free hit
counters
Brake lines - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

I'm trying to figure out what sort of brake fittings I need for my S1. I want to replace all the pipe work and fitting with new ones as the originals are cruddy to say the least!! However, I can't figure out what size things are. I'm assuming the copper pipe is 3/16" but can somebody confirm this please?

Thanks, Paul.

Lotus Esprit [meaning] a 1:1 scale Airfix kit with a propensity to catch fire

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Okay, well that's a good start :lol: I now need to know what sizes I need for the fittings? My car has a set of Goodridge braided hoses on it as well.

Cheers, Paul.

Age would make me guess at imperial fittings, but it has French rear brakes, so could be metric, so there's no sure fire way to know, just because it was fitted with one sort when it left the factory doesn't mean it's that sort now, previous owner may have changed them over/ mixed them.

Andy

I remember that none of the fittings I had left over from when I did my Elan would fit, which would make my S1 Esprit all metric

I used 3/16's copper pipe

Matt

1976 Esprit S1 123G, 1976 Esprit S1 166G, 1976 Esprit S1 170G, 1976 Esprit S1 228G, 1977 Esprit S1 564H, 1978 Esprit S1 326G, 1978 Esprit S1 329G, 1978 Esprit S1 336G, 1981 Esprit S2.2 0991, 1997 Elise S1

It would appear they're metric M10 with a 1mm pitch. Some of the thread adaptors are unavailable so I will need to re-use those.

Paul.

Best brake line material is Kunifer 10...it's a copper alloy (iirc) which outperforms and outlasts all the rest..I certainly wouldn't use steel lines, bound to corrode in short order.

Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." - Albert Einstein

Hi Paul,

I think it is definitely a case of experimentation, I have ordered a whole bunch of different fittings to determine the specification. Even phoned Lotus technical who had no idea either...

Ambrose

Mine are definitely M10 but some of the adaptors may be a metric/imperial converter?

I'm doing my pipes in copper. The original was copper and apart from having been painted and looking old it's still perfectly servicable after 30 years. Assuming this stuff lasts another 30 years I shall be 76 and too old and decrepit to get in the car hahahaha

Paul.

Edited by Paul Coleman