free hit
counters
gearbox broken - Gearchange/Gearbox/Clutch - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can you select any gears when it's not moving and the engine is turned off?

Can you get the clutch to dis-engage?

If you lift the boot floor or go at it from below, can you get the selector shaft to move?

Andy

I can

As the clutch pedal has gone soft, go for fluid first. the reservoir is in the front luggage compartment, in front of the driver's area. There are 2 fluid reservoirs reasonably close together. One for the brakes one for the clutch. To remember which is which, think where the clutch pedal is relative to the brake (left), thus it's the one to the left side of the car (facing forward).

I would image the fluid level is low, so look for a MAX line or an arrow pointing up to a line, and top up to that level. Be careful, clutch fluid is very effective at removing paint, so wipe any spills away immediately. use brake & clutch fluid DOT 4 or DOT 5.1 (NOT DOT 5).

Try the clutch see if it makes any difference. If it does, great, if the level was so low as to introduce air into the system let it sit for a few days and the air will naturally bleed itself out due to gravity.

I don't like the fact you cannot select any gear with the engine stationery, but lets hope for the best.

Andy

Agree with Andy ,doesnt sound too good not being able to select gear whilst stationary,have you actually checked your gear selector rods are attached to something at the gear box end? not a ball joint thats fallen off/broken?

Nick S4s

Simplest things first.

problem with gearbox could be after u disconnect it from gearchange mechanism, if u can select gears directly on gearbox by cross shaft, thats what protruding from gearbox on side, if u look into partlist book its scheme 47.06A, so than is your gearbox ok.

than check gearchange mechanism, linkage, mechanism under shifter

Edited by SKY

http://www.lotus-club.cz

lccz_banner.gif

Your 6 is my 12.

http://www.voodoo-world.cz

--------------------------------

As the clutch pedal has gone soft, go for fluid first. the reservoir is in the front luggage compartment, in front of the driver's area. There are 2 fluid reservoirs reasonably close together. One for the brakes one for the clutch. To remember which is which, think where the clutch pedal is relative to the brake (left), thus it's the one to the left side of the car (facing forward).

I would image the fluid level is low, so look for a MAX line or an arrow pointing up to a line, and top up to that level. Be careful, clutch fluid is very effective at removing paint, so wipe any spills away immediately. use brake & clutch fluid DOT 4 or DOT 5.1 (NOT DOT 5).

Try the clutch see if it makes any difference. If it does, great, if the level was so low as to introduce air into the system let it sit for a few days and the air will naturally bleed itself out due to gravity.

I don't like the fact you cannot select any gear with the engine stationery, but lets hope for the best.

Andy

In the front compartment of the car there are two reservoirs, one near the lights and other one near the steering wheel. The latter is completely empty (I suppose that it will be the clutch reservoir). I am going to add liquid to see that it happens.

Add it very, very slowly to minimise the chance or air being further introduced into the system.

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

In the front compartment of the car there are two reservoirs, one near the lights and other one near the steering wheel. The latter is completely empty (I suppose that it will be the clutch reservoir). I am going to add liquid to see that it happens.

OK, as it's completely empty you will need to bleed it.

Use one of these methods.

Locate the clutch slave cylinder in the engine compartment, put some hose on the bleed screw and have something to catch fluid in, have somebody push the pedal down, slacken it, let the pedal go down to the floor, tighten the bleed screw enough to stop fluid, and repeat the cycle (see italicised text).

Use a one-person bleed system (I've assumed you don't have one so will not detail it).

Top up fluid, locate the clutch slave cylinder in the engine compartment, put some hose on the bleed screw and have something to catch fluid in, slacken it and keep topping up fluid every few mins as gravity pulls it through (following advice above about raising front of car if possible).

Andy

Regardless of your clutch master cylinder reservoir being empty, you should still be able to select gears with engine not running.It sounds to me like you may have 2 snags and as Russell says you need to know where the leak is, before going through all the hastle of topping up/bleeding etc,with any luck its just a blown seal on the slave cylinder(not a serviceable part irc).Is your gearshift lever sloppy ? will it engage any gear at all? gear shifts have been known to break up which in turn will lead to not being able to select gears,i think Lotus do an overhaul kit for this ,there is a thread some where about renewing this.

Cheers

Nick S4s

Edited by fflyingdog

Simplest things first.

Try following the instruction in the early post to select gears at the gearbox, you'll need to place yourself on the floor near the rear of the car, on the left hand side of the car.

A bleed nipple looks like this

HEL%20Bleednipple.jpg

You will find it in the slave cylinder of the car. The slave cylinder is attached to the gearbox bell housing, near where it joins the engine. Look at the right hand side of the bell housing, you should see a bit of steel protruding through a rubber seal, that's the clutch fork, the slave cylinder pushes that fork.

Andy

• 3 weeks later...