free hit
counters
After market brakes for the V8 Esprit... - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
cweeden

After market brakes for the V8 Esprit...

Hi All,

I know that upgrading the front brakes on the Esprit has been tackled many times and there are various solutions available but none that seem to be exactly what I am looking for.

Do any of the kits which replace the disc mounting bell/hat (US) use the standard AP Racing mouting PCD (215.9mm) with the new mounting bell?

If so do any of them sell just the mounting bells on their own and how much would they cost?

I am currently looking to have some made and thought this might be a quicker and possibly cheaper way forward.

Lastly I am looking at replacing my dics and I am wondering wether to stick with the radial cross drilled pattern or move to grooved discs instead (also fully floating vs. bolted) all comments welcome.

cheers

-Chris

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

SJ do an AP kit, you could try them?

Saying that, I don't think companies will want to sell you just the bell as this is the thing that makes it a kit for the Esprit (plus the bracket). Everything else is off the shelf.

If you told me the offset, I could have a go at getting them made?

What about buying a bell from AP blank and putting your own centre diameter and wheel bolt PCD on?

Did you know PNM's rear bell has a PCD of 216mm? The offset isn't as deep though...

Dave Walters

Try a set of Pagid blue pads and you may be suprised with the results and not feel the need to throw away cash on an upgrade.. These pads are amazing!! have been in an exige running these for 2 hrs continuous on track and the stopped really well lap after lap and with no fade!! I will be fitting these on my next car for sure!

Mark

Mark MacKenzie  Elise S2 135 Sport 

Hi Guys,

Dave, I expect you are right so I will have them made myself. If it turns out OK and cost effective I may offer just the bells or complete kits via GTO Engineering who are interested in my results.

Mark, I run Pagid Blue pads already. :(

Peter, they are great for road use too, no noticeable issues to report good initial bite from cold etc.

Dave

Hi Chris,

I don't fully understand what you are trying to do or replace, is it the discs and bells or calipers too?

Is it simply that your S350 rotors are worn and you need replacements?

Email me [email protected] to discuss further.

I have a 324mm kit up my sleeve but have not done anything with it yet.

I don't have the AP system but I also needed better brakes. No matter what pads I used the rotors were getting too hot and warping after one track day. I went to Coleman Racing products in Michigan and they made larger diameter rotors with aluminum hats while still using my Brembo calipers. The larger rotor stays much cooler. The stock rotors were still 700+ after a cool down lap. Now they are around 400 after the cool down lap. I first used slotted to help with heat disapation. That doesn't really help. Slotted rotors are used to prevent gass expansion from the pads causing a barrier between the pads and the rotor surface. Slots are really not needed now because of better pad material used by companies like Carbotech.

The only item you need to have machined is an aluminum spacer between the caliper and the mounting bracket. Its about 1/2" X 5"X 2". I have the exact measurements available. The rotors are the only thing you'll need to occasionally replace at about $125 a pop. Much cheaper than the AP rotors. Plus you need to buy longer caliper bolts. I have that info too.

The only other issue is now my brake bias is a little off. The front brakes work so good that its very easy to activate the ABS. Almost too easy. BUT if you already have the larger AP rotors this shouldn't affect your bias.

Let me know if you want all the details.

Eric

Don't used crossdrilled! They have a tendency to crack.

Don't used crossdrilled! They have a tendency to crack.

If they are cast with the holes they are much stronger, it's ones that are drilled after as the drilling actually changes the molecular structure around the hole and weaken the steel.

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

It's the flow and cooling of the metal that can be an issue as well, where there is a post in the mould to create the hole you always get 2 coliding fronts of cooling metal and this can cause fractures - you get it in pretty much all complicated castings...I just wonder if it is a bit of a myth though as I know plenty of people running drilled and not having a problem ?

Chris, I think you're looking to do the same thing I was (and will wih the GT3 when I get the time).

There are many places that'll make the bells as long as you give them the correct info, the guy I was in contact with is :

Roddy Kearey

BG Developments

01527 873716

www.bgdevelopments.co.uk

They were put in contact with me via AP racing who were superb and very helpful. Give them a shout, they wanted ~

facebook = [email protected]

Hi Jonathan,

I have dealt with BG Developments in the past and found them to be very helpful but I wasn't going to use them this time but if they were only charging

Blue R42 are pretty good from cold, said to be noisey with normal use but my mate who has them says he's never heard a peep from them... The black R14 are the race pads and not so clever from cold from what i hear, I think the blues are about

Mark MacKenzie  Elise S2 135 Sport 

I don't have the AP system but I also needed better brakes. No matter what pads I used the rotors were getting too hot and warping after one track day. I went to Coleman Racing products in Michigan and they made larger diameter rotors with aluminum hats while still using my Brembo calipers. The larger rotor stays much cooler. The stock rotors were still 700+ after a cool down lap. Now they are around 400 after the cool down lap. I first used slotted to help with heat disapation. That doesn't really help. Slotted rotors are used to prevent gass expansion from the pads causing a barrier between the pads and the rotor surface. Slots are really not needed now because of better pad material used by companies like Carbotech.

Eric, are those temps centigrade or fahrenheit?

Blue R42 are pretty good from cold, said to be noisey with normal use but my mate who has them says he's never heard a peep from them... The black R14 are the race pads and not so clever from cold from what i hear, I think the blues are about
Edited by neal

May: DON'T hit it with a hammer!

Clarkson: Why?

May: Cause it's the tool of a pikey.