free hit
counters
New Esprit - Esprit Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Antiques

New Esprit

Guest Antiques

I was looking at a few exotic cars with the swing up open doors.I wonder how many of you Esprit owners would be in favour,if this was incorporated into the new Esprit design???It has its advantages in parking ,and in making it even more exotic ,and spectacular,and in my opinion aiding sales, as it would make it even more desirable????James/antiques.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Extra engineering/strengthening = extra weight. Not in accordance with current Lotus philosophy of adding lightness. Remember the S1/S2 Esprit losing their rear top links and using the driveshaft in the drive for lightness?

Regards

Mat

post-1-0302470001278592957.jpg

If it adds weight, then it's a none starter.

I remember Mike Kimberley saying that he stalled the project because it was not 'Lotus' enough......maybe it had stupid gull wing doors.

I bet if anyone had mentioned gull wing doors to Colin Chapman, he'd have punched them square on the nose.

That's the great part about having one of the Lotus old boys in charge now, he understands the marque.

It's not just the hinges, it's the support you need to give to that area that adds the weight. With a normal side opening you tend to have more rigidity nearer the chassis, and less as you go away form it. If you want top hung/ gull wing you need that extra strength and rigidity all the way into the roof.

I thought Lambo had even moved away from "Lambo" doors.

Hmmm.....maybe the M250 was also not Lotus enough, then? :devil:

hologram58.jpg

Maybe it was too gimicky and would have cost too much to make it a proper Lotus...... :clap:

TBH I don't think you will see gull wing doors on a Lotus. It just adds in too much weight and as it's been mentioned here, effects the rigidity of the car/balance and lets face it it's just a gimmick to say "Hey look at my expensive motor with doors that open up".

Possibly save your life. Check out this website.
http://everyman-campaign.org/

Distributor for 'Every Male' grooming products. (Discounts for any TLF members hairier than I am!)

Now don't get me wrong, I'm not taking sides...but it's interesting hearing people say it's not "Lotus" enough, or not in line with the "Lotus" marque.

Does this also mean that when Lambo moved away from "Lambo" doors, that the new design was chuffed at because it wasn't "Lambo" enough?

When G went to Stevens did all the owners say "It's no longer a wedge, that's just not 'Lotus' "?

When the Elise came out did people say "It's too small, that's just not 'Lotus' "?

I would suggest that the marque would initially define then need to re-define itself as required to sell cars to the current trends so people will buy them (and I don't mean making it look like a Ford Focus coz they sell well). It would not be a good idea to spend millions designing a car and only selling 500 units to the old boy's club because they prefer the traditional Lotus marque. There will always be people who are not happy with change.

Hmmmm, interesting :clap:

Edited by Denzeldude

Personally speaking I'm not talking shapes (which is extremely subjective) or whether gull wing doors etc are any good (again extremely subjective) but rather the extra weight required (which is factual), and it's that which makes the doors un Lotus like for me.

That's my opinion, however I'm actually completely unbothered by what doors it has as long as the whole car looks good.

You're right about the M250, yes that was a true Lotus, but Lotus design philosophy was different then. Currently MJK is running round stating clearly and unequivocally that Lotus are not after Porsche and moving forward by a return to the original core values including adding lightness. It's this that makes me say these doors are not in accordance with current Lotus policy.

Regards

Mat

post-1-0302470001278592957.jpg