free hit
counters
what model of brembos are fitted? - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
red vtec

what model of brembos are fitted?

I want to upgrade my brakes as the ones i have look pants, does anyone know what the model of the brembos are that are fitted to Esprits? As I cannot belive they are a lotus only caliper. Or does anyone know what else they may be fitted to?

Thanks

Amateurs built the Ark

Professionals built the Titanic

"I haven't ridden in cars pulled by cows before" "Bullocks, Mr.Belcher" "No, I haven't, honestly"

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

The front's definitely a generic Brembo caliper (07.5146.xx 15.0mm). Here are the cars it was fitted to:

http://www.fluke-motorsport.co.uk/advanced...mp;x=9&y=12

Some pretty impressive stuff! In addition to the Esprit of course :D

But also a few 'relatively' ordinary cars so you might be able to pick up a pair cheap from a scrapyard.

Not so sure about the rear. Aside from the Lotuses (and VX220) it was only fitted to the Dodge Viper:

http://www.fluke-motorsport.co.uk/advanced...mp;x=9&y=10

Edited by neal

May: DON'T hit it with a hammer!

Clarkson: Why?

May: Cause it's the tool of a pikey.

Thanks very much for that. I will get on the scent of a set of front calipers.

Also notice your only down the road from me.

Edited by red vtec

Amateurs built the Ark

Professionals built the Titanic

"I haven't ridden in cars pulled by cows before" "Bullocks, Mr.Belcher" "No, I haven't, honestly"

Neal,

The links you posted are for pads and I'm assuming there are instances where a certain pad could fit more than one caliper. Do you know that the vehicles listed used the same Brembo calipers as the Lotus ones?

Thanks,

Jim

1995 S4s

Neal,

The links you posted are for pads and I'm assuming there are instances where a certain pad could fit more than one caliper. Do you know that the vehicles listed used the same Brembo calipers as the Lotus ones?

Thanks,

Jim

I'm not sure.

The pad has to be designed to exactly match the caliper specification. Obviously there's the physicals dimensions of the pad backing plate and securing pins, but also things like the number of pistons and the maximum and minimum piston extension. So in effect the caliper internals would have to be the same.

Brembo might have supplied different caliper casings but I wouldn't have thought it would make sense from an economic point of view. It's much easier and cheaper to supply a single generic caliper and let the car manufactures make their own mounting plates to secure the caliper to the hub (although they might paint them differently with the car manufacturers logo).

Of course I could be wrong! Here's another list of cars which use the pad:

http://tispeed.com/index.php?main_page=pro...;products_id=31

Keep a look out for some of the cars. You might be able to find say a Jaguar 00-04XKR and check it's rear calipers.

Edited by neal

May: DON'T hit it with a hammer!

Clarkson: Why?

May: Cause it's the tool of a pikey.

You may also find that another pad design fits the calliper, if the calliper was paired with a thinner or thicker disc, so the pad shape would be the same but a different thickness thus a different pad reference.

Andy

Be ultra aware of this - I've read of someone using a non-standard pad and after a few 1000 miles of wear the pistons going pop pop pop, brake fluid everywhere and loads of damage and no breaking !

(not on an Esprit btw)

facebook = [email protected]