free hit
counters
Fans not working - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
red vtec

Fans not working

would this be due to the Otter switch? I have had a quick look at the fuses and they look ok. Is there away to test the otter switch? It's a 1988 Carb Turbo. I have had a read through a lot of posts but most seem to be for SE or newer with freescan etc..

Thanks for the help

Amateurs built the Ark

Professionals built the Titanic

"I haven't ridden in cars pulled by cows before" "Bullocks, Mr.Belcher" "No, I haven't, honestly"

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

A quick way to tell if the fans are working is to switch on the aircon. Assuming the aircon system is pressurised the fans should come on. However, if you don't have aircon then this won't help you.

Regards,

Peter.

A quick way to tell if the fans are working is to switch on the aircon. Assuming the aircon system is pressurised the fans should come on. However, if you don't have aircon then this won't help you.

Regards,

Peter.

No A/C at the mo as it needs "gassing" (I fear its more)

Amateurs built the Ark

"I haven't ridden in cars pulled by cows before" "Bullocks, Mr.Belcher" "No, I haven't, honestly"

if your Esprit is Cab turbo then there are 3 thermostat switches on outlet pipe, the top of the swtch (green)

is the rad switch ! So, if you can removed the cables from the swich and connect the them will start the fan

if not check the fuse !

I hope it will help !

Y.Hotta

Meter your fuses. Mine LOOKED OK last week whn my fans failed, but one had fractured imperceptibly.

Proud recipient of the LEF 'Car of the Month Award' February 2008

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: "Wow, what a ride!!"

just had a look with the wheels off and I cannot see an otter switch I gather it should be on the drivers side? but I just have a blank pipe. could it be that someone has fitted the left handside pipe just to complete the circuit? it's a 1988 turbo stevens carb model. Am I looking in the right place?

Amateurs built the Ark

AFAIK stevens cars don't have otter switches. You should have a fan switch on the coolant pipe near the thermostat, could be wrong though.

:blush: yep think thats correct. My plan of attack will be a 12v feed to each fan to make sure they switch on. replace thermostat as it goes up and down like a yo yo. then I'll try and test the switches in the engine bay.

Amateurs built the Ark

Instead of putting a 12v feed to each fan it is far easier to bridge the fan relay and see if they work. Make sure you bridge the right pins though.

Her is the picture where you and find fan swich !

post-386-1210702321.jpg

Thanks

Right the fans work if I swap the relay for the horn relay the fans run permantly, but if I put the old relay back i get nothing. But if I put that relay in the horn socket the horn works!! So the relay does something.

With the horn relay in the fan socket they run permantly, they also keep running if I pull the leads on the temp sensor in the engine bay,. should they stop when i pull these leads?

this was with a hot engine.

Thanks for the help.

Edited by red vtec

Amateurs built the Ark

They will run permanantly with the horn relay in because the horn relay has the pins a different way round. What you have done is prove te fans work and everything between the relay and the fans is ok. Now disconect the fan switch and bridge the terminals on the plug, if the fans come on you need to replace the fan switch.

Thanks for your help. I didn't realise they were different as I had read that you could swap them (I'm sh1te with car electrics) I gather you mean to bridge the fan switch with the orginal relay in place? I'll have a look in the morning.

Amateurs built the Ark

right just bridged the switch and the fans work so it's either the switch or it may be one of the terminals as one seemed loose.

Do you know the switch part no? is it a lotus part or universal?

Thanks

Amateurs built the Ark

I tried to get a coolant temp sensor for mine (later SE with delco injection) and looking through loads of parts books i could only find the temp gauge sender listed so i guess its a lotus only part. Try SJ they may be able to help.

Is the temp sensor a Lotus part or can I get it from another vehicle for a fraction of the cost?

Thanks as always

Amateurs built the Ark

Now working :( turned out to just be a loose lead on the temp sensor. Which is great as it cost nothing to fix. Thanks for your help.

Amateurs built the Ark