free hit
counters
Crank spigot bearing - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Crank spigot bearing

I tried to find out if there was something about replacing the crank spiggot bearing in the service manual but cant find anything. I know I could bash it and collapse it in but was wondering if there was a more subtle way?

Edited by USAndretti42

"Belief is the enemy of knowing" - Crrow777

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know if it will work with the Esprit bearing but in the past on other engines I have put a load of grease in the middle of the bearing. Then I get something that is a decent fit inside the bearing (a clutch aligning tool is ideal). Then tap that into the bearing. The grease has nowhere to go so pushes the bearing out. Once it's out far enough you can pull it out with some pliers.

S4 Elan, Elan +2S, Federal-spec, World Championship Edition S2 Esprit #42, S1 Elise, Excel SE

I tried to find out if there was something about replacing the crank spiggot bearing in the service manual but cant find anything. I know I could bash it and collapse it in but was wondering if there was a more subtle way?

Find a piece of steel bar or anything that is a sliding fit in the spigot bearing. Fill the bearing with grease, then fit your steel bar etc into the bearing until it contacts the grease. Then hit the end of the bar with a hammer. The hydraulic pressure will force the old spigot bearing out of the flywheel. An old mechanic's trick that works a treat with a plain bush bearing. :) Should also work with a needle roller bearing with care.

Edited by PVK 596Y

One good thump with a big hammer works best...tapping it is for wimps!!

Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." - Albert Einstein

Pleased to say the grease trick worked a treat. Hit it with the hammer and was suprised how solid the grease felt. A couple of blows and it was out!!! Many thanks for all for the advise. Like I said I knew I could crunch it out but thought there must be another way!!!!

Buddsy

Thanks for the offer Andy, I think Simon has bought a new bearing for his, so maybe he will need his removing too!! The grease way did work amazingly well though!

It's a small roller bearing that goes in a recessed area of the end of the crank shaft, this allows the input shaft of the trans-axle to go into it, providing support at the end where the clutch is.

Earlier ones had a metal bush, later cars went to a bearing as it has a longer life, lower resistance, generates less heat and can run on smaller clearances so give less movement of the shaft.

Andy

Buddsy,

You are quite correct, i do need to get my spiggot bearing out, i might just try the grease trick! Failing that i will pop round to Bawburgh and pick up andy's bearing puller!!

Hows your engine looking now? You must be nearly ready for your engine hoist back! You will have to do me just one small favour before you can have it though!!

HELP ME PUT MINE BACK IN!

Best wishes

Si

REHABS FOR QUITTERS!!

• 2 years later...

Guys,

This was a top tip. One to add is the perfect fit for the bearing is a 15mm piece of copper heating pipe. I filled it with fibreglass to make it solid and belted it and out the bearing shot! Lovely

When I got the bearing out realised something strange, the old bearing is 14.5 mm deep, the new one is 11mm deep and the spacer is 7mm deep. The hole where the spigot bearing fits is deeper than the new spacer and bearing combined by about 4mm - 5 mm. Has anyone else found this to be the case, I have the bearing fitted so its flush with the outside of the crank but Im aware that it could move back a few mm before the spacer stops it. Is this an issue or should the bearing be set further in the crank?

cheers

Frank

Frank the bearing must be fitted flush with the crank to avoid the input shaft from contacting the crank. There is no need for a spacer behind the bearing and some clearance is normal. If you completely fill the void it may become more difficult to remove the bearing.

I trust that the spacer you are referring to is not the nylatron washer fitted between the spigot bearing and shaft? not behind it!

Steve

Frank...I had exactly the same thing. I bought a spacer from S&J...I was about to install it when my usual instincts kicked in and I did some measuring. Had I fitted the bearing into the hole to mate up with the spacer, the bearing would have been well below the correct position. So I left the spacer out...no need for it, in any case, it is only intended as a modification to prevent the bearing from being installed too deeply (!). The bearing itself must go flush with the face of the crankshaft. Once in, it shouldn't move as the fit is such as to grip the thing enough to prevent this. You've got it right!!

Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." - Albert Einstein

If you ever have the crankshaft out, it is a good idea to have the spigot bearing pocket enlarged to fit a real bearing like the later Esprits. This eliminates any problems with failure or omission of the nylatron washer and wimpy input shaft retaining clip in the Citroen gearbox. Otherwise the input shaft can machine its way into the crankshaft far enough that the splines on the other end fail. Messy.

Mike - '83 Esprit Turbo, Turbo St. Tropez,  '87 Esprit Turbo  (FrankEnSPRIT), '05 Elise