free hit
counters
A little quiz for you.... - Misc including parts cross references - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

I was doing some research into the history of my car and found some irregularities.

The year and the model are quite possibly not what it is registered as.

For now though, I put it to the experts to try and identify which model it is. (An attempt to spark some interesting discussion)

Post your guesses and reasons why it is or isn't a certain model, then I will add some more clues.

DSC00057-changed.jpg

DSC00055.jpg

DSC00056.jpg

At first glance it seems reasonably easy to identify it (except for the wheels of course).

Now for the first piece of the puzzle....

1. Notice the smooth bodywork where the join from the ducktail should be, as you would expect in an Essex, S3, Turbo, or Turbo HC.

2. The rubber strip stops where the join should be.

3. If anyone else has this, or knows of why it is like this, please share your info.

Pic.jpg

More clues to come.

Edited by Denzeldude

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Let's see . . .

- It has mirrors from an early S2 (chrome stalks); later S2s had black stalks

- The front indicators are S1/S2 (and very early Turbo)

- The black plastic triangle at the base of the A-pillar is an S1/S2/S2.2 giveaway; that it has a cover for a screw suggests late S1 or S2.

- Your closeup at the rear suggests the tail of the car was added later, or experimentally by the factory

- The thin chrome strip on the interior door handle is an S1/S2 trait

- The esprit decal on the outside is pure S1 (or S2 without the "s2"), but that was obviously added later when the car was painted.

- I'm not seeing a defogger vent on the top of the binnacle, which could only be an S1 (but binnacles can be swapped)

I would like to see close ups of:

- a rear quarterlight (rear quarter window). It looks like it is aluminum like the door window channels, which would make it S1 or early S2.

- the gauges

- the seats

- the interior light on the bulkhead

- inside the front compartment, showing the bonnet hinges and surrounding area

- a general shot inside the rear compartment.

- front defogger vents - on or by the binaccle

Looking at the majority of equipment, I would say that it is an S2 built in 1978 or early 79, but there is the possibility it is an S1 under all that disguise; I know on the federal cars only the S1s up through mid-1977 had the drivers side vent on the dashboard and not the binnacle; if that is true for RHD cars and yours doesn't have the vent on the binnacle, then that's another clue for it being an S1.

I have seen photos from Lotus in a couple of books of an Esprit that looked like a blend of S2 and Turbo, just like yours. But I think it had a Turbo style interior without the chrome strips.

But for now I'm guessing most likely early S2, but possibly late S1.

Am I officially an anorak yet?!? ^_^

:D:blush:

Tony K. :)

Esprit S1s #355H & 454H

Esprit S2.2  #324J

1991 Esprit SE

Interesting. The chrome mirrors date it as an early S2, but as Tony says there are pics of an S2 (running speedlines) mocked up by the factory as an S3 turbo as part of the design work for the S3. If it was one of these (or even that car) though I'd expect the later non chrome mirrors.

I've seen posts suggesting that the early S3 turbos were offered with Speedlines as a factory option. I've never seen one ever though. Maybe this is an early (very early!) S3 turbo with that option?

Have you actually contacted the factory about it?

Regards

Mat

post-1-0302470001278592957.jpg

Looks like a pre development Turbo to me. Primarily S2.2 with Turbo spec developements.

Caught between a rock and a hard place in a catch 22 situation, So its 6 of one and half a dozen of the other. Your damned if you do, but your damned if you don't so shut your cock!!!!!!!!!!!

Lotus Espirt Turbo S3    

Lotus Esprit S4 

Lotus Elise S2 Sport 130

pig_zps6d7342f1.jpg

I'm going S2 as well.

One thing that's been missed are the ears. I'm fairly sure I'm right in saying that the ears post S2 aren't tapered at the back, they're open and S1's didn't have them.

No lock on the filler caps too...

Pete

Pete '79 S2

LEW Miss September 2009

That my friends is a Guigaro Esprit.

lollerz!!! :blush:

I'm going S2 as well.

One thing that's been missed are the ears. I'm fairly sure I'm right in saying that the ears post S2 aren't tapered at the back, they're open and S1's didn't have them.

No lock on the filler caps too...

Pete

Good call on the ears and filler cap!

Tony K. :)

Esprit S1s #355H & 454H

Esprit S2.2  #324J

1991 Esprit SE

If you look at the first Essex turbo it had no ears and the fillers caps where the same like the S2.

But probably it's an S2 with all the goodies from a turbo except the mirrors and the wheels. Would it be that easy?

Jean

I think that's a very early Turbo. I'm sure when it was first released it was offered with the speedlines as standard but very few people didn't upgrade. Also I've seen a picture of an early Turbo with speedlines which looked just like this.

To be fair very few of the early model transitions were black and white. There was always new bits filtering through on the last cars made of the previous series. S1's with S2 front spoilers and twin headlamp motors etc.

Mark

Edited by winners

Look what Q's brought us. Isn't it nice!

I would be inclined to say a S2 with a turbo kit on it.

On the early turbos and Essex cars, there is only 1 support in the center of the louvres, this was changed to 2 supports in about >'82?

Edited by Dodgy

Лотос - для тех которые знают разницу

ENIGMA for those who are paranoid or download one :)

post-1884-1210744972.jpg

My cunning plan worked. I've learnt a lot about the car so far.

To add a couple more clues:

1. PO said it's not the original louvre.

2. It's not the original colour of the car.

3. It's not the original interior.

4. PO also mentioned it has been resprayed at least once in it's lifetime, that he chose to only have "Esprit" as the side decal, and decided not to put the other plain "Esprit" decal he purchased on the nose near the badge.

When I get home from work I will add a photo provided by the PO, taken during a respray to see if you notice something.

I haven't contacted the factory about the specifics, but have noted the model by the VIN and matching engine number on the SportsCarWorld website. Can't say much more about that without giving it away, except that it doesn't correspond to what I believe is the correct model.

Edited by Denzeldude

Very interesting thread! I dont know what it is but it looks very clean and a nice car. Will all those possiblilties you sure it couldnt be like the car in the peugeot advert where the Indian boy lusts after their new car and gets his elephant to sit on his old car then uses a hammer to bash it into shape of a 106??? Theres not a ford fiesta engine lurking in there is there? lol :D

"Belief is the enemy of knowing" - Crrow777

gets his elephant to sit on his old car

2008-05-14_174611.jpg

:D

Here's that photo I mentioned earlier. Sorry, but the original photo is very grainy.

There's something there that might suggest later than an S2.

DSC01525.jpg

Stay tuned for the next clue.

hahaha

So what engine you got in her? Or is that too much info at this stage? N/A or a turbo or even a HC?

"Belief is the enemy of knowing" - Crrow777

It looks like one of the development prototypes for the Turbo as they all had the older wheels, semi similar bodykit to the turbo but many cross over parts of the S2.

Thats my guess anyway. Gooner would find out as he's a cheat at this sort of thing having access to the factory system :D

Possibly save your life. Check out this website.
http://everyman-campaign.org/

Distributor for 'Every Male' grooming products. (Discounts for any TLF members hairier than I am!)