free hit
counters
Ripped off by Churchill - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Yep, I got my pants pulled down and stuffed like a piston block.

My insurance is due to finish on the 14th July but I called today to cancel it. I thought I may have a small admin charge but that was fair. Instead, I got a charge of

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I got a similar surprize 6 weeks ago after I sold another car (not Esprit) 5 months into a 12 months policy which I had paid in advance.

Phoned them up to cancil the policy and to find out how much I would get a refund for -

After their 'admin' charge - recieved a cheque back for #40 pounds! (that seven months cover I've not had) Do these people not realise people actually buy AND sell cars occationally.

Thats some Admin charge! - ie a phone call and some commission clawback most likely.

Daylight Robery - ACADEMY INSURANCE SERVICES - name and shame! As you say John extremely short sighted - another car of mine is Insured currently with them, but wont be at the next renewal.

Edited by mayesprit

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk - that will teach us to keep mouth shut!

Hi,

Classicline who I'm with at the moment don't even refund any of my policy, If I sold the car I've lost all the insurance money even if it had 11 months left, it states in the documents no refunds. :)

Owen.

Classicline who I'm with at the moment don't even refund any of my policy, If I sold the car I've lost all the insurance money even if it had 11 months left, it states in the documents no refunds. :)

When my N/A went 6 weeks ago, I had 6 months to go on the policy with Aon. Phoned them up to say sold and I recieved 6 months return of premium to the penny. Hence new Esprit and using the same Ins Company.

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk - that will teach us to keep mouth shut!

I'm with Footman James, during the first 12 months there's either a non refund of premium or a fee (couple of months premium) if yo cancel, can't remember which, but once it's past the first 12 months you can cancel pro-rata (you pay for the part of the year used only), there might be an admin fee but that's only

Hi,

Owen.

If that's a limited/agree mileage policy then surely that's exactly what you would expect ? Otherwise, when you ran out of miles you could cancel it and start it again. For example, say it was

Right then, said Fred.

I'm with Footman James, during the first 12 months there's either a non refund of premium or a fee (couple of months premium) if yo cancel, can't remember which, but once it's past the first 12 months you can cancel pro-rata (you pay for the part of the year used only), there might be an admin fee but that's only

I didn't pay for it over the phone. I'll wait until they send the final bill in writing an then complain. Especially as it was a continuation. Not a new policy.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. If ever there was an industry run by the devil, it would be the insurance industry.

Churchill were not exactly cheap anyway. As I said, they were just over the

I think part of the problem is that insurance companies are being conned by people who take out insurance to tax a car for a year, then cancel it in the hope that ANPR cameras and roadside stops don't show them as being uninsured.

So I can understand it in the first year of a policy - but thereafter it's a con.

Proud recipient of the LEF 'Car of the Month Award' February 2008

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: "Wow, what a ride!!"

Edited by OwenGT3

As martin Lewis points out, what are insurance companies actually selling you? Absolutly nothing, it is simply an amount of money based on risk. Why do policies go up if you do not claim? Simple answer is to make more money from you in the hope it is too much hassle to get quotes elsewhere.

Classic cars like ours should be the cheapest in the world to insure, as they are our pride and joy and will be looked after a 1000 times better than a mere tin box, so that in turn makes us easy prey as we want the best cover. Every year I spend hours getting the best prices for all our cars, and it pays off, we have just insured out Smart Roadster for

Good point about having a pro-rata refund on the miles, not the time.

I've been with ClassicLine for about 5 years now I think. Also very impressed when you ring them up and just tell them your name and they have all your details without having to quote chapter and verse at them. They even keep records if you ask them a query, which is very impressive.

Right then, said Fred.