free hit
counters
NA Cam on a Turbo? - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

A few weeks ago I took my Esprit up to Micheal's MotorSports in Massachusetts, USA. He helped me FINALLY sort out my car (ended up still being a very small timing issue), but he also suggested that I installed a NA intake camshaft in place of my Turbo SE intake cam shaft. He claimed it gives much better low end torque and also more top end power. I was wondering if anyone has done this and if his claims are true. Also, I was wondering if this is the case why did Lotus not do this from the factory?

Cheers,

Graham

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm pretty sure he's not talking about the camshaft...

It's the cam gear. He's talking about the green DOT cam. You can actually put the green dot cam from your oil pump on the intake, and then buy another green dot cam for the exhaust and make the timing as it was meant to be before Lotus brought the cars into the US and thought they had to use the blue and red dot cam gears for emissions. Most cars still pass with the green dot cam gears.

Or you could buy an adjustable cam gear... but then you'd be risking that little timing issue again...

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

My Lotus Photo and Projects Album

It was definitely the cam. I actually installed an adjustable timing gear while the car was at Micheal's MotorSports its a complete custom sprocket that he had a company make for him, very nice product. Also now I can set my timing in seconds! We were going to install a NA cam, but couldn't get it for two weeks and I had to take the car back to PA. Now I am wondering if the NA cam really makes that much of a difference. Mike claimed that it gives a lot more low down torque and more HP at the top end.

All the turbo Esprit (carb and injection) for the US have the 107 cams for both inlet and exhaust.

So,there are not NA or Turbo cams, it's the timing that is different.

The 910 engine are factory equipped with one 104

Huh, interesting. He seemed to know loads about the Esprit and even claims to be the one who worked with GTO racing in Europe and Quaife to design an aftermarket LSD for the cars. Also, he works with Lotus racing teams all over the world (so he claims). If I recall correctly he said the NA cam that he uses on the turbo cars is from Europe and he orders them from a manufacturer in CA who re-grinds the cams for him. I actually rode in a car where he had installed one of these cams and it was pretty darn fast. However, this doesn't seem to be as popular an upgrade as he said. I'm glad I didn't venture down that path yet!

- Graham

I know of Michael, I'm not saying he isn't right or doesn't know what he's taking about.

I'm just saying that I've never heard of anybody doing that upgrade.

The table shows that cam having greater, lift, duration, and overlap. I know nothing about how those effect the power or power delivery.

You can be the guinnea pig Graham :sick: though I think you still have enough problems getting your car running correctly right now, I wouldn't throw another variable in the mix.

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

My Lotus Photo and Projects Album

.......If I recall correctly he said the NA cam that he uses on the turbo cars is from Europe and he orders them from a manufacturer in CA who re-grinds the cams for him...

Again, there are not European Cams or USA cams....it's only a question of timing and pulleys.

So, if you want to regrind a cam, you don't need to buy one from Europe because it's the same you already have..

Cheers

Good to know guys! And yes I definitely have enough problems on my car right now that I don't need to be switching cams, but I'm always looking around for the next upgrade :welcome: I think the next step for me is to get the car on a dyno and get her tunned up properly for my setup....once I figure out why she is knocking like crazy.

I have a 104 inlet can on mine! Can't tell you what difference it makes though as at the time it was fitted so were bigger valves, head gas flowed, fuel injection, chargecooler , T35 hybrid turbo and an after market ECU etc, etc.. and so on and so forth.... works fine though, my car is pretty quick!

Cheers

Mark

Edited by mwmackenzie

Mark MacKenzie  Elise S2 135 Sport 

Graham,

What was the "very small timing issue" that you got resolved?

Can't help with the cam question but Michael is a good guy and pretty knowledgeable about the Esprit. Maybe Tim will chime in...

1995 S4s