free hit
counters
How far have you driven your Esprit - Esprit Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
kyliesmith.com

How far have you driven your Esprit

How far have you guys taken your Esprit in one journey? And what necessary things did you take just in case you thought the inevitable would happen! What are your thoughts??

Well every year for Xmas we usually fly down from Auckland to the South Island to spend part of our holidays touring the lakes and staying in some really nice remote areas with family and friends. I

350.gifNo.23

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Wow! With that kind of scenery it'd be a pleasure to break down! Only ever done Auckland and Northland myself.

I've managed a paltry 350 miles in one trip, but I'd be happy to risk an epic journey. Some things to add - 12v tyre inflator, torch, gloves?

British Ambassador to Florida, New York, Denmark and Newfoundland.  And Sweden.

until now was longest way to new home, from haag (NL) to prague (CZ), 1350km only with fuel stops.

nothing happend with the car during journey, i was wandering after during inspection. ...btw if any problem, i had second car behind me.

only big problem was 1200 in night, 1000 in heavy rain, 200 in heavy rain and heavy fog....and i was after 1350 km of drive to haag............ al jurney was cca 2900km in 18 hours (12 of driving) and shitty weather without sleep i was totally dead next 2 days.

Edited by SKY

http://www.lotus-club.cz

lccz_banner.gif

Your 6 is my 12.

http://www.voodoo-world.cz

--------------------------------

I did Hereford UK to Barcelona, about 1730km a couple of years ago and the car ran perfectly, not in one go of course but overnight. Fuel economy was surprisingly good even traveling at comfortable 3 figure speeds.

I'm due to take the car down to Madrid a week Thursday, that is about 1950km, so I'll post with what went right and not after I get there.

Happy motoring,

Stuart.

Driving Automotive Aristocracy Since 2004

From home to Hethal and Back on a couple of occasions - just over the 600 miles. And also Le Mans last year - around 600 If I remember. All problem free. :)

Those NZ roads look great!

Edited by mayesprit

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk - that will teach us to keep mouth shut!

Longest so far was the drive from Sportomotive, Salisbury to home. Dont remember the exact figure but must have been around 1400+ km

My checklist was a lot shorter though:

- Spare oil

- Phone charger

Norwich to Kirkcaldy in Fife - 850 mile round trip.

No problems, until I got to Scotland and had my shiny dust caps nicked!

AEG-banner.jpg

done the norwich to edinburgh run a few times now, well 3 ane plenty trips up to the scottish highlands from Edinburgh as my folks live way up there... I take... Full tool kit, Laptop for tuning/diagnostics, AA caed incase the afore mentioned do not sort the problems, tyre froam stuff, extra oil and water, Ipod waterproofs incase i breakdown in the rain, we get a bit of that up here..... NZ roads look fun but you could easily carry too much speed into some of these corners off these fab looking straights!!

Mark

Mark MacKenzie  Elise S2 135 Sport 

Hi,

I did Milton Keynes to the Nurburgring last year which was a 1000 mile round trip followed by a few laps hooning round and also a bit of autobahn high speed driving on one of the days we were out there in total on the trip I did about 1200 miles.

The only prep I did in addition to normal driving was to take some distilled water/Oil and a socket set. Used none of it but belts and braces I suppose!!!

Nelllie :)

1500 miles round trip over 5 days to Le Mans/Loire, only problem was a leaky rad hose needed a new jubilee clip.

DO watch out for ferry ramps, the Esprit has a long scnozz and your S350s spoiler is even worse. 3 out of 4 ferry crossings were real valance rippers. it was only on the last one the crew whipped out some additional shallow ramps which showed on the other trips they just couldn't be arsed, barstewards!

In the garage no-one can hear you scream 

Wow! With that kind of scenery it'd be a pleasure to break down! Only ever done Auckland and Northland myself.

I've managed a paltry 350 miles in one trip, but I'd be happy to risk an epic journey. Some things to add - 12v tyre inflator, torch, gloves?

Aha thanks Sparky very handy stuff there.

