free hit
counters
Engine Bay Fans - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
tb3033

Engine Bay Fans

Hi

I have seen pictures of federal cars with electric fans in the engine cover.

Am I right in thinking that these were installed to reduce heat soak after the engine has been turned off and if so are they effective in doing so? I am interested in fiiting some if there are some benefits

Thanks

Ambrose

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Hiya,

I have looked at this as well and even mocked up the design using fans i got out of a [email protected] rack cabinet which had computer servers in it.

Power is easy and you run the fans off a thermostat/temp guage mounted in the engine bay.

As a mock-up it worked fine and invloved removing the louvres from the engine cover and then mounting the fans in a bracket which fit inside the original space where the louvres were.

I have not got round to making the final version but if you have more questions feel free to PM me

Adrian

Hi,

Think they are agreat idea for getting rid of the unwanted heat when the car has stopped!

Have never fitted one though when the car was running on its standard engine,

but yes it will help the heat soak indeed,

Have a look at Andrew Hills aka Hilly on the lotus esprit world owners page,

he fitted an auxillary fan in his engine bay to do just the thing your on about!

Hope this helps regards danny, p.s dont just buy a cheap fan though I think

Andy got his from merlin motorsports about 40 to 50 quid of memory

its a lot of money but they are good quality, great air movement and extremely compact!

A

Accidently stumbled on this - the V8 Esprit has a 2nd electric coolant pump that moves coolant around the car which prevents heat soak - might be another way to do it.

facebook = [email protected]

I have to look into this - it was 95 degrees here today, 96% humidity - and I had an hour of stop and crawl traffic.

My temp laser gun read 122 on the car and 127 on the ground. The car didn't over heat - but was hot hot hot - and I could never break free of the grid lock to cool down....

Lou Senko

Austin, TX

more, more, more....

Hi,

Interesting ideas, fitting them where the louvres are in the engine cover is handy and can always be put back to the original spec if it turns out not to help. I can't locate the picture of the federal engine cover but I remember that the fan was towards the rear/middle but Im guessing that putting them in the front is as good. Im keen to know how well the Lotus system worked. Looked at Hilly's additional ducting and fans, a very tidy job, Dazman has also opened up the LH ear for extra ducting but no fans again it would great to know whether these systems produced measurably significant increases in the rate of cooling of the head.

I'd like to get the most volume of air possible flowing past the hot bits and have the system look after itself perhaps with a manual option, this implies big fans running fast like the ones on the back of our rads. I found a chip which usually looks after heated screens that will deal with the timing and switch logic and there are tons of thermal switches to choose from.

When my headgasket went (or at least that is the current theory) I looked round and also found some stuff about secondary pumps mainly from MGF owners who seem to have big problems with their head gasket on k series engines. One chap tried an extra electric water pump in the heater circuit which ran after shutdown, an idea which lotus came up with on some K series elises, however he measured a higher temperature after shutdown with the pump on, Im not sure how to interpret that result. Ideally you'd want to pump it round the main circuit but there are no EWPs that are powerful enough to match a good mechanical pump and having an EWP in series with the mechanical pump will compromise performance. I suppose a parallel arrangement could be configured but its all beginning to get a bit intrusive especially in an area which is so important, though I would like to see a how Lotus did it on the V8

Thanks

Ambrose

Edited by _ambrose_

Some of the Porsches have a simple electric pump circulating turbo coolant for up to a minute after shutdown. Porsche claimed improved longevity etc with their system.

DanR

My Federal Esprit has the fan but has never activated. I tested it and it does work. There is a thermal switch mounted in the cover and once the ambient heat is high enough it will turn itself on. Tested it with a heat gun and no problem. For those wanting to do a add-on you might consider connecting it to a TURBO TIMER or wire it into the Otter switch.

Cheers,

jeff

www.espritturbo.com

Gordon Murray designed the Brabham with this. That would suck the hot air out of our cars too.

Lauda_78_sweden_01_bc1.jpg

Edited by DanR

DanR

Hilly had a couple of fans on the engine compartment sides one sucking one blowing before she turned into the mutant. they were 4" computer fans.