Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Brembo Pads - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Brembo Pads

Does anyone know where to get performance pads for the brembo calipers and has anyone used anything other than the standard cr*p as they fade really badly, what were Lotus thinking when they fitted these??? I need some sticky ones, I don't rate green stuff as I have had fade on these in my day to day car ..

Thanks

Mark

Mark MacKenzie  Elise S2 135 Sport 

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Mark,

There are pads available for the front Brembo caliper from Porterfield, Pagid, Mintex, Ferodo that I know about + EBC which are crap. The rear Brembo caliper is the Elise caliper so again you a number of options. The US guys like the Porterfield, I have tried then they are good but produce a lot of dust. I am running Pagid RS14 front and rear, they are very good but expensive.

Les Twigg has some Porterfield R4s pads for sale.

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/CARS-for-Rally-Lotus-Cibie-Colway

Thanks Dermot! Les has never replied to my mails, sent 3 now seems he has Toyota ones but not brembo accoring to his e-bay, where can I get pagids from??

Mark

P.S Do you know the pagid part number?

Edited by mwmackenzie

Mark MacKenzie  Elise S2 135 Sport 

I'm facing the same dilemna.

When I first changed from the stock brembo setup about four years ago I went for the EBC turbogroove discs since at the time they were the only option which didn't cost serious

Edited by neal

May: DON'T hit it with a hammer!

Clarkson: Why?

May: Cause it's the tool of a pikey.

If money was no option and didnt care for replacing AP discs too often id go down the Mintex 1166's, these a serious race pads that need bedding in properly. But you only need to look at the face of the pad to understand why they bite so well. They are meaty. Ive down graded to EBC redstuff on this car to preserve the discs better and they are avg but fine for general spirited driving. My mate runs EBC yellow stuff in his brembos he hes had no problems either. Its a matter of experimenting for your personal tastes. Dont forget to uprate your fluids too most people over look this part and just blame it on the pads.

350.gifNo.23

Great info neal!!! I was thinking yellow stuff but maybe not now... Pagid squeal may annoy me but may be worth it?

I think Yellows are a reasonsable compromise for fast road use. The bite is not as good (when I refitted my spare Pagids it was like driving a hire car with massive servo assistance - you had to be gentle on the pedal to avoid going through the windscreen), but they are more progressive and don't squeal. And they are half the price. Then again Pagid RS4-2 might be the better for the road with no squeal but I've not tried them.

Certainly Yellows are not up to the job for track work. Ideally I want:

* Great initial bite.

* No fade and minimal pedal travel.

* Reasonable longevity.

* Not too harsh on the discs.

I don't care about brake dust either on the road or track, or squeal on the track. But squeal on the road is a pain. The Pagids are okay when they're cold but as they warm up I get light squeal from the RS15s on the rears and heavy squeal from the RS29s on the fronts. It's a bit embarassing when you pull up in town sounding like a lorry but at the end of the day squeal comes bottom of my list of priorities so if I can't find the perfect pad and something has to give it will be the squeal.

I've got another track day booked for 11th May so will get a chance to properly try out the front RS29s and rear RS15s. I also plan to buy an infrared thermometer before then so I can keep tabs to the disc temperatures during the day and not fry them...

Edited by neal

May: DON'T hit it with a hammer!

Clarkson: Why?

May: Cause it's the tool of a pikey.