer* which cant be condoned - and none of us speed except on private test tracks :lol: ), isn't arguably dangerous (becoming stationary with, erm, immediacy or urgency or causing others who are stationary to become bonded to your fibreglass is most certainly dangerous) and what I'd almost welcome is more traffic police. These are human beings who use common sense in situations like the video shows rather than the arbitrary nature of the speed camera.

I completed a police high speed driving course many moons ago and it was a great day with some great officers. Most officers I've spoken to are very reasonable people and many are enthusiasts just like us.

Perhaps its time to encourage more sensible and more human traffic policing, with a dose of context relevant common sense, and retire the speed camera? After all a speed camera doesn't know what bad, idiot or inappropriate driving is.

Only today I encountered someone doing just over 30mph on the M4. There was no conjestion at the time and I was doing 70 with the cruise control on, you dont expect to come across anyone in these circumstances doing less than 50. IMO this is far more dangerous than someone speeding at 90.

One other thought occurs. I was caught doing 57 in a 50 zone near Kidderminster on the A491. This is a dual carrigeway which along most of it's length is a 60 limit. I was caught 100yds inside the 50 zone while slowing down from 60. The reason for the camera van and the 50 zone is a supposed accident blackspot, and the cause of the accidents? An opening in the central reservation to allow traffic to get across to a small back lane. Less than a mile up the road is a major junction with lights allowing traffic to turn right onto a road that joins up with the afore mentioned lane. So the question is why not simply close the gap? Answer no money in it just pure safety.

Edited by gasmangt3

The issue is, that those cars would have gone through that speed trap perfectly fine IF the camera had not been there.

As much as speed, bad driving etc was to blame, so was the speed cameras presence.

The 2 featured drivers have seen the something on the roadside and it made them panic break which is no less their fault than being human. I've seen police footage of people crashing out of the way of force cars with blues and twos on, lightning, and other distracting phoenomina - fly a tornado jet down the M2 60ft at mach 1 and see if anyone flinches - it's a human reaction. Lastly who's to say they were even speeding in the 1st place !

The cock and bull we are all fed is that speed kills, bullshit, if speed killed the fastest roads in our land would be the most dangerous and even the government can't fiddle the figures to adjust that fact - infact most of the motorways are the SAFEST roads even if you don't take into account the amount of traffic / mile they have on them !

facebook = [email protected]

Hi,

This isn't speed, but just an annoying issue, not the police, the motorist! They had a motorbike copper this morning catching people who think they don't need to wait in a traffic queue and use the bus lane instead. Just as I passed him he was then stepping out into the road to stop someone who thought they didn't need to wait.

These people they should catch, can't understand why they don't have more cameras catching people flouting bus lane rules, I usually see it happen once every morning on the way to work.

I'm not against cameras if they are proven in a certain spot to reduce accidents, but ones on motorways, roads designed for speed, and locations that seem to be pointless for them to be there, then that does pee me off. I pass two cameras every morning going to work, one is near a school, so I can understand that, although I can't understand why only one side of the road has a camera if the spot is dangerous for speed as it's near a school, do they think the drivers going the other way are more sensible? This is where the speed camera arguement falls down in some cases, if the road is dangerous (talking about a normal single carrige A road) then they would be on both sides wouldn't they?

The one on the A14, what's the point? it's a four lane road designed for speed, it has armco dividing the traffic, it's not needed.

When I'm old and grey and in my seventies, feeding my horse that I now own for transport, not because oil has run out, because car owning was banned in 2020, I'm gonna look back and remember the days before cameras, when it was fun to drive your car. I'll have my one horse power animal, but I still have to watch I don't gallop past the cameras, and trot instead! :lol:

Owen

Makes me mad!!!

I went out on my bike yesterday to run it in (new bike). In the hundred and fifty or so miles i lost count of the amount of traffic cops i saw. One car had a strange red device mounted on the roof, it was driving up and down the A272 at 45 mph i saw this one twice! Also some hard braking when noticing camera vans of which i saw two. These things are becoming more of a road safety threat than the people there trying to stop. Especially when your on roads you don't know and are not sure of the exact speed limit or your speed for that matter. Sorry officer didn't see the old lady crossing the road i was looking at my speedo!!

grrrrr

Andy

Ps and you can drive the 300miles to Germay and go as fast as you like!(on the right road) i thought things were being standardised in Europe

Edited by andyblackman777

Like Jon I have to point out that the safest roads in the UK have the highest speed limits. The German Autobahns are safer still!

On a recent "Speed awareness course" it was pointed out that speed is the single biggest killer on our roads. I asked how this is possible when he actually has the figures up on the board showing that the motorway is the safest of all the roads. He couldn't answer me. This may be the beginning of the "hype" to get speed limits dropped.

Possibly save your life. Check out this website.
http://everyman-campaign.org/

Distributor for 'Every Male' grooming products. (Discounts for any TLF members hairier than I am!)

• 1 month later...

Hi,

Not the A11 this time, but it shows you how stupid placed speed cameras are. This one was on the A47 today (hope I don't get done, I was a tad over the limit, 55 in a 50), The wife and I passed it on the stretch of the A47 just about a mile from the Acle roundabout heading towards Norwich, there is a junction intersection which has seen a few accidents in it's time as people pull out into a 70mph road. The speed limit for this stretch has been reduced to 50mph, but guess where the camera is? Not before the junction or even on it, it's was after the junction just as the dual section finishes, so if you had been speeding and at point of higher risk in causing an accident, i.e. on the cross roads junction, then the camera wouldn't have made you slow down until after, it served no purpose in slowing you down at the actual danger point.

They may argue that as you enter the single carriage way from the dual section you could be a danger as well, but the real danger is the stupid junction that you have just passed, and that's only like that as they are to damn tight to build a proper intersection bridge and cross roads, just spend it on the baby making, free house, never paid a penny into the system single teenage mother, she deserves it more than our road infrastructure needs improving!

Also just as I passed the camera I was doing slightly over the limit as I was just pulling forward to pass an articulated lorry, I see the camera and my reaction is hit the brakes as I'm unsure how fast I was doing, so the guy behind would have done the same. Tell me how that is safer than just letting me go by in a controlled state, it isn't, it's a load of crap about safety on sections like this, it's a money trap, also it was knocking off time so more cars as the camera wasn't there earlier in the day because I travelled on the same stretch the other way previous.

There must be a loophole to ban these menace to our roads. :D

Owen.