free hit
counters
Bouncing headlights - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

I will not let it be said I ignore faults on my car that cause issues for other drivers.

OK, not ignore them for ever, fault does not equate to quirk, drivers do not include utter tos***s.

So, I've been told me headlights bounce a lot fom people's perspective when driving in front of me.

I can see an amount of bounce myself.

I guessed it would be the joints, the bolts that go into the rose joints as I replaced the rose joints when I pu the car on the road 18 months ago.

I found they're OK.

I can see 2 places that are giving some of the bounce, the first can eb cured easily.

The part of the pod that the arm secures to (metal U shaped bracket) is flexing, so I can place a sheet of ali to reinforce it.

The second part is more difficult, the arm of the lifting motor has some rotational play in it. I've already looked at the motor armature adjustment, it's as tight as it can reasonably go without unduly tightening it's rotation. That still leaves nearly 5 degrees of play.

Has anybody got any suggestions other than, replace the motor or use a spring to give some resistance to the bounce.

I have considered a strip of sprung steel with a dip in it so that when the arm reaches maximum movement it soft locks into place.

Andy

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good topic Andy, I have this problem also and use two soft springs to dampen the backlash - works very well although

I am concerned it will make the problem worse with time - so your soft-lock system sounds good.

Got a sketch of what you are thinking about?

Iain

I'm thinking something like the image,bit more rounded to follow the arc between points 2 and 3.

Point 1, a securing bolt , point 2, another bolt, but only resting against it. Point 3 is where the bolt in the arm (or something else) could rest when the lights are up.

Alternatively, I could fit a spring to only have tension or compression at near full extension, that way it doesn't ad much strain to the motors.

Andy

post-1468-1209158511.jpg

This any good?

http://www.unity1.co.uk/Lotus

scroll down first page and click on headlamp bounce. I need to sort mine out I have not looked yet but is there any need for rose joints? As these would look tobe what causes the bounce when they wear.

Edited by red vtec

Amateurs built the Ark

Professionals built the Titanic

"I haven't ridden in cars pulled by cows before" "Bullocks, Mr.Belcher" "No, I haven't, honestly"

Unfortunately my bounce is caused elsewhere. I had the issue of the warn joints, and replaced them when I completed a lot of work 18months ago.

I think the rose joints are necessary as the motor may not run exactly in line with the headlight pod line, I think it's very close, but perhaps not perfect. Having said that, if you remove the rose joints, what to you replace it with as you still need some way of having a bar secured at both ends but not rotating in a big arc?

Andy

I'll have a look in a bit. There must be a reason for the rose joints, but they also seem to be the cause of bounce. Does the bar just need to rotate on the ends?

Amateurs built the Ark

"I haven't ridden in cars pulled by cows before" "Bullocks, Mr.Belcher" "No, I haven't, honestly"

had a look at mine and basically it looks like the hole on the rose joint is slightly to big for the rod that goes throught it and hence the bounce. need to see what I can do about it.

Amateurs built the Ark

• 1 month later...

Found the issue with mine, and fixed it.

The Delrin bushes that sit between the toothed wheel and the output shaft had been so badly deformed with repeated application of force they were allowing the output shaft to rotate approx 5* which in turn meant the arm wasn't resting securely against the rubber buffer at full rise. Hence the judder.

So anybody ahead of me at night should see an improvement now, instead of my headlights strobing through their re-hatch louvres, they'll be there permanently.

Andy