free hit
counters
So what's up with all these Elises - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

So what's up with all these Elises

Oddly enough I haven't seen more than two Elises in California since they came out (a red one in the OC and a grey one in some bumf*ck norcal town)

Til today when I see two yellow ones on the highway (to the OC of course :)) Though to be fair, one of them was actually an imported S1... I was impressed

Despite Lotus hyperbole I'd pretty much assumed the Elise was a flop because I never, ever saw them. Seems like this is changing. Guess that's a good thing.

Similar phenomena everywhere else in the US? Or is CA behind for once :)

slade

"It's called a fire hydrant. Firemen like to stick their hose in it, and eventually squirt water from it."

Owner of 86 TE HCI, and 55 Chevy. Stare at broken down TR7

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Slade:

Lotus sold about 2,300 Elise in The USA last year. Hell of a lot by Lotus standards considering their best sales year in The USA before last year was around 350-400 cars. From 1976-2004 Lotus built 10,600+ Esprits so figure on a lot more Elise and Exige on our shores which is cool.

The Elise outnumbered the Esprit at LOG 25!

Feff

Must admit I'm suprised it's got a foot in the USA, it doesn't seem the kinda car that would fit onto the scene there - I lived in LA for a while and it mostly seemed like rice rockets and stuff.....having said that there are some roads north of LA I would have loved to take that car on, my ex out there would have adored the Elise, I bought a Dodge Spirit turbo thing when I was out there and she scared the dealer guy witless in the corners on the test drive :)

Wouldn't like to be in a crunch with it though - seen a few Elises smashed up and they hold up suprisingly well considered they are glued together....however vs them trucks and SUV's I don't now if I'd like to be caught squaring up to one of those.

Great to hear it's doing well out there too, phoenimal car.

Edited by Jonathan

facebook = [email protected]

i still haven't seen a lot of elises locally. i'm quite taken by them. especially the way they drive. the styling is a bit girly, and i can't say i'll ever own one. still no success finding a girlfriend with an elise, or convinced a girlfriend to buy an elise. once i do, i can borrow the car when i get the urge.

you should try one, it is a revelation. makes every other car feel leaden in comparison. doubt you will find a girlfriend with one though - not very girl friendly to get in and out of, and the top is fiddly. but the steering and razor sharp handling is better than any car bar none.

i did test drive it at a dealer when it first arrived onshore. your description is spot on. it isn't like any other car i've driven apart from mini f1s and other go carts. i'm still holding out for a bring and borrow elise. i think a limber petite girl could get in and out of these cars without care. they're affordable too when compared with most import roadsters.

Wouldn't like to be in a crunch with it though - seen a few Elises smashed up and they hold up suprisingly well considered they are glued together....however vs them trucks and SUV's I don't now if I'd like to be caught squaring up to one of those.

Great to hear it's doing well out there too, phoenimal car.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You don't want to know how many of those nearly kill me on a daily basis in the Esprit.

Teigan lives in the same area that I spend a lot of time in, so that's unsurprising :) Actually it is because it's f*cking newport beach and you see ferraris and bentleys on a daily basis

slade

Edited by slade

"It's called a fire hydrant. Firemen like to stick their hose in it, and eventually squirt water from it."

Owner of 86 TE HCI, and 55 Chevy. Stare at broken down TR7

You don't want to know how many of those nearly kill me on a daily basis in the Esprit.

Teigan lives in the same area that I spend a lot of time in, so that's unsurprising :) Actually it is because it's f*cking newport beach and you see ferraris and bentleys on a daily basis

slade

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I was in Newport Beach yesterday. Did the Pacific Coast Highway from Malibu to Laguna - what a bloody amazing place. I am totally hooked. I was driving and I couldn't stop car and bird spotting.

There's a dealership on the PCH that's just being extended (I can't remember the town it's in) that has a couple of Elises but 10 RR Phantoms :) That's

Jason

Land Rover Discovery II & waiting on next Esprit

you should have rung me when in newport. that phantom collection is here in town. funny about those auto dealerships. they seem to disappear overnight and i have to wonder where the cars go. glad you had fun on our coast. the local birds aren't as fly close up, but i still couldn't live anywhere else.

you should have rung me when in newport.  that phantom collection is here in town.  funny about those auto dealerships.  they seem to disappear overnight and i have to wonder where the cars go.  glad you had fun on our coast.  the local birds aren't as fly close up, but i still couldn't live anywhere else.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I didn't think at all :) Next time.

I'm in Chicago in January if anybody wants to take me for a hoon then :)

Jason

Land Rover Discovery II & waiting on next Esprit

There are quite a lot of female Elise drivers over here... alas most of them are Audi TT owners in disguise but there are a few who are genuine Lotus owners and they are definitely wife material!! :)

"When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked him to forgive me."

------------------------------

ribbon200.gifG-Car Owner and Proud! ribbon200.gif

I didn't think at all :)  Next time.

I'm in Chicago in January if anybody wants to take me for a hoon then :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I live 160miles from chicago? you gonna bring up your lotus? if you ring me up for a test drive please!

There are quite a lot of female Elise drivers over here... alas most of them are Audi TT owners in disguise but there are a few who are genuine Lotus owners and they are definitely wife material!! :huh:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

good luck with that. let us know how it pans out. wife material for me is any girl who doesn't leave within the month.

Why doesn't that surprise me?!?!?! :P

:huh:

"When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked him to forgive me."

There are quite a lot of female Elise drivers over here... alas most of them are Audi TT owners in disguise but there are a few who are genuine Lotus owners and they are definitely wife material!! :huh:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

hehehe...

I used to drive a TT...(the 1.8T) and it was fun, but def NOT an elise. While it had decent handling, it was a slug.

Oh, yea...I'm not an elise owner. I want an Esprit.

I figure any guy who will let me drive him around in an Esprit has GOT to be good husband material.

"LET" You drive around in an Esprit?!!!?!

If you had said let you drive around in HIS Esprit, then that sentence might make some sense.... otherwise... WTF?! :huh:

If I found a girl driving an Esprit I'd probably try to marry her! lol

good luck with that.  let us know how it pans out.  wife material for me is any girl who doesn't leave within the month.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

no teigan,

don't set your standards so low...wife material in california should at least come with a 90 day warranty ...

brian

"LET" You drive around in an Esprit?!!!?!

If you had said let you drive around in HIS Esprit, then that sentence might make some sense.... otherwise... WTF?! :lol:

If I found a girl driving an Esprit I'd probably try to marry her! lol

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

being the other side of 40 yo and climbing in and out of the esprit. my wife would be a chiropractor first and the PERFECT wife would be a chiropractor driving an esprit alas my current chiropractor is attractive enough and she does drive an audi tt, she just hasn't evolved enough yet to the lotus level...

brian