free hit
counters
calling you lovely cali ppl - Topics - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

calling you lovely cali ppl

quick question

if you wanted to import a esprit to cali do you have to fit crazy things to make it meet the regs?

(basically a prius engine LMAO)

oh and another question, if you have to fit a cat, what if you fit a cat bypass like the flap in the zorst

of a aston

thanx

OUR CURRENT COLLECITON :- MODIFIED LOTUS ESPRIT, FULL VEILSIDE SUPRA (BEAST 409.3bhp), NEW ADDITON TO THE TROOP, 1996 S CLASS MERC (FULLY PIMPED OUT, DUB EDITION)

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

from the uk?

i "hear" that young arnie has some crazy laws on emmision etc etc, and doesnt take kindly to bypass valves on cats and noise?

i cant belive that all the esprits in the state are running totally standard?

OUR CURRENT COLLECITON :- MODIFIED LOTUS ESPRIT, FULL VEILSIDE SUPRA (BEAST 409.3bhp), NEW ADDITON TO THE TROOP, 1996 S CLASS MERC (FULLY PIMPED OUT, DUB EDITION)

It's my understanding if it's a temporary import (such as coming to California for a motoring holiday) then you don't need to meet all the emissions requirements etc. If you're trying to permanently import a car here from Europe then yes it has to meet all the US DOT standards and emissions which is next to impossible to do (unless you've got money to burn).

There was a green sport 300 someone brought in a while back under a temporary import, the owner then tried to sell the car and got himself into all sorts of grief with the customs people. Last I heard car was sold in Arizona for next to nothing ...

From http://www.cbp.gov/linkhandler/cgov/newsro...portingacar.doc

"NONRESIDENTS may import a vehicle duty-free for personal use up to (1) one year if the vehicle is imported in conjunction with the owner’s arrival. Vehicles imported under this provision that do not conform to U.S. safety and emission standards must be exported within one year and may not be sold in the U.S. There is no exemption or extension of the export requirements".

Edited by fmxa
Paddle Faster, I hear Banjos!

wow what a total nightmare, im thinking you dont want europeon cars in the u.s. then lol

when i hopefully vist cali next year i may have to hire a stang and rip the zorst off bahahaha

oh and just a quicky (sorry), where is not a bad place to stay in and around all the touristy areas

in hollywood thats not too much of a dive and i can park? did look at a holiday inn at universal but

the reviews werent to hot. around the $180 a night figure i would say?

and i need to go to this car and coffee meet, looks amazing

Edited by karluk29

If you're just bring your car for a holiday then there's no issue, and FWIW I'd steer clear of staying in Hollywood as it's a total shit hole. Stay on the West side, Santa Monica, Century City, Beverly Hills, Marina del Rey etc and just drive up to Hollywood. Check out priceline.com and hotwire.com for good hotel deals.

thanx matey, did look at the hilton at universal city, that seemed out of the main bit but still close enough?

Universal City is okay, but expect lots of kids (due to the Studio theme park). That said, it's a quick drive to Hollywood and surrounding areas.