free hit
counters
Bad Dealer Experience with Diamond Motorworks! - Esprit Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
04MBEsprit

Bad Dealer Experience with Diamond Motorworks!

So, I posted here a couple of weeks ago about my 04 Esprit that was on the way. Delivery was delayed due to a dent in the rear bumper metal undertray thing around the exhaust pipes. Several days later, they claim it's as good as new, and ready for delivery. So then, the car comes many days later, and instead of arriving around midnight, due to some other problems, it arrived at 7 in the morning. The car was filthy. Honestly, one of the dirtiest cars I have ever seen, and definitely the dirtiest sports car I've ever seen. There were also several oher minor problems as well. A few rock chips that the dealer never specified or photographed. The hood also does not close properly, and is eleveated noticabley on one side. The passenger winow is not sealing properly and leaks a little. The carpet and floor matts appear very dirty and stained...definitely doesn't sound like the garage kept Esprit that was promised. Then, to top it off, after spending several hours washing and waxing it, we decide to go to the DMV and get a license plate for it. As fate would have it, the dealer never properly took title from whoever traded it in, and therefore our attempt at getting a tag for the car was rejected. So now, after several weeks of delays, there lies a Lotus in the driveway that has been paid for and has an invalid title with no license plate and cannot be driven...o yea, I forgot to mention a nail in the back right tire. As soon as the truck driver got it off the truck, he pointed out the low pressure gauge noted that there was only 9psi in that tire. Sure enough, a nail is in it. Also, there are more miles on the car than advertised...kinda makes me wonder how it was driven if Diamond Star Motors never registered it in the State of Illinois, so how are there mystery miles on the car? I have to overnight him the title tomorrow, and once he receives he he must assign us the title, correctly, and then send it back with temporary tags. It just makes me wonder how a dealer can mishandle paper work, incorrectly represent the car, and deny so much of their own wrong doing. Soooo, despite all the great feedback I read about Diamond Star Motors in Nappersville Illinois, be careful! Hopefully we'll get the title straigtened out soon, since insurance has already been paid on the car for 2 weeks! I'll try to get sum pictures up asap though.

Edited by 04MBEsprit

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Sounds like you should also take legal advice on this Gabe - the car you've bought is clearly 'not as advertised', has a significantly higher mileage, and the amount of messing around you've gone through (through no fault of your own) could be grounds for a substantial discount on the price you paid.

I just hope she's a good car - and there aren't a whole host of further problems lurking.

Edited to add: Others have probably already pointed out that the car may have been first REGISTERED in 2004, but was certainly BUILT much earlier. I think the last ones were made in 2002, but I may be wrong.

Edited by islandbloke

Proud recipient of the LEF 'Car of the Month Award' February 2008

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: "Wow, what a ride!!"

The build date on the car says Jan 04. I just am having a hard time figuring out how miles were put on it if it never had a valid plate in illinois. My father and I are expecting a phone call back tomorrow from an attorney in Illinois. Meanwhile, we gotta get this title thing fixed, but overnitghting a title to an untrustworthy guy is scary...since the title was not transfered correctly from the previous owner to the dealer, and therefore cannot be transfered to us, I wonder who legally owns the car?

Have you run a carfax against the VIN to check for issues? If you don't scare too easily, read this thread on a guy who bought a Gallardo with what turned out to be a stolen title - http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=191248

Good luck!

Paddle Faster, I hear Banjos!

Gabe,

They probably slapped a dealer plate on the car when they drove the car.

You already know Diamond Star is unethical, and dishonest, so I would think

twice before sending them the title to the car.

Also by not registering the car they can avoid paying taxes on the purchase of

the car from the P.O. because they never "legally owned it" Legally it will appear

as if ownership has passed from the P.O to you.

Good luck

Carl

I knew they did not register it like most dealers do, but the car originally came from Washington State and the title was incorrectly transfered to the dealer. I ran a car fax and everything checks out on it, but I am afraid of relying soley on that since so much can go on unreported to insurance companies. I'm gonna call the dealer back Monday and try to work something out, because like you mentioned, I do not feel comfortable sending the title back to them. I even told them that I can't send the title back trusting them since they have proven to be untrustworthy thus far. The other problem with them putting a temporary tag on the car and driving it to the body shop is that they told me that it would be put on a flat bed and taken over there. That is one of many instances where they clearly lied, since the car arrived with about 40 more miles on it than stated on the paper work and from when the car was paid for. I think there is a new law though in NC that if we show the DMV the vehicle and vin number and everything with the current title, they should title it on the spot since it all mathes. A friend told me they do it all the time in the shop he works at since so many of the classic muscle cars they build and restore come in with invalid titles as well. Changing gears to the stolen gallardo, that's just terrible. Cross your fingers this isn't the case here!

Edited by 04MBEsprit

Yes, carfax can be a little hit or miss - I know of a 02 at a dealer listed as immaculate with no accidents, yet this car suffered $35K in damage from (believe it or not) a sand storm and should have been salvaged. Good luck with everything.

Paddle Faster, I hear Banjos!