free hit
counters
Oil Pressure - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
CBrownstead

Oil Pressure

My oil pressure went to 0 today while driving, I pulled over, the car did not overheat, start to get hot, smell . . . nothing, so I started out slowly. Ended up that it is driving fine. I noticed the other day the guage sat below zero and then all the sudden jumped to normal range . . . I am thinking sendor or guage . . .is there an ez diagnostic? Can I apply a small current to the sendor or ohm it out? I hope it is the sendor and not the guage as that is more of a PITA . . . .

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

My 1990 NA I had last year did the same trick when I first got it. The connetion to the sender was loose. While the engine was running I could get my hand on the sender connection spade terminal and wiggle it and see the guage jump into life while peeping though the bulkhead window (bit of a stretch).

Hope its just a bad contact!

Malc

I hope it is the sendor and not the guage as that is more of a PITA . . . .

Trust me, the sender is much more of a PITA, not to mention stupidly expensive.

Visit Sanj's Lotus Esprit Turbo SE pages

If we are talking about the 88, right underneath the carbys, between the starter motor and the oil filter, no you can't see without a mirror, but you can get your hand down there, cylindrical about 2 inches with 2 spade terminals on top, my money is one of them!

Hope I'm right, it's a cheap fix.

Roger

Life is like a sewer, what you get out of it, depends on what you put into it. (Tom Leahrer)

Chris, quite honestly the binnacle is not that hard to remove on an 88, either. I took mine off in a few minutes to replace the clock. The sender is the cheaper of the 2 hopefully that will be the culprit.

If it's the gauge, I think I have one. Which car is having the issue?

Edited by sanj

the 88 . . . the 88 is an issue . . .now the light pod wont go up and that darn relay snapping . . . I need to spend some time and fix her completely . . . it has been good driving weather and I recently purchased an old XJS . . . yes I like oil leaks . . . anyway . . .little time to mess with it . . . I will get to it soon.

I recently purchased an old XJS

Has any one else told you, you may need help?

Roger :)

Life is like a sewer, what you get out of it, depends on what you put into it. (Tom Leahrer)

Personally I would clean all your contacts, maybe do a little re-crimping, and then apply some di-electric grease to keep them clean. MY fuel, and oil senders used to jump around all the time until I cleaned them.

But, if you do need a sender, try Lotus.

I know I got a new sender from Lotus in the sale for

Edited by Vulcan Grey

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

My Lotus Photo and Projects Album

That sender is only for 0-5 bar pressure gauges...

Edited by sanj

Yes, I have been told I need to go to therapy . . . the XJS was in absolutely pristine condition, I was shocked . . . it quite literally was sitting in some old lady's garage. There was dust all over it, but it was so original it was sick. All the stickers all over the car, under the hood, even on the original battery compartment were there. There were issues with the car, some creature was nesting in the V and tore up the wiring harness surrounding the ignition amp etc . . . I purchased new ignition pick up coil and distro, plug wires, plugs . . . new battery and she fired right up, even the trip computer, orig radio work, the windows go up and down . . .just amazing. The leather needed some attention as it was dry and had sat for so long, the dash wood, so beautiful, but needs refinished . . . . all that work still left to do. But as you know, all I have to do is start that motor and hear that rumble roar and it is all worth it. I have driven her around the block a few times, but the brake master needs rebuilt I think. I purchased the kit. The parts are refreshingly cheap and ez to find after dealing with the LOTI !!! My wife is understanding, but she knew i was car crazy when she met me.

p.s. I am going to PA this week to pic up another purchase I just made . . . a 1992 BMW 750il V12 . . . hoping that it is in as good a shape, 59k miles so should be nice . . . gas craze has got these cars way undervalued . . . paid less than 2k for this one . . . . wish me luck . . .

That sender is only for 0-5 bar pressure gauges...

Is the 88 oil pressure sender not the same as the pre '93 Esprit sender?

And where are my reply buttons? There are no reply buttons at the bottom of peoples posts anymore. I do have Quote + buttons, but they don't really do anything without a reply button.

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

My Lotus Photo and Projects Album

I think you'll find the reply buttons have been deliberately removed.

A lot of people were quoting the previous message when replying in sequence, and it's only really necessary if you're replying to a mail before the most recent one.

Is the 88 oil pressure sender not the same as the pre '93 Esprit sender?

And where are my reply buttons? There are no reply buttons at the bottom of peoples posts anymore. I do have Quote + buttons, but they don't really do anything without a reply button.

Click Quote, then Add Reply at the bottom of the page.

The '88 gauge and sender are lower in pressure (5 bar/7 bar) than the later gauge and sender (7 bar/10 bar). I presume mixing the sender for one with the gauge for the other may lead to incorrect readings...