free hit
counters
Shortening the gear change throw - Gearchange/Gearbox/Clutch - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
kyliesmith.com

Shortening the gear change throw

Does anyone know or can remember the guy who had a make shift website that showed you with detailed pics of how to change the gear box cables from top to bottom etc. He carved a hole through the boot floor which was a no no if that jogs your memory ;) This was to shorten the throw of the gear stick shifting. I have a friend who would like reference photos of how to do this on his early stevens. We did this to my 89 about 5yrs ago but I didnt take any piccys of my own.

350.gifNo.23

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Don't do it. Those syncros already have a hard time braking and adjusting the speed of the adjoining cogs. A shorter throw speeds up the process making the syncros work even harder and removes much of the feel (mechanical sympatico) through your hand as well. Best to accept how it is and keep all the bearings and rod ends in good order and properly adjusted.

DanR

All you need to do is remove each cable rod end in turn from the translator and remount it upside down, i.e. instead of stud through the top, stud up through the bottom. There will likely be some fouling on the bracket, which will have to be fettled. If the translator bearings and rod ends are not in excellent shape, however, the shifting effort will be unbearable.

Visit Sanj's Lotus Esprit Turbo SE pages

Sanj,

Isn't it the other way around, stud down through top to shorten the throw?

Probably. My memory is not what it used to be :animier::sick:

I actually have two Esprit friends that want the mod done and another who may want to change back to original so. But yeah in theory we know how to change it but piccies are tops when trying to explain.

Agreed the short shifing is much more notchy. 1-2 shift is a slow one and 3-2 also.

350.gifNo.23

Chris,

What is your gearchange like now?

Regards,

Peter.

I also shortend the shifter by an inch

shift effort is higher, but not noticable to me anymore

if you dont try to force it into gear (like speed shifting), you wouldnt notice it either

autocross7 drove it and was amazed at how easy it was to get into reverse

in general MUCH better than when I bought it (also replaced the shifter bushings)

chris

90SE

just because I don't CARE doesn't mean I don't UNDERDSTAND

I did the change on mine sometime back. Like Sanj I cannot recall if it was top to bottom or the otherway around. What can I say, I was a child of the 70's.

One thing that has not been mentioned is that you will have to do some grinding on the support bracket to make clearence for the cable ends as they will be hitting the shift assembly bracket. It took me about an hour to get it just right. You will know where to grind once you make the swap, it will be very obvious.

The change made shifting a bit easier and definitely shorter on the throw. One still has to exercise finese to get through the gears quickly. Heavy handed shifting is NOT a good thing in an Esprit.

Al

One thing that has not been mentioned is that you will have to do some grinding on the support bracket to make clearence for the cable ends as they will be hitting the shift assembly bracket. It took me about an hour to get it just right. You will know where to grind once you make the swap, it will be very obvious.

Well, I did sort of mention it. :welcome:

There will likely be some fouling on the bracket, which will have to be fettled.

Here's a pic, the green arrow indicates where I think I had to fettle the bracket.

100_7433a.jpg

Edited by sanj

FWIW, on the later models with the translator on the right side, the "fettling" is not necessary.

1995 S4s

I'm guessing the mod really isn't necessary on those models. either, since they are already the "short-shift" style.