free hit
counters
running freescan for the 1st time - ECU/Freescan/Espritmon - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
mr.oogieboogie

running freescan for the 1st time

hello everyone, i'm going to be running freescan for the 1st time later this evening, what should i look out for and how do you start it (do you plug it in then turn on your ignition etc)

all the best

It's Oogies turn to boogie

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Hi Peter,

In my limited experience with it, Freescan seemed to work a treat straight out of the box. Just select the correct COM port and push 'start'. I was using an old laptop with a serial port however, I do believe some have had problems with various USB to serial converters.

With just the ignition on you can see some information, sensor voltages etc. but most of the interesting stuff is with the engine running! It's a good excuse to go for a blast with the laptop hooked up and logging a csv file. You can open this on Excel or similar and peruse it later. One thing that threw me for a while was I had a lot of zero readings, the important thing is to make sure you select the 'Interact' option.

Dermot's Freescan manual is excellent and well worth getting hold of.

Cheers,

Keith

Calypso red '92 Esprit SE Hi-wing

Calypso red '87 Excel SE

Blue '07 BMW X3 2.0TD SE

thank you. i hooked it up last night but the battery on the laptop was not keeping charge (died after 10 mins) no error codes but was not sure on how to to get a csv file, looking at all the gagues the readings are fine car appears to be running fine, only something rattleing which i think i have spotted and will look at tomorrow.

all the best

Pete

It's Oogies turn to boogie

On the bottom left of the 'control' tab there's a 'CSV loggin' option with start & stop next to it. Click start, make up a file name and stick it somewhere where you'll find it again. When you're done, remember to click 'stop'.

This software is infinitely better than Excel to view your files, and it's free.

http://www.ideasandsolutions.biz/MegaLogViewer/

http://www.ideasandsolutions.biz/MegaLogViewer/download/

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

There is another connector in the passenger footwell, under the glove box.

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

I wanted to post and thank Dermot rather than simply replying via mail, for sending me the USB drivers (I've just gone from serial to USB and didn't realise I needed separate drivers).

Dermot, you're a star.

They are linked to in the shop for future reference :thumbup:

Evora NA

Hi,

Sorry to jump on to the thread, but I'm having related issues with our SE. After pressing start on the gui (and with the ignition off) it reports 'finding start header', playing with wires it repeats and sometimes even reports 'found main header'. At times, the byte count increases so I guess data is being received. Should this even happen with the ignition off?

It seems we having some wiring issues anyway but what output should we expect with the ignition on/off? Should the ecu constantly stream bytes to freescan all the time?

Many thanks in advance.

Only with the ignition on... key in position II (engine running or not).

Evora NA

Brent: If the message is "finding start header", really you have a wiring problem; but from the ECU connector to Aldl connector there are too much options: You must have patience. A roost pin (Male or female) in any connector can be the guilty. For more security before make the job, connect the PC in the Aldl placed on the engine compartiment and remake the process.

Have luck!

Feijucho.

Yesterday I was helping a friend diagnose a non-starting '90SE and we plugged in Freescan for the first time. No fault codes showed up and nothing looked obviously amiss, but is there something FS might reveal that we don't know how to recognise, especially in the engine data? For instance, what does the reading for 'crank sensors' mean?

"If you can't fix it with a hammer, it's electrical." -somebody's dad

RTM :)

Evora NA

Read the manual

It's often used as RTFM which adds an expletive!

The manual can be found here -

Evora NA

Quite honestly the Freescan manual seems somewhat vague. I still prefer to use Espritmon as it is graphics rather than spreadsheet based. So much easier to pick up visually on an issue as you can watch and compare in real time. Also on the later model 4 cylinder Esprit's there is the ability to access the ABS systems.

Edited by cjtpb13

Wow fault solved aready and I only got it today,87% throttle only, I always wondered why I could only go to 160mph laugh.png ,anyway removal of the extra car mat and its back to 100%,obviously money well spent on the freescan for that fault alone,now what else can i find shuriken.gif

Edited by nigeninja