free hit
counters
Seat Belts, 1982 Turbo - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
molemot

Seat Belts, 1982 Turbo

The smell of petrol was finally too embarassing to put up with..I'd fixed the breather hoses so it wasn't them, and the beast has been using petrol whilst stationary..not good, especially with today's prices. So I bought two "refurbished" tanks on Ebay...when I finally got around to the job and inspected them, I discovered that the "refurbishment" had been achieved by a skim of filler over the rust holes and a nice coat of black paint. Caveat emptor....anyway, there hadn't been any petrol in them for years and I discovered the problem whilst washing them out with the magic wash which forms part of Frost's tank sealant kit...so I grabbed the blowlamp and solder, cut a nicely oversized repair doubler, tinned everything and plumbed it in place...pressure test..OK. Now to fit them...first, get the old ones out. I just knew this was to be one of those Lotus jobs which make you want to emasculate yourself with a rusty breadknife...and so it is. However, persistence has nearly triumphed..except I have to remove the seat belt reel units, and the bolts just seem to go round and round and round and...well, you get the idea. Examination of the units has not revealed any sign of nuts or anything that the bolts bolt into. Mayday, Mayday, Mayday...has anyone managed to get these reels off? Is there a secret to it? Do they actually undo if you keep on turning? Any advice welcomed. I've just put the new spoiler panel and bumper on the back so I took her out the other day for a quick blast, the first since Monsieur Camion Blanc Homme smashed the originals on the Peripherique just before Christmas... one forgets what a bolide these beasts are!! Haven't been able to get near the machine for months, been having radiotherapy for the prostate cancer..seems to have worked, in combination with implants and bicalutamide..I'm told I now have a "very small prostate", so I'm pretty enthusiastic to get back on the road properly. Thanks in advance for any advice re. these bloomin' belts!!

Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." - Albert Einstein

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Great news about your health John, good to hear :)

Erm, about the seatbelts, I'll leave that to someone who knows which end of a spanner is which!

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

You should be able to remove the reels by the big (19mm / 3/4 inch) bolt hidden under the black plastic centre strip that covers the reel of belt.

If you mean they're spinning- Oh F***. You should be able to get the whole bracket off that they secure to, but it's awkward

Hi John

I assume you are referring to the single large anchor bolt? If so, mine definitely had some sort of captive nut at the back (inside the cab) as it simply removed/replaced without drama.

Bear in mind that the threads will be corrosion free, unlike every other bolt on the car.... so perhaps you are assuming its spinning, whilst its actually 'undoing'?

Give it another go.

cheers Steve

Single large anchor bolt?...ooh err...haven't found that!! Did find 4 smaller bolts going through the bulkhead which seemed to fit into the 4 corners of the reel...I'll have another look for the big one!! Did finally get the engine surround panels off, first time since the factory fitted them, rotten corroded pulserts and mild steel bolts..had to drill them out and use main force to tear the panels out..sort of turned green and hulk-like..that was a small triumph; will have to start welding up nutplates again!! How I hate Lotus production engineering; a few pence more for stainless fasteners and a spot of anti-seize...

Cheers for the good wishes, Bibs..yup, healthwise the prostate seems to have been subdued..now all I have to do is dispose of a chunk of the unwanted body weight..trust me to get the only form of cancer which makes you put ON weight!! Still managing to crawl around the engine, though!

Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." - Albert Einstein

Hmmmm sounds though it might be a different arrangement?

From the engine compartment, I have a plastic cover over each seat belt reel secured by 4 'self tappers'. Once this cover is removed, the reel is then covered by a clip-on dust cover. Once this is lifted off, you would see the large anchor bolt (the same 19mm one that Andy mentions). You could not miss it!

cheers Steve

Solder has a habit of cracking over time particularly with vibration. I think you would be better off brazing rather than soldering. Just my opinion for what it's worth of course!

Paul.

Lotus Esprit [meaning] a 1:1 scale Airfix kit with a propensity to catch fire

Thanks for that, Paul...the repair is a steel plate about 10cm by 4cm sweated in place, so I reckon it would be OK....it's a bit academic now, as I've found the large bolt referred to in previous posts (Doh!), got the driver's side tank out and discover that my friendly ebay bloke from East Anglia must really have seen me coming...I'd never seen an Esprit tank before I saw his, but they looked like the drawings in the manual....and, of course, they aren't. Same plan form and size, but my Turbo tanks are 30cm high and the "new" ones are 22cm!!! Also they lack the sump and crossfeed arrangement that I have on my 82 Turbo. Frustrated? You bet!! Anyway, my driver's side tank is nicely rusted through, with 4 small holes about 2mm by 4mm when opened up with a scraper. SO..does anybody need a couple of shortass tanks? No good to me...and I still have to undo the engine mounts and lower the engine to get the other tank out....gave up when I dropped the spanner and it went tinkle tinkle clang and disappeared into the chassis behind the oil cooler thermostat for the third time. Now supping half a litre of ice cold Krony out of the workshop Beer Freezer, which is carefully calibrated to keep beer about 1 deg C...as cold as you can get and stay liquid !! Morale has improved.

Finally got the engine mount undone and the motor lowered enough to get the other tank out...even more cattled than the other one. So it looks like S&J have sold another pair of alloy tanks. To Hades with this mechanicking, I'm off to Paris in the boat next week.....

Hi John.Just read your first post .Great news referance your health .Glad to hear you are on the mend .Sounds cool living in France .The french must love your car ,Iknow i do i use to own a early turbo .which i think is the ulitimate Esprit Cheers from Mike ...

Great news on the health front, John.

Not so good news on the petrol tanks, though.

S4 Elan, Elan +2S, Federal-spec, World Championship Edition S2 Esprit #42, S1 Elise, Excel SE

Ok Im taking my tanks out too, I got the seat belt reel off ok but having a bit of trouble with the rubber pipe that conects the tank to the filler inlet. Do I need to remove the filler pipe from the side of the car or do I do a "hulk" job on the rubber pipe?

"Belief is the enemy of knowing" - Crrow777

Buddsy, the answer to that question is absolutely!, You may need to undo the four screws that hold the filler neck to the body work (underneath the filler cap) in order to get the tanks out at the alloy neck will foul the tank when you try to remove it!

Let me know if you want a hand coz i am expert at tank removal now!!

Cheers for yoour help on Sunday - the beast is up and running, taxed and apart from a few minor problems (alternator not charging, idle a bit rough and clutch drag that can be easily sorted but adjusting the slave cylinder push rod) We are good to go!

REHABS FOR QUITTERS!!