free hit
counters
Fuel Prices - Page 7 - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

indeed utter tosh and I thought the price was going up because of the huge demand in China.

Mike Kimberly at the launch of the Lotus Evora,

"These cars will be for the few who know the difference!"

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

All news channels now need to make a point, a 2 minute story at the top of the hour and embarrass those forecourt oligarchs!

Mike Kimberly at the launch of the Lotus Evora,

"These cars will be for the few who know the difference!"

Petrol is artificially high here at the moment because of delivery problems. Something to do with pipelines being damaged after a recent hurricane. This means that petrol is more expensive here than in California which is usually the most expensive place although it did drop about 30c a gallon last weekend.

The wife was filling up in Florida the other week and the price went down while she was at the pump. How does that work? They weren't having a delivery at the time so they hadn't just got in a cheaper batch. It was obviously a response to market pressure. Just like the prices now. They are higher than they could be because people got used to higher prices and so are happy with a small drop.

S4 Elan, Elan +2S, Federal-spec, World Championship Edition S2 Esprit #42, S1 Elise, Excel SE

100.9 for Super today :whistle:

How come domestic fuel prices aren't going down? Didn't they just rise 30something % 'cos of rising oil costs?

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Could be something to do with the forward purchasing of product. For instance we purchased x tonnes of gas in July when the price was $870 per tonne and $2 to the

101.9 here but with 5p a litre off cause I shop there makes it 96.9 Cool!

I understand what you are saying about domestic pricing but how come my Gas and Electricity supplier put there prices up virtually straight away....and twice in as many months, but I can guarantee they won't drop it as quick!!

Possibly save your life. Check out this website.
http://everyman-campaign.org/

Distributor for 'Every Male' grooming products. (Discounts for any TLF members hairier than I am!)

http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/busi...icle5028194.ece

To be honest, I'd happily bomb their offices.

Evora NA

Bibs. You beat me to it! Just saw it on Sky news. Totally obscene and makes total garbage of their "Fuel bunkering" excuse. The profit increase was put down purely and simply to fuel prices.

I'll come join you with the bombing.

Distributor for 'Every Male' grooming products. (Discounts for any TLF members hairier than I am!)

well at present my mate (garage guy) is testing acetone as a aditive so stay tuned for the results, rumour is it could increase your mpg by 15-35% depending on car etc etc etc.

wont be doing it to the esprit but worth ago in the merc. the results i have seen for merc's are quite impressive and 1 litre of acetone

is good for approx 5000 gallons.

always good someone else is testing it first he he he

OUR CURRENT COLLECITON :- MODIFIED LOTUS ESPRIT, FULL VEILSIDE SUPRA (BEAST 409.3bhp), NEW ADDITON TO THE TROOP, 1996 S CLASS MERC (FULLY PIMPED OUT, DUB EDITION)

The article, in fact it's title certainly lean it that way!

Evora NA

I think it says 'Oil price' not 'Petrol price'.

BP's profits are mostly from Exploration not from Retail. Traditionally, the Retail side of oil companies makes return on investment of not much better than what you would get putting the money in the building society.

For the man in the street; I see petrol get very expensive, I see BP make billions and I buy petrol from BP petrol stations. I'll be using C4 :blush:

Evora NA

Well Shell are due to post results this week as well. They should also be very good (recently trend is a bit higher than BP). Not sure when Exxon (ESSO) will post, but they will be even bigger.

I personally don't blame the integrated oil companies, it's OPEC that as we speak is cutting production to force oil prices higher. Then the petrol price will also rise again!

The problem is that manin the street is only whos advantage is cheap price. All others, opec, oil companies, covernments, wants to maximixe their incomes.

Peter,

They are limited by Competition true. But they retained a higher margin than they should have when prices went down. Prices dropped a lot slower than they rose. They also make a percentile margin therefore the higher the price the more profit they make.

According to "Energy News" BP's Petrol Sales Profits were up 83% at

Peter,

They are limited by Competition true. But they retained a higher margin than they should have when prices went down. Prices dropped a lot slower than they rose. They also make a percentile margin therefore the higher the price the more profit they make.

According to "Energy News" BP's Petrol Sales Profits were up 83% at

Selling petrol retail is a complete waste of time as the margins are non-existent. Only one third of the petrol stations that existed in 1970 still exist. Of those, the big oil companies either own directly or franchise the forecourt. The petrol sales are only used to get people in the shops, which are profitable. Also, since they have high cash flow many garages are simply fronts for money laundering operations.

As for the supermarkets, like much of their products, petrol is a loss leader, and is again used to lure you into the store. Essentially, you feel happy as you are getting ripped off as you paid less for your petrol, but through the nose for your vegetables. Marketing and psychology, I love it.

As for oil companies, big oil now control very little of the oil left on the planet. They are making record profits in the same way the banks were making record profits up till this year. Expect them to be in big trouble very soon.

As for the oil itself, the OPEC countries themselves are enjoying increased usage internally so any production increases are being wiped out.

Oil prices are going to be increasingly volatile for many reasons but the current slump is due to the strength of the dollar (as the dollar is seen as the traditional safe haven, and oil is always paid for in dollars), as well as a reduction in demand as the world slips into depression.

This means that oil exploration and production that was worthwhile whilst oil was above $100 a barrel will now be shelved, exaserbating the problem in the near term.

Oil makes the world go round.

Edited by SMAC67