free hit
counters
Fuel Prices - Page 2 - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

I must admit I rather like my 4 pot S4s but I have a sudden urge to go and buy a V8 Esprit or perhaps a V12 Aston and enjoy using a powerful big engine whilst I still can.

Alan

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmm, the next week or so will be interesting to say the least with the North Sea pipeline being shut down

There's bound to be panic buying and petrol shortages and my guess is it'll push petrol prices even further.

ULP here in Oz just hit $1.50 / L (0.70P) for the first time. As usual people are up in arms - a lot saying that if it hits $1.75 that they will sell their cars. People here in Oz don't realise how cheap the fuel is compared to the rest of the world (except the US). Heard on the radio yesterday that in the last 10 years price per barrel has gone from US$10 to US$100 / barrel. If that's the case what are we looking at in 2018... Most likely Au$15 / L or in your case

"If you feel that you are in total control of the car, well, your just not driving fast enough". Jimmy Clark

The Toyota Prius hybrid claims 66mpg (53 US) but in tests few reviewers could get above 50mpg (40 US).

The Misconception with the Prius is it uses a battery..... Strictly speaking it's more of a capacitor.... I have noticed a gain in economy this week due to the warmer weather. the mpg gone up from 47.6 to 50.7 in one week. On one stretch of road this evening I noticed 83.2mpg for about 3.5 miles.....

As to the panic buying. The garage at the bottom of my road had queues of 5-6 cars per pump when I drove passed at 6:15 this evening.....

edit due to spelling things correctly........

Edited by Setras

Well, the trouble with the Esprit is the very reason I love it (well, one of the reasons)... It does not look like all the other cars out there. In fact, I have the only Esprit within 50 miles of my house to the best of my knowledge... maybe further?

See, If I lived near one of you guys, one of you with a white Esprit, I could get in the metal shop, fab me up a number plate that looks like yours, and put in on when I need to fillup. THAT WAY when I drive off without paying I have no worries! :):)

Here in the USA, the entire economy is going to crash down real soon anyway as shipping companies and the like are no longer going to operate due to cost. As for me, I am calculating the point at which there is no point for me to drive to work... I'll get on welfare like everyone else with a big car and a boat with no job at that point.... (yes, a steriotype - but saddly, often true)

Cameron

Edited by Autocross7

"If you feel that you are in total control of the car, well, your just not driving fast enough". Jimmy Clark

Cameron. I had a chance to discuss things with the RHA (Road Haulage Association) here in the UK, at the recent Commercial Vehicle Show.

They currently have just over 800 members. 3 years ago this was double this figure. 70% of failed haulage companies stated extra Fuel costs and increased tax burden as their reason for going bust. Of the 800 members who disappeared the average company size was 5 Trucks. Thats 5 employees, plus admin, plus owner and maybe a mechanic.

So by increasing the tax burden on fuel they have put over 6500 people out of work and lost their taxes (in fact some are still on the dole so thats a negative tax as they have to pay them social security). Then take into account the loss of income from Business tax, VAT, Truck purchases and sales and tax that generates, servicing and parts, VAT on everything those people would have bought with their wages....etc etc.

When will the Govt realise that taxing fuel may raise revenue short term but long term it causes Inflation, loss of jobs, income and taxes and misery to millions.

Oh yes, incase anyone says that the goods are still being delivered so there must be more trucks...nope, the market is in down turn. The loss of these trucks has been taken up mainly by foreign trucks coming over from Europe on a weekly basis with cheap fuel in illegally large tanks. Guess where the revenue goes for that! Yep abroad. Well done Brown for yet another cock up.

Possibly save your life. Check out this website.
http://everyman-campaign.org/

Distributor for 'Every Male' grooming products. (Discounts for any TLF members hairier than I am!)

foreign trucks coming over from Europe on a weekly basis with cheap fuel in illegally large tanks. Guess where the revenue goes for that! Yep abroad. Well done Brown for yet another cock up.

