free hit
counters
CLUNK 1990 se - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Hi, I have a clunking noise coming from the engine bay, sometimes when I pull away or go over a bump, we have had the car up on a ramp and can't see anything obvious but I read somewhere on this site that the bracket holding the plywood bulkhead can cause a noise like this, does anyone know if a 1990 SE would suffer from this as the car in the article was a much newer model. Thanks in advance for any help.

Brian

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

If it only happens now and again and usualy over bumps I would check the bulkhead bolts and the fuel tank bollts. Also inspect your engine and gearbox mounts as there may be access movement there causing something to knock in extreme conditions.

Sounds like engine mounts to me... Could be suspension related or possibly gear box or driveshaft issue, check engin mounts first, near side has a reputation for going due to heat from the exhaust manifold and turbo being on that side....

Good luck

mark

Mark MacKenzie  Elise S2 135 Sport 

Various possible causes mentioned above, but the symptoms you describe do sound exactly like the loose bulkhead symptoms - I had this on my S3, started as an occasional thing and eventually became quite frequent, tightening the bolts solved it on that car but I believe in the stevens the bolts sit in tubes, so you have to get the tubes out and shorten them slightly.

GF

............. that's fightingtorque!!!

www.fightingtorque.com

I'm with Mark on this one, engine mounts, get some to sit in it while you watch the engine have them leave the hand break on and try to lightly! pull away, if it's mounts you will see the engine try to rotate, and lift on one side, probably hear the same noise too.

Roger

Life is like a sewer, what you get out of it, depends on what you put into it. (Tom Leahrer)

Also, check the bolts that attach the rear of the bodyshell to the chassis. They're hidden below the boot floor and there IS a fix detailed on either LEW or LEF somewhere. I've had the job done on my 90SE, AND new engine mounts AND the bulkhead bolts fettled....but the clunk is there again over a particular type of bump.

Try lifting the body (if you're a weightlifter!) by hand at the rear wheelarches to see if there's any obvious movement.

Creaks, squeaks, rattles and clunks are the bane of my life - latest is that I've stripped the screw inside the glass sunroof tongue block. Anyone know - are they a stock item or do I need to get it tapped to a bigger size?

Proud recipient of the LEF 'Car of the Month Award' February 2008

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: "Wow, what a ride!!"