I have to plan this way ahead to book the ferry a few months in advance around the peak holiday season. So gives me another two months to really nut out the whole trip and make some bookings etc. It also gives me another 5-6 months of cleaning up the suspension and perhaps new Turbo seals in that time too. Who knows what else ill want to replace as preventative maintenance. :)

until now was longest way to new home, from haag (NL) to prague (CZ), 1350km only with fuel stops.

only big problem was 1200 in night, 1000 in heavy rain, 200 in heavy rain and heavy fog....and i was after 1350 km of drive to haag............ al jurney was cca 2900km in 18 hours (12 of driving) and shitty weather without sleep i was totally dead next 2 days.

Wow thats some serious driving. We will be doing plenty of stops and at the most in one day say 400km. The idea to to really enjoy the scenery and not feel rushed or too tired.

350.gifNo.23

3 years ago I visited the LEW meeting in Oxford. From Cologne (Germany) to England 1.500 km in 4 days without any problems but with a lot of fun. My SE was 14 years old with more than 65.000 km.

Now after 98.000 km with my Esprit I

Flew to Zurich, picked up my new SE (never driven anything near a car like that before, let alone ever seen an "S" car before) and drove it home to Oslo. 2200 km. Fun, but was really worried of all sorts of things. It was raining, I had to find a vacant hotel room every night, hoped nothing would break down and all the traffic on the German autobahn...But no need to worry at all! Everything went smooth! 4 days I used.

lo.jpg

This way to ship models! http://www.modelship...user-index.html

AELLEF_Esprit_27.jpg

Wow thats some serious driving. We will be doing plenty of stops and at the most in one day say 400km. The idea to to really enjoy the scenery and not feel rushed or too tired.

i had time, resp i get in work only 24 hours to pick up the car :) so no other chance

http://www.lotus-club.cz

lccz_banner.gif

Your 6 is my 12.

http://www.voodoo-world.cz

--------------------------------

The day I purchased my car,I drove it 112 miles home in partial snow and rain,(only day off for two weeks) And the next day I had to replace the alternator.Not a good start but hopefully as soon as I can get this wastgate off and cleaned I 'l be driving it again.I would go on a 200 to 300 miles trip without a worry even with the possible problems these cars get great highway mileage as long as you travel the posted 70 mph.

Car Lover,,at least thats how the report read.

Blimey. Not a bloody sheep in sight. Was it shearing time? I know when i was there you could drive for miles and see no one, round a bend and suddenly there were sheep all over the road. Great country. Flew into Christchurch toured all round the South Island, Napier, Hawkes Bay, Milford Sound, Fox Glacier, smelly Rotarua(spel), up to Wellington, across the Cook Straits to Auckland

I'm due to take the car down to Madrid a week Thursday, that is about 1950km, so I'll post with what went right and not after I get there.

Happy motoring,

Stuart.

Have a great trip, lots of pics and let us know how you get on :(

No problems, until I got to Scotland and had my shiny dust caps nicked!

Really what bastards!! Ive never been to Scotland I hear parts of the country is a lot like home. We have a massive Scottish community in the south Island mainly Dunedin.

350.gifNo.23

Nashville Tennessee to Loveland CO the day I bought my Esprit, 1200miles.

Colorado to Lake Tahoe California and back, 2000miles.

Colorado to St. Louis Missouri and back, ~2000miles.

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

My Lotus Photo and Projects Album

done the norwich to edinburgh run a few times now, well 3 ane plenty trips up to the scottish highlands from Edinburgh as my folks live way up there... I take... Full tool kit, Laptop for tuning/diagnostics, AA caed incase the afore mentioned do not sort the problems, tyre froam stuff, extra oil and water, Ipod waterproofs incase i breakdown in the rain, we get a bit of that up here..... NZ roads look fun but you could easily carry too much speed into some of these corners off these fab looking straights!!