Another thread all together but lots (not all) but lots of those foreign lorries are also not up to the minimal standards of safety requirements mechanically thus creating a further set of problems that the Police have little time to assess/prosecute, therefor createing more potential danger to joe public motorist.

Edited by mayesprit

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk - that will teach us to keep mouth shut!

Here in Oz the Haulage companies pay for fuel at an almost tax free price. So their fuel price is just less than half the bowser price. I thought this was a world wide practise, but obviously not.

Simon  (94 S4)      My Esprit will be for sale in late 2017

went to get the weekly shop and fill the daily drive this morning, massive queues at the pump at my local morrisons, thought the govement said no need to panic buy.......must not be getting the message in the midlands

The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself.

Friedrich Nietzsche

find me on Tripadvisor

http://www.tripadvis...mbers/espritguy

And here. The cheapest places (where I fill up) like Tescos had massive queues today. It took me nearly 30 mins to get to a pump and I was totally empty so wasn't panic buying. The guy infront of me managed to squeeze in

Possibly save your life. Check out this website.
http://everyman-campaign.org/

Distributor for 'Every Male' grooming products. (Discounts for any TLF members hairier than I am!)

:)

If you waived the fuel tax, how else would the UK be able to pay for all the new immigrants that will continue to flow (at an ever accelerating rate) into the UK. I remember being invited to a house around the corner from us in Sunbury on Thames a few years back. This was an immigrant family of 7. Only arrived recently , but had a nice 4 bedroom house (pretty much rent free) courtesy of Mr. B and they weren't short on cash in hand either - that absolutely amazed me. Someone's going to have to blow up the Chunnel for starters.

90 squid

Wow - That's getting up there. That equates to around Au$200. New laptops are advertised at $500. That means to and a bit fillups or get a free laptop...

The old man runs a 135 litre tank in his off roader - almost need a mortgage for that one.

Edited by s4simon

As some may know I sort of work in the oil biz, in that I work for Calor Gas an LPG supplier and for those that don't know LPG stands for Liquified Petroleum Gas.

First to the main question "am I using my Esprit less" defo, this is the first year in the 4 years I have owned my car that I am not worried about going over my 5000 mile per year insurance allowance, and have even thought about reducing it to 3000 for next year.

My actual job is a National Account manager looking after the forecourt sector. Among my accounts are Morrisons and Pace/Malthurst the UK's largest independant forecourt group. Someone earlier mentioned VAT and good old captain Darling has kept his mouth shut over the extra VAT he is raking in, so lets have a look at how much extra VAT is is getting over fuel prices just over a year ago.

With a litre of Petrol at anything upto

There was a film once where Richard Prior worked in Payroll. He was able to re direct the odd cents on the companies employees wage and rounded down into his own pay packet. (was it Brewsters Millions)?

So..........if you go to the local petrol station and ask for 1 litre of fuel, you are charged at the higher rate ie. 107.6 per litre actually costs 108 pence.

Multiply that by the amounts sold and the oil companies earn a fortune (don t think the rounded up bit would attract fuel tax so its straight into the garage/oil companies till)

Is there another reason why fuel is now charged for by the decimal?? :)

I have to ask myself - 'do I feel lucky'?

Is there another reason why fuel is now charged for by the decimal??

Because it looks a lot cheaper to women.

107.9 (bargain)

or

108 (expensive)

There was a film once where Richard Prior worked in Payroll. He was able to re direct the odd cents on the companies employees wage and rounded down into his own pay packet. (was it Brewsters Millions)?

It was Superman 3. And also in Office Space, where they quote it as being done in Superman 3 !

Right then, said Fred.

Opec seems to think a barrel of oil could reach $200! Goodness knows what that would mean for petrol prices.

If I try to keep a positive attitude then in some ways we will be less effected in the UK than in countries like the US with low fuel tax.

If oil goes up from $110 / $120 to $200 then the price of a gallon of fuel in the US will double. In the UK the cost of the petrol is a fairly small part of the cost of what we pay, the majority is a fixed tax which will not alter. At $200 per barrel our fuel price will go up from