free hit
counters
An "elevating experience" - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Iconic Ride

An "elevating experience"

The late Colin C. and I share(ed) at least two common traits: a love for Lotuses and "semi-short" stature. Shortly after purchasing the vehicle my explorations discovered a 1ft X 1ft square 1" thick vinyl covered hard foam "pillow" loosely placed under the driver's seat. How thoughtful, I mused. Lotus included a "floatation cushion" for those occassions when owners felt the need to express their "inner James Bond" by exercising the car's well documented "submarine" characteristics. One never knew when a hasty underwater exit from the vehicle might require a "buoyancy option", especially as very few of us routinely wear a life vest whilst driving. Being the "packrat" that I am, I placed the item under the passenger seat for safekeeping.

My Bond fantasies were sadly dashed when, one day, having a bit too much time on my hands, I elected to peruse all 541 pages of the Lotus parts PDF. I chanced upon a graphic depicting two of the above mentioned aquatic safety devices, labeled a much more mundane "bolsters". Fancying myself as being a "quick study" (in my own delusional mind at least), I once again looked under the (passenger) seat and noticed the SECOND bolster securely wedged in its designated slot further towards the back. With some effort I succeeded in placing the FIRST bolster in its correct slot under the driver's chair, and "Voila!", a near miracle occurred. I could now see the fuel and temp guages without "craning". Forward visibility improved significantly, and I no longer felt like a "low rider" cruising in the San Fernando Valley.

I relate this story on the off chance that there might be other "height challenged" drivers out there who might be looking for an "uplifting" solution.

Cheers!

John

Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I am height challenged, in the same way MJK is.

I had to remove all semblance of padding in order to have my head vertical without opening the sunroof. Now that wasn't popular with somebody who tried to move my car, when touching the pedals all he could see was sky.

Andy

I am height challenged, in the same way MJK is.

I had to remove all semblance of padding in order to have my head vertical without opening the sunroof. Now that wasn't popular with somebody who tried to move my car, when touching the pedals all he could see was sky.

Andy

Hi, Andy. That would probably explain why the PO had moved said cushion from its previous location. My guess is that he (and you) would stand a much better chance in a Los Angeles Lakers tryout than I would!

Cheers!

John

and some of us have also removed the seatrunner-spacers and re weld the whole steering column. :blush:

to name the things if I see them, that's what I call integrity..

How tall are you John? :blush: Im 1.69m and fit really good. I think Colin was around 1.70 or there abouts. I know of two male Esprit owners here in NZ that are 1.60, seat way forward and they really only just reach the pedels.

350.gifNo.23

How tall are you John? :D Im 1.69m and fit really good. I think Colin was around 1.70 or there abouts. I know of two male Esprit owners here in NZ that are 1.60, seat way forward and they really only just reach the pedels.

Just had to make the "metric challenged" American drag out his calculator, didn't you, Kylie :blush: . If memory serves (which, as I grow older, seems to be less and less the case) the proper conversion factor is 2.54 cm's to the inch; thus I believe myself to be 172.72 cm's tall. I've probably "embelished" the situation somewhat in the original post, but I do find the extra seating height a "plus" in all regards.

"To (vertical) infinity, and beyond!" ^_^

John

Incidentally, isn't it a bit early in the morning in New Zealand right now? Don't you Kiwi's ever sleep?

Edited by Iconic Ride

".... Don't you Kiwi's ever sleep? ......" i believe no, what would you do with the head upside down the whole day ?! so i say: good night to all my lotus friends! :blush:

to name the things if I see them, that's what I call integrity..

^_^ sorry forget you guys are still on that system... geeezuz. So that makes you 5,7 - 5,8 then which should be perfect inside an Esprit I would have thought.

Yip we dont need to sleep and I walk around on my head all day you should try it....gives you really strong arms :blush:

350.gifNo.23

"Priceless" observation, Gunter. Equally great comeback, Kylie. My sides are still sore. :D

("fess up", Kylie---did you need a calculator or not?)

John