free hit
counters
PICS AND VIDEO - Car Party at Tony K's House - Topics - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Tony K

PICS AND VIDEO - Car Party at Tony K's House

SCROLL TO THE BOTTOM FOR YOUTUBE VIDEO OF A LOLA T340 AND EVENT PICS! :D

Hello all,

I have a number of friends in and around Ohio, Michigan, Kentucky, and PA with a great selection of classic/exotic type of sports cars. Some of the cars owned among them include multiple of each Esprits, Porsches, Maseratis, Ferraris, Jaguars, an Alfa and a DeLorean; all from the 1970s and 80s. Two summers ago, when Patty and I bought our house, whe hosted a party that ended up being in part a small car show, thanks to some of those who attended.

Two years ago was a great time, so I made the suggestioin to few of these people of having a party just for our breed of car freaks, and they think it's a great idea. So, it's gonna happen. I'm thinking of a weekend in the second half of June or the first half of July, but later in July is a possibility, too. I can hold about a dozen cars in my back yard if you include the driveway, we have a shiny new gas grill and two refrigerators, and there are some twisty rural routes about 20 minutes north of me in Michigan. We can also accommodate at least 4 or 5 people overnight, as we did last time.

Consider this an open invitation to anyone who wants to make the drive to Toledo. Last time we had people coming from Cleveland, Cincy, Columbus, Detroit, and Erie PA. If you want to be a part of it, email me at [email protected] so I can put you on an email list. We're gonna have it on whatever weekend works the best for the most people.

Cheers,

Tony K. :)

Edited by Tony K

Esprit S1s #355H & 454H

Esprit S2.2  #324J

1991 Esprit SE

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

The party will be Saturday, JULY 12.

So far we have 8 cars, not including (any of) mine.

What I'm thinking is people show up, we have a cookout, b.s. about cars/fix something/whatever, go for a drive, then hang out until whenever. For those who want to stay late, we have a small bar downstairs, racing videos and movies, and huge speakers hooked up to the DVD (and we can accommodate at least 4-5 people overnight, as we did last time; there is a brand new Fairfield Inn near by, too).

I checked the dates of the usual big car shows, races, vintage races, etc., and the 12th has the least amount of conflict. As a bonus, if anyone wanted to show up on Friday the 11th, that is the evening of the Rolling Sculpture Car Show in Ann Arbor.

Obviously, your wives/girlfriends/hot female friends are invited. Patty will be happy to meet them, and see again the people she already knows.

Patty and I will be supplying lots of good food and beverages. You need not bring anything, just hopefully your classic/sports car.

The Tony K. house is 45 minutes from Windsor/Detroit; two hours from Columbus, Ohio; 3 1/2 hours from Chicago; 1:45 from Cleveland; three hours from Cincinnati.

We have three LEFers so far; let's get more! Lurkers, come out and play! ;)

- Tony

Edited by Tony K

Esprit S1s #355H & 454H

Esprit S2.2  #324J

1991 Esprit SE

It is ALMOST a pity I broke up with my ex. Her folks live in Assumption Ohio, about 20 minutes from you and we were normally up there that time of year.

Tony,

This is an awesome idea...someone on the east side of PA needs to do something like you are! If I had a big enough place I would host...Great job getting the car nuts together!

Jason

bumpity bump!!! :thumbsup:

(see update in first post)

Esprit S1s #355H & 454H

Esprit S2.2  #324J

1991 Esprit SE

CHECK OUT THIS LOLA T340 THAT SHOWED UP AT MY HOUSE -- The owner lives in the neighborhood, and DROVE IT to the party -- it was hilarious! :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-HxaZQpOwQ

Edited by Tony K

Esprit S1s #355H & 454H

Esprit S2.2  #324J

1991 Esprit SE

;) Bet he didn't bring a case of beer in the boot! :)

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Welcome to the Tony K Car Party, a lawn full of classic cars!

DSCF1330.jpg

Count the cars in this photo!

DSCF1328.jpg

Blue S1 is happy surrounded by friends!

DSCF1329.jpg

Cool Gulf Blue 911...

DSCF1368.jpg

Here's a better look:

DSCF1333.jpg

The keen observer will note that I still have my Ferrari...

