free hit
counters
Steering rack fluid question. - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
lotusross

Steering rack fluid question.

OK, stupid question, I rebuilt the steering rack a year ago - and it is now in the car (Of course it is, right - why would I have done this the easy way when it was out of the car)

ANYWAY - how do I put oil in it, what kind and by where?

Recently it has been VERY difficult to turn the steering wheel (I roll it in and out of the garage - I an not driving it yet)

Edited by lotusross

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I undid one of the clips on the gaiters and squirted the oil into the rack. I had the front of the car jascked up so I could turn the front wheels from left to right to help the oil circulate through the rack.

I think it's SAE 90 oil but I need to check. Will let you know later. It says which in the handbook and manual.

S4 Elan, Elan +2S, Federal-spec, World Championship Edition S2 Esprit #42, S1 Elise, Excel SE

I used SAE90 oil, squirted in through the gaiters as described, using an oil gun from my Grandfather's 1913 Napier...wish we had the car!!

Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." - Albert Einstein