free hit
counters
Engine side-wall paint - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
tb3033

Engine side-wall paint

Hi,

Im fast approaching paint time in the engine bay and am wondering what to use for the engine side-walls. I have a pot of black chassis paint from frosts, is it ok to use this or is there something better suited?

Any recommendations appreciated.

Thanks

Ambrose

post-3334-1209987598.jpg

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

por15 will be ok ambrose, wont do any harm, when you come to paint the chassis, if your going to go for a silver look to it, then i would get the por15 silver/grey chassis paint then as its uv reactive, top coat it with the por15 sterling silver, if your just after a black finish the use the chassis paint but get something to top coat it to protect it.

you gear linkage arm thats sitting there, in the end has two platic top hats and a rubber bush inside it, take them out and chamge them i promise you its something you will need to do.

for cleaning the chassis bay down i would get a 4 1/2 inch grinder and some brass cup brushes for it, that will take everything off real quick and easy also get some of the nylon grit coated brishes from frosts for your drill as well as there are finer and good for other things.

oh and get a nice big tub of copper grease, helps in the future for other things.

Thanks Chaps,

Given the choice I would prefer a matt finish so it will blend into the underseal on the wheel arches so I'll try out the BBQ stuff.

Si, Im a fully indoctrinated member of the POR15 cult, I've got the stuff you mentioned and have already applied it to a few bits, very pleased with it though it is difficult to avoid brush marks in the top coat. I ended up stippling it with a sponge when wet so I now have a slightly textured finish, would have been nice if the top coat had the same super glossy surface as the grey coat but Im happy enough with it.

Pretty much finished the abrasive phase with the chassis now, though its only today I managed to get a drill near it, most if it came off with a scraper and some emery cloth. Had a go with the nylon wheel in the drill and if you are really gentle you can get back to the original shiny zinc, if I were in a hyper anal mood I'd probably not paint the chassis and try to do this all over...

Thanks for the gearlinkage tip, I'll add it to the huge and every growing spreadsheet

Ambrose

post-3334-1209995104.jpg