free hit
counters
Hot Esprit turbo - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
stevehowarth

Hot Esprit turbo

Hi - anyone got tips for an otherwise fine 89 turbo (it's the red one in the end of the esprit video which was shown to death on Men and Motors) which does not like sitting in traffic. It's not boiled yet but the temp goes up alarmingly before fans kick in (it gets well into the red). It's just had a major main dealer service too!

I was wondering if it is possible to fit a manual override fan switch to hit the fans as soon as I get in a jam??? Or is it worth swapping thermostat and do they do a cooler running one??

Anyone solved a similar problem??

Steve

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

The first thing to do is stop driving it until the fault is found and fixed. I'm an AA patrol and most of the cooling jobs i go to are alot worse because the owner thought the problem could wait. Do the fans kick in? Have you tries turning your aircon on to get the fans to work?

If they flushed the coolant as part of the major service there may be air in the radiator. There is a bleed screw on the upper left of the rad, try cracking it open while the engine is running until all evidence of air is gone. Refill the header tank as necessary over the next few days.

Visit Sanj's Lotus Esprit Turbo SE pages

If all the above fail to cure it, get a sniff test done to see if you have exhaust fumes in your coolant (to check for head gasket problems). This shouldn't cost much. If this turns out okay, next try fitting new or recored radiator. It could be silted up, not efficient enough in this heatwave.

The good thing about a recored rad is that it will fit without any messing about ( as it's already been on the car).

The recored rad fixed my overheating problem a couple of years ago.

Alan

Edited by Alan Paterson

I agree with Sanj, make sure there is not an air bubble in the system.

Make sure you have the overflow coolant reservoir filled half full at all times. That is the plastic tank in the rear of the boot. If this is low then the engine will not be able to draw in more coolant, and it will suck air back into the system.

Also many people, even with low mileage Esprits, have had a significant amount of debris blocking the cooling fins of the radiator. All the stuff gets trapped between the charge-cooler/AC condenser and the Engine coolant radiator. The only proper way to clean it out is to remove the radiators and do it manually.

Do not change to a different thermostat! The Esprit engine management system needs to reach certain running temperatures to function properly.

Edited by Vulcan Grey

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

My Lotus Photo and Projects Album

It could be that the fans are coming on when they should (ie at the correct temp) it may be your temp gauge is throwing you a curved ball,i say this as my temp gauge was starting to wander but fans kicked in and out as advertised i changed temp sender and gauge works properly IIRC the ecu gets its temp input from some where else (forget where exactly),and the thermal switch on the rads kick in the fans ,the gauge is to make you feel better and to keep an eye on things.

Cheers

Nick S4s

Simplest things first.

Another thanks to all who responded as I have now put in a new thermostat and while not a complete cure it's a lot better . . . in fact it actually runs HOTTER at speed on motorway (needle bang in the middle) but cooler than it did in traffic, so fingers crossed!

Steve