free hit
counters
What mpg do you get? - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
mancunian

What mpg do you get?

Well I am only getting about 14mpg around town from my 2002 V8 which is terrible compared to my last Esprit a 2001 V8 GT wich usually gave 19 mpg.

What does everybody else get from their V8?

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Late teens around town, 25 on motorway

You need to pass it onto a good owner :-)

Low 20s on motorway, 15 around town, 7 on the track.

May: DON'T hit it with a hammer!

Clarkson: Why?

May: Cause it's the tool of a pikey.

Its surprisingly economical if revs are kept under 3K. I had to do a few bigger trips of late over the other side of town and really tried to baby it to see if it is indeed a gas guzzler. I think its around the same or close to my 89 carbed Turbo and that thing was well tuned too!! But like anything foot goes down hard so does the fuel guage big time I would have to agree with Neal on approx figures.

Last thing I want to do is count my pennies saving fuel in a V8, whats the point having one :lol:

350.gifNo.23

Right on, Kylie! Any self respecting V8 owner would be discussing "Gallons per mile", not miles per gallon! Anything more than an Abrams Tank's MPG and you're just not being "one with the machine". Right, Neal? Mike? Hello? Anybody out there?

(and if you believe this bogus rant, then I have a bridge in New York that I can sell you cheap)

Haven't done an "official" milage check yet, but my gut feeling is about 15 or 16 in town---no "road trips" to date. It's probably my imagination, but I swear the fuel guage needle movement becomes perceptibly visible when my foot's to the stop.

Cheers!

John

Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose.

19-23 MPG driving round home, which is a mixture of city and highway driving as I live in the country. Driving on a road trip I was able to average 31.5 MPG at a speed varying between 70 and 100 MPH. All numbers are based on a imperial gallon.

Crikey, your V8's are as good as my S4......but I am notoriously heavy on the right foot..... :lol:

I suppose the difference is around town where I prob manage better economy than on the main roads.

Possibly save your life. Check out this website.
http://everyman-campaign.org/

Distributor for 'Every Male' grooming products. (Discounts for any TLF members hairier than I am!)

About 200 miles to a tank of petrol compared to nearly 300 on previous V8 feels a bit wrong to me although garage says car is ok.

Trust me i dont penny pinch on these cars - I just spent

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators

oooooh - I want one of those!

I get mid twenties on the highway as long as I'm under 3K RPM. If you tip into the boos, all bets are off though. I've seen it dip to single figures. Since I drive like a maniac most times, I generally don't get great mileage but, as Kylie said, these cars are not about economy.

About 200 miles to a tank of petrol compared to nearly 300 on previous V8 feels a bit wrong to me although garage says car is ok.

That's sounds about right.

Maybe your old car wasn't giving it all the beans. There's a downstop on the throttle pedal which if not adjusted properly will prevent you getting 100% open throttle. I once got my car back from a service (at Lotus themselves of all places!) where they had refitted the hose from the LH inlet manifold to the throttle butterflies. Only problem was they'd mounted the screw on the jubilee clip such that it fouled the travel of the throttle linkage so that the I was only getting maximum 30% throttle...

Edited by neal

May: DON'T hit it with a hammer!

Clarkson: Why?

May: Cause it's the tool of a pikey.

I know someone that gets alot less than 200 in an SE...don't we Bibs? :lol:

Possibly save your life. Check out this website.
http://everyman-campaign.org/

Distributor for 'Every Male' grooming products. (Discounts for any TLF members hairier than I am!)

When picked up my 98 Esprit in New Jersey, I drove the 1300miles from NJ to my home in Minnesota and was getting around 23mpg. I was on gas every once and a while but not to bad. I definitely wasn

I try not to think about it.

Fill it up drive it fill it up drive it.

I do have all the ferrari's from optimax if that helps lol.

Cheers

Alan Croft

2000 V8 GT

87 Turbo Esprit HC

2000 Elise Sport 160

I try not to think about it.

Neither do i....! - It's no better than 6mpg, not sure of the about town figure though.... :lol:

Britten Mark said: Kylie - isn't fuel about 78p a liter in NZ though??

Yip for BP 98. Mind you remember is all relative though - to a certain degree. If your earning the pound everything within reason is priced accordingly its certainly something to debate for sure.. Our dollar is weaker than yours by almost x 3 !! Our salaries are on average are less too. Thats why all you well to do gentlmen/ladies sell up the estates you live in and come out here to live. You can come over here buy a mansion put the kids in top schooling and be mortage free. Its not bad, but once your funds dry up, your on kiwi salaries and going back home for holidays takes a little more saving :)

350.gifNo.23

i can always say: one full tank [70L] lasts for more than 600km of German Autobahn ! It all depends on style of driving it. Some short sprints on the A9 south wards and I'm happy for a month [flat out to 280 -sat nav confirmed!]. The rest of it it is driven in family estate car style [up to 4000revs/min and a max of 160km/h] .

As n Mechanic and automotive engineering student all i want to say is as follows: rev it mostly in the max. torque range, and you get power with economy!

If you use my type of E85-fuel, you have to count 2L more on every 100Km trip...

to name the things if I see them, that's what I call integrity..

Fill it up drive it fill it up drive it.

Sounds very familiar!

I have noted that on long distances on the autoroutes that it was surprising good. Other than that I havent bothered counting.

Hi All,

200 compared to 300 is too much, indeed.

When my V8 had a leaking secondary injector (= inner O-ring was partially split/cracked) I also experienced about 30% increase in fuel consumption. Maybe its worth having a look. Its a very easy task, just takes a couple minutes to have that checked out.

Another possibility would be a faulty O2-sensor (= usual suspects ;o)

Check that out with an OBD-2 device. have a look at all 4 sensors. Both pre-cat ones should give a regular swing between around 0.1-0.9 Volts. The post cat sensors also should give this swing, but with way less amplitude.

If one or more only show a flat line (around 4,5 Volts) then its definitely dead.

Cheers

Marcus

Well I am only getting about 14mpg around town from my 2002 V8 which is terrible compared to my last Esprit a 2001 V8 GT wich usually gave 19 mpg.

What does everybody else get from their V8?

Trust me i dont penny pinch on these cars - I just spent

Marcus

At risk simply of prolonging the discussion, I reckon on 15-18 mpg in town, 22 'ish at 100 - 110 mph (on the autobahn . . .) and high 20's at 70 - 80. That's with ac on although it is rare that I switch it off. Cold air in spring summer and autumn, warm but dehumidified in the winter. Reckon on about 10% improvement with it off.

My 350 would average 20. I'd say 10 round the town ( I used to drive the missus to work and back twice a day, only 7 miles each way ).

Right then, said Fred.