free hit
counters
Fog Light(s) asymetrical luminosity - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Iconic Ride

Fog Light(s) asymetrical luminosity

Recently had the bulb to one of my fog lights replaced and noticed a substantial difference in brightness between the two upon completion. The replacement bulb came straight from Lotus (was actually removed from the complete light assembly, as the wrong side was sent---the original plan was to replace the entire unit, as the original problem was "intermittent illumination"--a slightly loose ground ("earth" in the UK and other areas of the empire) wire was found and tightened). The old bulb had the following imprinted on it: 21W 12V 55W. How can a bulb have two watt ratings? Which is correct? Never even thought to examine the imprinting on the new bulb, as it came directly out of the new unit, so can't say what it was. Of course now it's covered up by the access panel, front spoiler and 10,000 screws and bolts attaching same, and no longer on the lift. The newer bulb is the brighter of the two. Has some "improvement" been achieved over the old bulb? They visually looked identical to each other. Just curious.

Cheers,

John

Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

The two wattage ratings usually indicate a dual purpose bulb e.g. dip and main beam or side and dip beam. Also used in the rear cluster for side and brake light.

Could be that Lotus or whoever the original manufacturer was simply used an available bulb at the time.

Dave - 2000 Sport 350

Normally a dual power bulb would be voltage then both power ratings (12v 5/21W or similar), I wonder if the 21w is a manufacturing code.

OR

Could it be the bulb type H1? (don't know the type off the top of head)

Andy

Ah, "the plot thickens!" I was aware that [highbeam] headlamps and brake lights do, in fact, have dual watt ratings (for obvious reasons). But a dual watt fog lamp? I suppose if I wanted to go to the trouble, I could rig the electrical contacts to allow for selection between the two (would, of course, have to procure a dual selection instrument switch as well) and thus own the only extant Esprit with low beam/high beam fog lights (the "highs" to be used, naturally, on REALLY foggy "pea soup" days--assuming that the "backscatter" from a fog light is not as intense, due to lower position and angle, as a normal headlamp on high beam). Not sure if the bragging rights are sufficient to warrant the effort though.

Retaining a positive outlook, when the time comes to replace the other bulb, I'll have at least a 50/50 chance that the second light's illumination will match the recent one's.

Cheers! :)

John

How many terminals did the old bulb have?

One= definitely only 1 tfilamnet = one power rating

Two= possibly 2 filaments if the casing is the earth= 2 ratings, otherwise one filament = one rating

Three= 2 filaments = dual rating

According to the owner's handbook the fog light should have one of these

H3PK22S12V55W.jpg

rated 55W and looks like only one terminal. Maybe the previous owner put a different bulb in??

Dave - 2000 Sport 350

Andy and Dave, the "old" bulb had only one filament, thus I think Andy may be correct (based on the "order" in which the numbers are embossed) in thinking that the 21W may be some sort of "manufacturing code." Especially, Dave, since you pointed out that the wattage should be 55W. As noted, I didn't have the opportunity (presence of mind?) to check the replacement bulb's emobossings (a lesson to be learned, perhaps?) as it came directly out of a brand new unit. I suppose it's at least possible that there is just "variance" among "like watted" bulbs. Still, the difference in brightness is significant. The reflectors on both units appear to be equally "polished" in nature. Never thought to compare the brightness prior to the changeout, as I was "fixated" on the problem of intermittentcy of the single unit. On the bright side (pun, pun) I am pleased that the greater illumination happens to be on the driver's side.

Thanks again for the input.

John