Mark

NZ roads are brilliant really im not just saying it, you can get to any good driving roads pretty quickly even if your in the cities it does not take long to find some great driving roads. The only hazards are mufty cops and and highway patrol that tend to hide amoungst traffic waiting for that speeding tourist coming towards them. But you get those in every tax collecting country :(

Adam, Peter and Mark wow all great trips and yeah the snozz on the Esprit is a right pain. When you try to explain to non Esprit owners the difficulties of trying not to scrape they dont really understand what all the fuss is about. I used to take my my 89 Turbo to work every now and again as the drive way entrance was only just bearable but a tiny scrape on an angle. With this car they cant understand why im not bringing it to work despite having to explain every time.

Midlands to Germany and back a round trip of about 1500 miles. Used the channel tunnel and had no problems.

Great to know another S350 is getting around :( If only we had a tunnel I think it would have to be 20km or so long though. Gosh that would solve my loading ramp problems. Oh yeah to add to the list some blocks of wood perhaps. ?

Stephan,

Thats a huge trip, I envy you guys being able to pop over the border to neighbouring countries. Ill swap you one of my lakes and mountains for a slab of the Autobahn :(

Atle,

Gosh id be pretty nervous too, what a great introduction to Esprit ownership though. And yeah driving the Esprit in the rain for the first time isnt much fun!

350.gifNo.23

Newcastle to Vias in the South of France in the S4 in 2000 (i think). 1400 miles of sheer terror dreading the engine management light coming on...and not speaking a word of French if i got into difficulty (first time i had been abroad)

I took with me the following essential items...24 cans of coke (most of them exploded for some reason, and leaked all over the boot...i thought it was petrol at first)

1 box of Cornflakes

10 tins of Hot dogs

Enough chocolate and crisps to feed a small campsite (i dont like normal food and survive on crap like this)

A Shaun the Sheep nodder

A post it note with 'KEEP RIGHT' wrote on it and stuck to the steering wheel

The rest of the space was filled with full fuel cans as it was the time of the fuel shortages

The reason i took on this foolhardy mission? I went to see a lady...when i got there i discovered she was shacked up with a French waiter...how rude!

But the car made it...and also got me back home...when i drove off the train back in blighty i was so relieved and absolutely hammered it all the way up the A1 after having nursed it for the previous 1000 miles

It was in the garage the following week...gasket or something... :(

L'Hippo

Marge: Homer, I don't want you driving around in a car you built yourself.

Homer : Marge, you can either sit there complaining, or you can knit me some seat belts...

The day I purchased my car,I drove it 112 miles home in partial snow and rain,(only day off for two weeks) And the next day I had to replace the alternator.Not a good start but hopefully as soon as I can get this wastgate off and cleaned I 'l be driving it again.I would go on a 200 to 300 miles trip without a worry even with the possible problems these cars get great highway mileage as long as you travel the posted 70 mph.

Hi Doyle the alternator is something I want to replace as prevativie maintenance this year, service records show nothing thats it been replaced and its no doubt due. Going off other peoples experiences the Altnerator on the V8 is a right %@## to get at and replace not to mention a part I may need to import if I cant find the part no. here.

Blimey. Not a bloody sheep in sight. Was it shearing time? I know when i was there you could drive for miles and see no one, round a bend and suddenly there were sheep all over the road. Great country. Flew into Christchurch toured all round the South Island, Napier, Hawkes Bay, Milford Sound, Fox Glacier, smelly Rotarua(spel), up to Wellington, across the Cook Straits to Auckland

Yip you must have arrived in the spring or something. Got to be careful going over blind hill crests ive heard of a few stories of cattle, deer and horses standing in the middle of the road just waiting to be bumped into....not good :(

SheeponroadNZ.jpg

Travis, that would have to be the most miles I have heard of? Thats incredible.

Hippo, :( you do eat some $hit that is so funny!!! but I like your style. That women will regret getting shacked up with a French waiter what a tart esp if she knew you were visiting for other reasons? That would certainly piss me off. I know what id prefer..... Anyway yeah some energy drinks and snacks along the way will be a must! :(

350.gifNo.23

Go for it Kylie - you will regret it if you don't.

I took the beast across to Tasmania on the ferry, no problems, then spent the next 2 weeks crusing around the Island, about 1,200 kms.

Similar to NZ, has some fantastic, clear roads. Did some of the Targa Tasmania route too. :(