free hit
counters
100,000 miles - Misc including parts cross references - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Winter

100,000 miles

I took this earlier today to mark the occasion.

I have had the car for nearly eight years and use it as everyday transport. Not sure that that is neccessarily wise but it brings a smile to my face at least twice a day.

post-190-1209666709.jpg

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Well done,

May she serve you many more happy trouble free miles :D

regards danny

A

It marks 33 years of uninterrupted Lotus ownership.

Once bitten, forever smitten.

First, a regency red Europa twin cam, then a John Player Special +2S 130/5 followed by a JPS Europa. I still have the Europa, it is one of the 100 that were built to celebrate Lotus' 50th grand prix win. I crashed it in 1984, bought the wreck - a story in itself in duplicity by an ex Lotus dealer who also wanted the salvage to make a big profit.

The late Graham Arnold came to my rescue. It was a major lesson in dodgy goings on in which assessors, insurance companies and garages can participate. I have been rebuilding it since. I hope one day that the black-and-gold-bodied-oatmeal-interiored-completely-rebuilt beauty returns to the road.

The Esprit is on its second engine. The first was replaced by Lotus under warranty at 33,000 miles - not leaking liners, blown head gasket. It's on its third clutch although the third was probably premature. Juddering that called for the replacement was more than likely dry splines; the plates were little worn. Perhaps this is attributable to customary double-de-clutching and heeling-and-toeing.

Recent major overhauls include suspension - February this year - replaced with the factory upgrade along with PNM monster 6 front calipers and all four discs.

One alternator overhaul, one alternator replaced. Replacement of most of the front ac components and recored radiator. Recovered (by Lotus) magnolia seats piped in blue along with matching heritage badges. Many stone chips (respray looming, I'll retain the azure blue). Wheels refurbished two years ago.

One of three annual major polishing jobs due this coming weekend; it usually takes two days.

Flattened under-sill jacking plates to be replaced, perhaps this weekend as well. Gearbox oil seals to do - again.

Dealer-stamped full service history.

I bought the car in 2000 from Tom Hartley in 2000: bargain-basement section. Remarkable set-up. Worth a visit although such visits are by appointment only and are for serious buyers only.

My best pal had a track-day birthday present: Blue Gaillardo with blue and cream interior and F355; three or four laps in each.

"The Gaillardo was brilliant" he beamed, "Are you jealous?"

"Yes" I replied ( I quite like Gaillardos although they are hopelessly impractical. GT motoring? OK if you do a Cameron and helicopter your luggage ahead).

"You know how you felt? I get that thrill at least twice a day, not just for a few minutes". His response was curt and earthy . . .

Anyway, even though ingress and egress is not as svelte as it once was, once cosseted in the comfy driving seat, that smile returns . . .

Cool, well done!

A demonstration of how reliable our marque can be when looked after.

Nellie :D

Miles ?! Wow... :D

a bit over 108.000km now -so I'm far behind you

to name the things if I see them, that's what I call integrity..

Very impressive, congrats!

Well done !

Here is to many more enjoyable miles :lol:

1996 Esprit V8, 1998 Esprit V8 GT, 1999 Esprit S350 #002 (Esprit GT1 replica project), 1996 Esprit V8 GT1 (chassis 114-001), 1992 Lotus Omega (927E), 1999 Esprit V8SE, 1999 Esprit S350 #032, 1995 Esprit S4s, 1999 Esprit V8 GT (ex-5th Gear project), 1999 Esprit V8SE ('02 rear)

1999 S350 #002 Esprit GT1 replica

Many congrats Ed

I remember your Europa Special from Lotus Driver's Club track days at Wellsbourne, have you still got the picture I took of you??

Cheers,

John W

Cheers,

John W

http://jonwatkins.co.uk

update: 108.540km -original LH catalyst is now also shoot and my turbos are gone....

Turbo detailing:

Not as it does fail inside, it does only fall in parts because of the massive rust that attacks the fixings between the mainpart and the turbine housing! It was a real pain to unscrew them from the manifold [with the car on the ground!], and on one side the turbo disintegrated itself [could pull the compression side altogether with the main bearing, and exhaust side was still in place..]

So good luck for you all! And many more happy miles Edward

to name the things if I see them, that's what I call integrity..