free hit
counters
bloody cables - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
bigsi

bloody cables

coming back to aber tonight after a real nice drive and just as im coming through glangrwyny my bloody throttle cable snapped on me, now its not a simple thing to replace oh no... mine wasnt anyway..

i pulled the old one out and used a spare chocke cable that i had bought not too long ago, now this has to be threaded from the front of the car through the sheath running along the side of the centre console through the rear bulkhead to the carbs throttle linkages.

problem was the old cable had left bits of wire in the sheath and it was fouling the new wire, so i had to rip the old sheath out, find where it was catching open it enough to pull the bits of wire out then re thread wire and sheath through the bulkhead again and reconnect, worst thing is this was already a new cable and sheath in there anyway.

luckily for me one of the recovery guys from the classic rally stopped and gave me a hand. it took about one and a half hours to bloody fix all down to the fookin sheath.

so monday im getting a new sheath and spare, two new cables and redoing it again with all new fixings.

first bit of trouble i have had with it and not one miserable fooker would stop and help for an hour, what made it worse was a few lotus elise drivers went past and i saw the seloc stickers on the cars and even they didnt stop miserable fookers.

anyway its done , its in the drive and it can bloody stay there till tomorrow, im having a curry now and fook it all for the rest of the evening!

and when i come back from holiday it can have its full service finished and then it can find a new home.

Edited by bigsi

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

so why did you not fot a new cable in the first place ( a lotus one ) cost cutting gives our cars a bad name for relibilty and can be a real pain doing the same job twice

assumptions, usually the mother of all fookups..

the cable and sheath were replaced not too long ago by me and they are lotus originals, the choke cable is a lotus original that i used its the same length as the throttle one, its generic, you just trim the cable end down. i only buy and fit original lotus parts for the car, i always have.

i do not cost cut on this car at all thanks very much, i bloody well work hard on it every week keeping it clean and spotless thats why it sailed through its mot the other week.

what annoyed me is that a new throttle cable that i fitted with the new sheath not too long ago snapped on me on the way home which made me stop dead on a tight curve on a busy main road, not helped by the cable shedding bits of wire as i pulled it back through which stopped me pushing a new cable through and fitting it in less than 10 mins as it should have been.

instead i had to take my seat out, take the centre panels off, pull the sheath out, cut into it to get all the bits of cable ot, thread it back through the bulkhead and console, thread the new cable through, burn my hands on the manifold and pipes, take off the plunum and air box faces just to get the cable up through the cable guide, reattatch everything and then adjust the throttle holding point.

needless to say after an hour of burning my hands and cutting myself i was ready to blow my head, top that off with assh*les stopping me from sdoing anything because they wanted to drive by slowly and have a good laugh at my expense with the usual wan*er signs going on, i was at mount st helens blowing point. luckily for me a recover engineer guy stopped behind me, he had just come from the classic rally that had been going on in the beacons and helped me out and still wouldnt take any money when i offered it to him.

so the plan is to buy some more "original lotus cables again" replace everything once again and have spares, in a boot tidy so they are always to hand.

Edited by bigsi

Simon,

Are you sure the throttle stops are set correctly? The pedal should hit the stop on the floor before the throttle linkage hits the stops on the carburetor. If you are pulling against the carburetor stops the cable is taking all the strain of your size 12+ trying to mash the pedal into the carpet. N not good for cable life.

Instead, set the stops on the carburetors to give full throttle and then set the pedal stop on the floor behind the pedal so that when the pedal is on it, the linkage is just touching the stop on the carburetor. When you have done this, back out the carburetor stop a half turn or so to give some clearance. Then check that the pedal at closed throttle is level with the brake pedal when the pedal is pushed down. Adjust the brake pedal stop on the pedal box to do this. That way you don't have to worry about your foot catching the accelerator when you brake and it makes heel and toeing much more comfortable.

S4 Elan, Elan +2S, Federal-spec, World Championship Edition S2 Esprit #42, S1 Elise, Excel SE

hi trevor, yep its all set up right, i spent today getting it sorted out. the new sheath i fitted also has a bit of the internal metal sticking into to inside, its been chewing on the cable in there also.

im ok foot wise when driving i have some slim driving profiled shoes so i dont catch the other pedals.