free hit
counters
Engine mount heat shield - Induction/Turbo/Manifold/Exhaust - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Hi guys,

Whilst degreasing my chassis ready for repainting, i removed the heatshield on the near side enging mount (looks like it could be made of asbestos!!) and it was soaked in oil and generally starting to degrade. When i phoned Stratton Motor Company to enquire about cost of a replacement - surprise, surprise it is obsolete!

Does anybody know where is can get a replacement or a suitable alternative? Tim at Strattons very kindly gave me the number of Miles Wilkings (01243) 554422 who bought all the rights to the pattents for lotus parts (useful number to have everybody) but i guess he must be on holiday because the phone just rings and rings!

Can anyone help please?

Simonf

REHABS FOR QUITTERS!!

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yes matey in fact i have a complet set here, but its not asbestos, its metal and i got mine from pete at pnm, i will post a picture of it all shortly, give pete a call and tell him you need the complete heat shield set up in metal for the esprit turbo, you will get 4 sections for it.

ok here you go.

1: here is the engine mount and the top anti vibration washer, you can see it has an indent in the bottom, this fits over the top of the engine mount and pops into place. there are two of these an upper and lower

DSCN6280.jpg

2: the anti vibration washer in place.

DSCN6281.jpg

3: before the engine strut comes down you fit this section first then the engine strut sits on top of this then the bolt goes through the lot.

DSCN6282.jpg

4:here is the rest of the set up and how it goes together, excuse the hand held setup but its not easy to hold it all together!!

DSCN6283.jpg

5: here are the parts laid out.

DSCN6284.jpg

and here are the details and numbers

heatshields.jpg

heatshiledparts.jpg

now you may find that the vacum pump shield wont fit in there correctly, im not sure yet as i havent fitted mine, if it doesnt then just bend it back slightly, but you need it as it holds the angular mounting cover in place.

Edited by bigsi

Well-done bigsi, thats perfect! Did it cost much? I only ask because i have spent soooo much money on the car so far i am running very low on funds!

I have a stag do in Amsterdam next week too and that is going to be expensive as i am the best man and need to show the stag a good time!!!!

REHABS FOR QUITTERS!!

and need to show the stag a good time!!!!

Did you want to edit that post slightly???

Metal ones are the way forward, I think the originals were a material similar to asbestos, but the metal ones don't crack or bbreak in the same way.

You can make some up, the material is available from places such as deamon tweaks (or how ever they spell it for the UK one), but it wuld involve a bit of work.

I am looking to relace mine in due course, but that will be when I replace the engine mounts.

Andy

I think Dazman bought heat insulating sheet and made his own as I think it was cheaper? Its on his HC conversion thread page 2 I think in the resto section. The one Bigsi has looks good and I need to buy one too.

BTW Simon when you go on the stag do be sure to remeber to put the kitty money in a different pocket to your own money...makes the whole weekend much cheapper!!! :lol:

"Belief is the enemy of knowing" - Crrow777

ring pete at pnm he has loads of second hand ones there, mine is second hand its not expensive at all.

you can buy the sheet from aerotecheng from sj its more expensive than buying a second hand set of shields and you have to form them i think.

but i guess he must be on holiday because the phone just rings and rings!

No, it's because he is extremely unhelpful and arrogant with it!! (in my humble opinion of course).

Paul.

Lotus Esprit [meaning] a 1:1 scale Airfix kit with a propensity to catch fire

extremely unhelpful and arrogant with it!!

Paul.

Agreed !

1976 Esprit S1 123G, 1976 Esprit S1 166G, 1976 Esprit S1 170G, 1976 Esprit S1 228G, 1977 Esprit S1 564H, 1978 Esprit S1 326G, 1978 Esprit S1 329G, 1978 Esprit S1 336G, 1981 Esprit S2.2 0991, 1997 Elise S1

Did you want to edit that post slightly???

Nope! What goes on tour stays on tour!

BTW Simon when you go on the stag do be sure to remeber to put the kitty money in a different pocket to your own money...makes the whole weekend much cheapper!!! :)

I think it's best if i don't hold the kitty at all! On more than one occassion now i have got so pissed that i end up spending all my own money thinking it is the kitty! I would n't mind but the last AEG kitty was only a

REHABS FOR QUITTERS!!

I was going to post a thread on here about which engine mount goes on which side (i have a pink paint mark on one and a blue paint mark on the other) but i remembered Bigsi posted some photos! But your great big hand was in the way of the shot!!!

I am guessing pink = near side (as your photo indicates the pink mount being covered by the washer)

" " " blue = off side (as this one din't figure in the his series of photos)

Could you let me know if this is correct or if there isn't any difference in the mounts (they do look incredibly similar - but guess they wouldn't be paint marked if that were the case.

PS Pete from PNM could n't repeat the special offer he gave you (what ever than means) on the stainless heat shields - but is going to come back to me with a price!

REHABS FOR QUITTERS!!

the special offer was due to me buying a load of other stuff rom him at the same time, i bought a ton of stuff. pete is good, like that but you have to get other stuff as well, i had to get a load of new gaskets and stuff after i took all the cam tower ocvers and airbox of so i bought all new gaskets and seals , in cables, sensors and a few other things.

and yes its pink mark for the manifold side.

Edited by bigsi
SimonF, let me know what price for the shields, In could do with a set, so could probably reduce the postage costs.

Ok good buddy!

I will let you know when i have spoken to pete

REHABS FOR QUITTERS!!