free hit
counters
Upgraded radiator? - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Had the opportunity to talk, by phone, with the PO (car was not purchased directly from him). Somewhere in the discussion he stated that the car had been fitted with a "three pass" radiator (or at least that's what I think he called it). It was done "for better cooling" by the original owner before him. Because we were discussing multiple topics at a rapid rate, I wasn't able to get an elaboration on the radiator itself. Anyone know more about this "upgrade"?

Thanks,

John

Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As Peter mentioned it's a fairly common upgrade - there's a lot of paranoia about overheating and "cooking" the earlier V8 engines (leading to the dreaded liner failure), and owners have been replacing the original radiators with either a 3 core (vs standard 2 core) or full aluminum radiator.

Paddle Faster, I hear Banjos!

Hehe, I did that same thing one mine - I used Esprit Engineering, basically said it wasn't worth NOT putting the 3rd core in even thought the car should function fine with the standard rad.

One thing I learned from the whole op was that keeping the rad clean was the key as too much dirt and shinola builds up in the fins which compramises the cooling.

The 3 fan mount / cowl covers this up too much so I had the fans replaced as well with something so easy to remove and gains full access to the fins.

Before anyone crys on about weight, it's about 3 kg heavier than std with the extra fluid (I think it's 0.5 litre more) - cant remember exactly but the weight gain was absolutly insignificant.

If you replace the fans as well it actually comes out neutral as the cowling goes bye bye and the heavy fans are replaced with much lighter, better flow ones.

facebook = [email protected]

Thanks for the replies, Peter, Paul, and Johnathan (sounds like a "folk rock" group, eh?). Two more questions: was this "upgrade" something that Lotus came up with, or an "aftermarket" 2nd party modification? Concerning the "dreaded liner problem" (which I keep seeing references to all over the forum), what constitutes an "earlier V8" in terms of model years? The LEW "buyer's guide" makes reference to buying a "post '98" car with a "sorted" engine as a strategy ("water under the bridge" for current owners of course) for avoiding "problems with SOME earlier V8 engines". What "crystal ball" would Lotus have used to predict ("sort") which engines would/could develop problems? The LEW comment did not directly say it was referring to the liners, and may have just been "generically" referring to overall problems in general.

Regards,

John

It's a common mod to install a 3rd core in the radiator (nothing Lotus came up with), and personally I went the other direction and installed an aluminum radiator (which I'm very happy with as it gets hot in California at times). As far as the liners go, you can search here and find pages of data on this subject - but in a nut shell any engine prior to mid 2000 has the "potential" for this issue. That said, I have a 97 on the original liners without issue, and I know about 5 other pre-2000 cars that have also have no issues. What seems to set the liners issue off is badly overheating the engine, hence why you see the 3 core and aluminum radiators in a lot of Esprits (especially the early ones). It' s also wise to clean the radiator once a year by blowing air through it from behind, you'd be amazed how much "stuff" gets stuck up there!

Here's a link on LEW http://www.lotusespritworld.com/EGuides/ET...r_Problems.html

Paddle Faster, I hear Banjos!

Thanks, Paul and Kylie. The LEW "link" made for some interesting reading---one more thing to lie awake at night thinking about---aaarrrghhh! (no worries, I can deal with it) For what it's worth my header tank has not budged from its cold "stablised" level (above half, below full) since acquisition. Hopefully this is a good sign.

Kylie, where are the pics of the "hubby's" Ford hot rod? Did I miss something?

Cheers!

John

Hi there,

I also had this upgraded 3 core rad fitted at pnm when I replaced mine. My view is that if improves the cooling then it has to be good for the engine/liners whatever.

Cheers

Alan Croft

2000 V8 GT

87 Turbo Esprit HC

2000 Elise Sport 160

Thanks, Paul and Kylie. The LEW "link" made for some interesting reading---one more thing to lie awake at night thinking about---aaarrrghhh! (no worries, I can deal with it) For what it's worth my header tank has not budged from its cold "stablised" level (above half, below full) since acquisition. Hopefully this is a good sign.

Kylie, where are the pics of the "hubby's" Ford hot rod? Did I miss something?

Cheers!

John

Here you go John. 32 Ford roadster. Just needs wiring hooked up paint on body and interior finishing.

DSC00144.jpg Boxed chassis painted black sides to match the colour of car when finished. The centre tubing is painted a very dark metallic purple. Its stunning.

DSC00196.jpg

Rear end before chassis painted notice jag parts in there. This part is all one off and custom made.

dash.jpg

Digital dash and flappy paddles behind the steering wheel. Computer is Link.

MOTOR.jpg

Lexus V8 with throttle bodies, whole engine polished. It runs and its very loud!!!

DSC02745.jpg mock up of parts.

Lots and lots of work and $$$$$

350.gifNo.23

Veddy veddy noyce, Kylie. I can see the front brake discs on the chassis pic, but the rears on the differential shot appear to be inboard rotors. Yes, no? Are the half shafts chromed or polished? They look sooooo shiney! That motor looks positively "evil" (in a good way)! Can't wait to see the 0 to 60 time on completion. Thanks for the update.

Cheers,

John :D