free hit
counters
Engine wont crank - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
1990 esprit

Engine wont crank

My '90 Esprit usually drains the battery if I don't run it every two weeks or so, and I had the unfortunate circumstances of not being able to drive if for as long recently. I went to start it and the dashboard lit up as normal, but had nothing at the starter, not even a solenoid clicking. I tried jumping it...no change. I tried changing the battery....still no change. Any likely suspects that anyone could suggest or should I just start tearing into the starter?

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Check if you're getting power to the smaller lead on the starter solenoid when you turn the key. Or it's fallen off.

Edited by DanR

DanR

If none of those give you any joy, give the starter a good old fashioned thwack with your favourite biffing stick.

Check the battery with a multimeter, with nothing turned on, then turn the headlights on main beam and check again, anything more than slight drop, battery. sounds like it's on it's last legs anyway. Check from positive direct to chasis, then between negative and small positive on starter, with some try to crank it on the button, ignition key. Check continuity of big lead from batery to starter. If all those show no fault, the solonoid is F'ed.

Roger

Life is like a sewer, what you get out of it, depends on what you put into it. (Tom Leahrer)

try to start the car with lights on. If the lights go to very dim when trying to crank then it is a battery issue.

If still no good, disconnect the small wire from the solenoid and put a test lamp in it, ( and ground the lamp). then try and start it. If the lamp comes on then you are getting power to the solenoid, if not, it could be your ignition switch.

I would be more inclined to get out the biffing stick though and just give it a few taps around the starter. when sitting for a while, they sometimes get a little bit of surface rust inside and just need a tap to free it up. if this is the case then would be best to take the starter out and dismantle for a good clean out internally rather than keep bashing it...

Justin

"Laugh" and the world laughs with you - "Cry" and you just wet your face...

Thanks for the advice. I tried tapping, then pounding the starter. Although it felt great to beat on it, it didn't get 'er humming.

I checked the voltage without the lights, then with the lights on and saw only a 0.1v change.

I tried starting it with the lights on and they continued to stay bright.

I measured 12v from the positive electrode on the solenoid to ground on the chassis.

I disconnected the small positive wire from the solenoid and measured 0v to ground with the key off, then 12v with the key in the start position.

From this I'm concluding that I will spend a few hours this coming weekend replacing the starter (anyone have an extra to sell?), unless anyone has a few more ideas.

had similar problem, battery after 4 days dead, but all was that something draining battery after standard run and charging during ride, found 2 problems:

- short circuit on window switch

- some central locking / immobiliser short circuit (this i ascribe mby not directly t oalarm unit, but some crazy wiring of prew car owner)

after repair no problem

Edited by SKY

http://www.lotus-club.cz

lccz_banner.gif

Your 6 is my 12.

http://www.voodoo-world.cz

--------------------------------

Yep looks like it's the solenoid. Probably a simple fix once you've got it apart.

DanR

Check that chassis to engine earth first.. That stopped mine working.

Are you getting a click from the solenoid or not?

I would meter the solenoid wire out while trying to start it. If you get it raising to 12v but no clicking sound, it's the solenoid.

If it goes to 12volts and clicks but won't turn over, could be the earths or main feeds need a clean.

If it doesn't go to 12volts, then you could have a fuse/immobiliser issue.

Have you tried crossing the solenoid terminals?

run a screw driver between the ignition wire and the positive terminal on the starter and see if it turns.

Justin

No click from the solenoid, just an eerie silence. I am going to try whacking the solenoid like I whacked the starter last night, partly to see if it gets it working and partly just for fun. If no luck, I'll try Justin's suggestion of jumping the solenoid. I was gong to try this last night, but couldn't figure out what to jump the positive terminal of the solenoid to. Do I connect it just to the body of the starter or is there a negative electrode to connect to?

Be careful shorting those terminals, it's hard to get too, it WILL spark, it has close proximity to fuel, I wouldn't do it without a fire ectinguisher handy, call me paranoid, but call me safe!

Roger

Life is like a sewer, what you get out of it, depends on what you put into it. (Tom Leahrer)

If you run a wire from the ignition wire terminal on the solenoid, to the positive side of battery then there will be no spark. connect the starter first and then the positive battery. It will spark but at least it will be at the battery and not on the way to the terminal...

Well, thanks for the advice from everyone. I just had the starter rebuild, dropped it in, and it started right up. One more Esprit back on the road!

-Dave

Dave, congrats mate!

Good whenthings work out nice and easy.

I cannot wait to get my girl back on the road. I have just setnt eh cluthc pressure plate off to a mate of mine to machine. when the last clutch exploded, teh brass rivets that hold it all together burnt heat marks into it so it needs a skim.

cannot wait to have the feeling you have of getting her bak on the road.

Justin