free hit
counters
Later style dashboard question - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Hiya. Would someone with the later style instrument cluster please do me a quick measuring job?

I need to know where the cutout for the windscreen vent is located on the dashboard. Ideally, the distance from the raised bit where the speaker sits, to the start of the cutout for the actual vent.

I'm assuming it's symmetrical on both sides of the car.

I am converting from the older dash to the new dash, and need to put the extra windscreen vent in.

I've cut out the slot the same as the one that was already there on the other side, but it looks like the back of the vent is going to run too close to the windscreen wiper mechanism.

I've attached a couple of pictures, showing the cutout I've just made which is symmetrical with the other one. (about 4" from the edge of the speaker flat part of the dash).

Cheers,

Glyn.

post-2378-1210962066.jpg

post-2378-1210962078.jpg

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just to put on record Glyn - you're barking mad!

When you've finished cutting and fettling this time, you really must start driving the car instead of ripping it to pieces every five minutes.

Sheesh man - step away from the car...and if you MUST get your jollies with a toolkit and workshop manual, I'll lend you mine to practice on instead.

Proud recipient of the LEF 'Car of the Month Award' February 2008

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: "Wow, what a ride!!"

Hi Glyn. I meant to do this earlier, but it slipped my mind.... ^_^

Anyhooo, the distance between the vent and the raised area (for the speaker) is a mere 6.6cm and the vent itself is 25.3cm long.

Any help? Hopefully, Dave will be able to confirm my tape measure's accuracy - or at least you'll be able to take an average of the two!

If you need photos etc, let me know.

Thanks for those measurements GKP.. most appreciated.. I've 'moved' the hole now, and it does seem like everything is going to fit!

An evening of fibre glassing and bodyfilling and you'd never know I put it too far in :clap:

Stewie, It's all about keeping your car modern and dynamic. I can't just let it be. It's like having a house and never decorating or cutting the grass!

But rest assured.. when the new interior is in (including new carpets) then I will just be driving it for a while.

At least until I come across a later style bonnet to fit, which means I can then fit the later style windscreen wiper!

And there surely must be a way to make the gearbox semi automatic :)

You've been to my house. You KNOW I never decorate OR cut the grass!

Tiptronic box WOULD be cool though. I drove a 911 with one a couple of weeks ago and liked it very much, even though it was in a Porker.

Proud recipient of the LEF 'Car of the Month Award' February 2008

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: "Wow, what a ride!!"

but i can't recoment the later style wiper system! It is just to heavy , and does not fitt behind the bonnet in full ... . Bad thing on fast runs!

to name the things if I see them, that's what I call integrity..

There is an article on LEW about lotus using a tiptronic box back in late 90's . found it the other day cant find it now :lol:

Amateurs built the Ark

Professionals built the Titanic

"I haven't ridden in cars pulled by cows before" "Bullocks, Mr.Belcher" "No, I haven't, honestly"