free hit
counters
Recommended Revs? - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
jdpinsf

Recommended Revs?

I am the happy new owner of a 1987 Turbo HCI.

I've been getting some mixed messages regarding the where I should be on revs when at a constant speed (on the freeway and similar.)

On the one hand, "don't lag the engine, these engines are built for high revs, keep between 3 and 4 thousand" and on the other hand, "these engines run hot, nothing wrong with mid-2 thousands" that sort of thing.

All advice appreciated.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I don't fully understand the question. :) You can run your car at highway speeds with no trouble. These are special cars in that they are'nt Civics. You have be sure that all the maintenance is up to date, timing belt for sure. If you have trouble with running hot it will be at idle and low speeds. I have no problem running at a constant 70,80,90 mph. You will make boost at highway speeds. Other than that, enjoy. :)

Cheers

Clay

Thanks, and sorry for the poorly-worded question.

At freeway speeds, I'm with you.

I'm more concerned with slower situations, 30-60 MPH -- basically, do I upshift or not is what I'm worrying about.

Example -- let's say I'm town at around 40mph in the 3K rev range and I'm in 3rd gear (I'm making this up on the specific numbers, but you get the idea). Do I go to fourth if it drops the revs to 2500?

For what its worth, I've heard that 3rd gear is the weakest one in the box (someone else may be able to correct me), so avoid trying to pull too much torque in third, prefering to change down to second.

Mikey

I am running carbs so low rpm in not a smooth plsce for me to be, but 2500 is ok. I run at higher rpm than that just because I enjoy the drama of tnoise. I have a loud exhaust, duel with no cat, lots of pops and cracks. As far as running hot, if your cooling system is in good shape you should have no trouble. I can putt around at 20mph with a/c in 100F heat with no problem. If the car gets hot something is not working right.

Cheers

Clay