free hit
counters
Waste gate Porting - Induction/Turbo/Chargecooler/Manifold/Exhaust - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Drfatz

Waste gate Porting

I posted a topic a few weeks ago about my GT3071R turbo overboosting at higher RPM. Infact it would just keep boosting until the engine exploded if I didn't take my foot off the accelerator. Well after installing a Greddy Profec Type S boost controller I still couldn't keep the boost from rising which meant the waste gate was just not big enough. Well I removed the turbo and ported the heck out of the waste gate. See the pictures below! The good news is now the boost no longer creeps even at 7000 rpm B) The problem now is that there is so much exhaust pushing on the waste gate flap the actuator can no longer keep the waste gate shut and the turbo only develops 12 psi of boost :clap: I am running a strong waste gate actuator with a 15 psi spring and even with it as tight as possible it STILL can't hold the boost. My question is has anyone else had this problem before? Can I use a dual port actuator and some how rig it so that the boost pressure pushes the actuator closed instead of pushing it open? I called around and can't seem to find a stronger actuator then 15 psi..... Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

Before

dsc01791ee6.jpg

dsc01791ee6.7f4acbc179.jpg

dsc01792na3.jpg

dsc01792na3.2ea21ea83a.jpg

After

dsc01797ri0.jpg

dsc01797ri0.fecb560dd9.jpg

dsc01796mc9.jpg

dsc01796mc9.bc7883f250.jpg

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Quick update, I found a heavy duty waste gate actuator meant for diesel trucks which may work well for my setup, but before I spend the $185 on it I want to make sure its not to stong/weak and of course no one seems to know. Banks Big Head

Can you resize your images so the longest border is no more than 800 pixels. Thanks :clap:

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Short answer?

Yes, I have...same scenario, same actuator but on a .64a/r 2871R

Just give it some more spring.... I use the Hallman Pro RX kit.

http://www.hallmanboostcontroller.com/applic.html

"Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the American people’s liberty teeth and keystone under independence." - George Washington

www.forgemotorsport.com has a nice shiny wastegate actuator for T3

for $150

u can specify just about any spring rate

i have a pdf sketch i sent to them to get the correct arm length

chris

90SE

just because I don't CARE doesn't mean I don't UNDERDSTAND

I have been looking everywhere for a wastegate manufacturer that would let me specify the spring rate! Thanks a ton :lol:

I'm interested in a new wastegate actuator too. The one you fitted looks like the one listed for some types of SAAB on Forgemotorsport? I'd like the pdf with the measurement(s) if you don't mind.

Thanks, Trevor