free hit
counters
Bouncing Tachometer needle - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Paul93Lotus

Bouncing Tachometer needle

On my S4s (that has the Caerbont gauge set), my tachometer needle will bounce a little between shifts(one or two bounces before resuming normal operation).....anyone know or have any experience with this type of problem? Is it an internal problem with the gauge...or should I be looking at the wiring/grounds? My speedometer had been replaced at some point in the past, so who knows what the prior owner / service tech molested behind the binnacle cover.

I remember having this same issue with an old Opel GT I had 20 years ago....which had VDO gauges as stock.

Thanks for any input.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I'm sure there are magnets behind the gauge to temper sudden movements and they can become dislodged resulting in a hyperactive needle. Getting the gauge refurbed isn't expensive.

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

The bouncing only occurs when shifting as the needle will bounce momentarily before proceeding upward again....driving sedately usually it is less pronounced...but on the full throttle it bounces severely for a second....