free hit
counters
confessions of a hippy - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums - Lotus Community Partner #ForTheOwners Jump to content

IGNORED

confessions of a hippy

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Errr.....

Your mad, they are horid hunks of junk.....

Would never be seen driving one

Really don't see peoples obsession with them...

But hey.... That's only my opinion, don't let me put you off doing something. And I guess you could have some fab times away with your kids

Simon x peace sister

Chunky Lover

I think they're great, as long as you don't want to go fast (or fast round corners to be more precise). I've seen one that looked really rough, but sounded unusual, found out the guy has a 3l Porsche unit in it.

A mate (lost in Thailand in the Tsunami) had one, if you thought an esprit was a money pit, it's a minor pot hole compared to a camper van. We don't get body rot, most of our cars has zinc coated chassis from new, our cabin interiors are small so don't require mush material to re-fit, The camper vans have those issues to deal with, then there's the money peolpe spend getting them to produce more than 30-40 BHP (may have started with more than that, but through engine wear they loose lots of power).

So, now I've said all those negative points, I still say they're great.

I can see the attraction, they look great, but marry a welder first and have a mechanic and painter on the side. There was a spanky one in a magazine (actually owned by a Lotus salesman, he put Elise lights on the back), and I'm sute it cost him 30 grand to do.

If you fancy a camper there are much cheaper and equally as interesting vehicles pop up, there was a Corvair one on Ebay went for a couple of grand, if you want to look like Scooby Doo!

In the garage no-one can hear you scream 

My brother has had several...took one to Lindos laden with windsurfers..rebuilt another; LOTS of welding...my driving impressions: at last I've found the vehicle our speed limits are meant for!! Anything over the limit and you feel not just unsafe but positively frightened. That includes those bends where they post advisory speeds..you know: 50 MPH, when anything could get round at 65...well, a camper van wouldn't!! They are great fun and useful as mobile command centres for weekends out with the aeroplane and the rest of it's owners, or the National Model Aircraft Championships or suchlike..the ability to produce bacon banjos on demand is a very positive point!!

Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." - Albert Einstein

lol thanks for the replies :)

I know there would be alot of continual jobs to be done and money would have to be spent, its only a dream and to be honest when has reality ever intruded in dreams lol it will probably never happen but hey, a girl can dream.....:D

lol and since I have other dreams including owning esprit or exige then it keeps me in balance :)

still out of pocket lol

Glyn Heron is/was restoring one. He'll be a fountain of knowledge if you decide to take the plunge.

Graham

Wing Commander Dibble DFC<br /><br />
North Midlands Esprit Group<br /><br />
NMEG "the formidable squadron"<br /><br />
"probably the most active Esprit group in the world" Andy Betts, Castle Combe May 2007

One of my suppliers has 3. All mod'ed to hell, big alloys, glass roofs, black windows etc. Very nice.

Possibly save your life. Check out this website.
http://everyman-campaign.org/

Distributor for 'Every Male' grooming products. (Discounts for any TLF members hairier than I am!)

Have 'stayed' in a few campers. The people that own them spend loads of time getting them

kitted out how they want. The camper conversion itself was done by several different companies

at the time, so be sure the style you want. On some the roof just pops straight up and there are

two swing out bunks, on others it opens sideways and there are three bunks for example.

I remember getting soaked while sleeping in one in wales, it leaked so bad. That one continued to

leak through the winter until all the units (kitchen) inside were ruined beyond repair. Also the rivets

that helt the bunks up (4ft in the air) failed and you woke up falling. The 240v invertor alone kept you

wide awake, wondering if when the van caught fire, you could get out before the gas tank went up.

The interior smelt of hashish and there were rotting magic mushrooms trodden into the always wet

carpet. Have always since taken and used a tent, venturing near the camper only when the smell of

bacon presents itself.

One thing is for sure, like modded cars people spend thousands and thousands and then sell

the things. Got to be some bargain good ones about, go to a bug fest or the big VW show at

santa pod, you are bound to see some nice finished ones for sale.

:D

My mate Jim really fancies a split screen camper, trouble is prices are now getting to silly levels with even the bay window versions fetching good money. the owners club has a section calles BWA which stands for Busses With Attetude. To join you have to do a Standing Qtr in under 18 secs which usually means Porsche power or a Turbo. Thing is they are really easy to work on and you can get an engine out in 5 mins with practice, as for upgrades a 3ltr 911 engine will bolt straight to the gearbox. If however you want something reliable and good value I would recommend the Mazda Frendiee, similar size to a Transporter, and you can get a fully converted one for under 10 grand.

So cool! Brings back childhood memories, my best friend's mom had one back in the late sixties. Drove us all over the place. Where I live its all Tourans, Cayennes, Volvo XC90s, Merc GLs, M's, Z's and XXX'es and all of these other horrible housewife-tanks (on a note, why do none of these battleships have handsfree installed??).

Imagine dropping your kids off at school in a genuine bona-fide hippie-wagon!!! Wow!

lo.jpg

This way to ship models! http://www.modelship...user-index.html

AELLEF_Esprit_27.jpg

I think those old "peace wagons" are cool . . . but in addition to being slow, rusty, and not able to handle . . . one must consider safety for a moment when considering the purchase of a car. I think those original buses from the 60s rank just above the BMW Isetta in occupant protection! :lol:

I still think they're cool, though! :D

Tony K. :)

Esprit S1s #355H & 454H

Esprit S2.2  #324J

1991 Esprit SE

You can fit an impreza engine to them, seen that done a couple of times and the is one legendary one which I think was a type 25 which is seen on you tube passing a 911 turbo(new one ) and a DB9 on the straight at spa I think. Its gets to the corner and you think that's where they'll get him back and it just rockets round and sods off!!!

Money you can plough in is frightening though!!!

All the crash protection of a paper bag!

You can still buy brand new ones! I think they are built in Brazil and come with a water-cooled engine. You can spot them because the "spare Wheel" on the front is in fact the radiator and the real spare wheel is fitted on the rear tailgate. Expensive and - not very good.

All the crash protection of a paper bag!

You can still buy brand new ones! I think they are built in Brazil and come with a water-cooled engine. You can spot them because the "spare Wheel" on the front is in fact the radiator and the real spare wheel is fitted on the rear tailgate. Expensive and - not very good.

When I was in Brazil in 2001, there were a bunch of them used at the airports as utility vehicles. They all looked brand new. I couldn't believe it!

If they are still in production, I wonder how many more years they have to go to outlive the Beetle for the title of "longest production run" . . . .

Tony K. :)

Esprit S1s #355H & 454H

Esprit S2.2  #324J

1991 Esprit SE

Good buyers guide in May 2008 Classic and Sportscar...

"... the Lotus Turbo (Esprit) owner will not only be comfortable in fast company, but will find, more often than not, that he has no company at all!" Road and Track magazine

1983 Turbo Esprit - Silver - 'Lottie' Featured in Classic and Sportscar Aug 2008 and Wheeler Dealers.

1999 Elise - Norfolk Mustard - 'Liz' Daily driver - 221,000 miles and counting!