DSCF1363.jpg

YAY! I get to sit in the race car! It is a Lola T340, ex-Michael Andretti:

DSCF1371.jpg

Going for the "serious look" ;)

DSCF1373.jpg

Orange S1 made its debut. Ooh, it's so crisp and clean!

DSCF1359.jpg

Orange Esprit and red Maserati! Giugiaro's absolute FINEST.

DSCF1357.jpg

Let's take another look at that gorgeous 1975 Merak:

DSCF1342.jpg

Orange S1 is so period perfect.

DSCF1341.jpg

Esprit, Merak, 308 . . . this is MECCA! :)

DSCF1340.jpg

Out to the driveway . . . what's that in the corner of the photo?

DSCF1337.jpg

An Esprit Turbo SE!

DSCF1336.jpg

One more look at the most beautiful designs ever to make it to production -- thanks Fioravanti and Giugiaro! :)

DSCF1334.jpg

There was also a gorgeous E-Type convertible that left early, a retro cool modified 1958 Beetle, and an incredibly clean and flawless 5-speed Mustang convertible that I didn't get photos of.

Everyone had a good time, and many of us agreed that this little party was the best automotive event ever held in Toledo! :P

Cheers,

Tony

:huh: Bet he didn't bring a case of beer in the boot! :P

LOL! :D

Thanks for the YouTube rating, Bibs! :)

Esprit S1s #355H & 454H

Esprit S2.2  #324J

1991 Esprit SE

That looks like my idea of a party! A car party - thats such a simple idea. A chair, food, the odd beer and a fantastic view - what more could you want. B)

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk - that will teach us to keep mouth shut!

Tip Top. Superb ;)

Caught between a rock and a hard place in a catch 22 situation, So its 6 of one and half a dozen of the other. Your damned if you do, but your damned if you don't so shut your cock!!!!!!!!!!!

Lotus Espirt Turbo S3    

Lotus Esprit S4 

Lotus Elise S2 Sport 130

pig_zps6d7342f1.jpg

Your house is becoming a mecca for classic cars, Tony. Looks like a great times was had by all. Thanks for the pictures. Wish I could have been there

S4 Elan, Elan +2S, Federal-spec, World Championship Edition S2 Esprit #42, S1 Elise, Excel SE

Tony, I knew I would be missing out.... It just wasn't in the cards that I could make the trip. You had a super nice turnout! I am actually really bummed I couldn't attend ;) Maybe I'll host the next one. I got a few flat acres to park cars on... B)

The Lola was a hoot! How cool he drove it on public streets! :lol

That's a good idea a car party! With the fuel price these days it is a simple solution to enjoy your cars.

Thanks for the nice pics.

Cheers,

Jean

tony

looks like a fantastic event... whats the merak like? ive always been interested in them but never driven one. is that an early version with the DS dash? did you get a chance to drive or ride in one yet? they seem to be very stoutly engineered hence there hefty weight. probably make a fantastic GT car. too bad it has the problematic and underpowered DS motor. some of the very late version had ZF boxes from the bora...i dont think many or any made it across the pond here unfortunately

warm regards

pp

Thank you for the kind words, everyone! :welcome:

The party was a great way for people to meet. More than half of the people who came didn't know anyone else but me, and they all left having made new friends.

PP -- The Merak is far more civilized than either the early Esprit or the 308. It is absolutely a GT car (and the most handsome ever made, IMHO). It has lots of room in the cabin, road and engine noise is enjoyable but not intrusive like in the other mid-engined cars. It is overall a very comfortable car.

This particular one is a 1975 model year -- it has the Citroen SM dash and hydraulics, but was one of the very first with the uprated engine as found in the SS. Meraks can be driven like normal cars and go for years without expensive service, and are a great and reliable choice for people who want an "exotic" mid-engined sports car but are not mechanically inclined at all. There are only two things really problematic about the SM motor: early versions could benefit from timing chain tensioner upgrade, and the hollow valve stems can corrode and break on ones that sit dormant for long periods of time. My worst complaint about the Merak is that internally it is more complicated than sophisticated. It just seems that many basic things under the car's skin are unnecessarily complicated and could be improved with simplicity. Still, one of my favorite cars in the world. The owner left the car here for some work and took my 308 home. I will enjoy the 100+ mile trip ahead of me in the Merak. ;)

Esprit S1s #355H & 454H

Esprit S2.2  #324J

1991 Esprit SE

Sign in to follow this