free hit
counters
Restoration of Essex number 18 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
LOTUS

Restoration of Essex number 18

I guess this is the place for the restoration of Essex 018. More Essexiness to follow, with pics in due course...

Joolz

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

The Essex resto is going well, but I have discovered a few nasty problems. The left hand engine mount had collapsed, and the manifold and wastgate were in a shocking state. The wastgate just fell off due to rust!

I have concentrated on pulling the engine out and disassembling it. The manifold studs I just chiselled off with a sharpened old screwdriver, not one of them was in a state to actually get a spanner on due to rust. There was virtually nothing left of them.

Wheres a good place to get my wastegate refurbished, I have 3 of them, and the Essex one is the worst of the bunch? The seat in the Manifold is also cracked.

Joolz

The cracked seat in the wastegate adaptor is fitted as standard. Also note the pictures Bigsy kindly posted for me a couple of days ago on my 'whats inside the wastegate' post also show a crack...

Hi. These posts remind me of my restoration of Essex No12. It seems a long time ago now. The clutch showed signs of smoke and oil bearing failure. I took the engine and gearbox out. Split them to find a worn clutch too with oil sepage from the engine on to the clutch. I thought that as the car was apart, it would be sensible to have the engine rebuilt. Thus I meet Pete Musgrove, PNM engineering in a motor way services north of Birmingham and delivered the 910 engine. Pete did a brilliant rebuild, including Turbo, Waste Gate and Engine pistons and liners. It all went back in ok and the car was an exceptional fast sports car. It handled brilliantly but the brakes were never quite up to the job. The photo also reminds me that the there is not many teeth that the cambelt wraps around on the upper sproket, and they are prone to skip a tooth now and again if the tensioned is not in new condition. The Water pump as well took almost a whole day due to the position hard up against the bulkhead. The Engine mounts were also not good. The rear nearside body bobin had also sheared but didnt seem to effect the handling ! Have fun. Isaac