free hit
counters
Car Wanders With Road Camber - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
winners

Car Wanders With Road Camber

Been wondering for a while about how my car handles. Its great on smooth surfaces and I am as one with the car, but anything with a strong camber or slightly bumpy, we're in for a hair raising ride. I'd assumed it was normal. But any other S1 owners or even G car owners got an opinion.

Mark

PS What a great day today for a blast around country lanes.

Look what Q's brought us. Isn't it nice!

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Hi Mark my s3 did this When I first got it .Their were three main problems.

1.Crap rear tyres.The old B F Goodrich tyres had very soft side walls which made the rear of the car sway and you couldn't keep it in a straight line.

2.I also found the steering joint between the s wheel and s rack was loose which made lots of play in the steering.

3.I still had a bit of weeving on the motorway ,inside lane,so I investigated the s rack it had a lot of play so i rebuilt it.

Now it steers like a racing car.

Hope this helps

regards Mark p

Hey Mark. Welcome to Esprit Ownership! :lol:

On the way back from Castle Coombe I thought there was something wrong with my car till I pulled alongside Bibs and told him. Seems he was experienceing exactly the same. Esprits are especially bad "Tramlining" (getting stuck in the lorry ruts in the road).

Possibly save your life. Check out this website.
http://everyman-campaign.org/

Distributor for 'Every Male' grooming products. (Discounts for any TLF members hairier than I am!)

While the Esprit is a little sensitive to tramlining, bumps or road camber should not make for a hair raising ride. I find my S1 very stable in bumps and with only a little pull off to the side with camber

I would have a good look over the suspension bushings, check wheel alignment front and rear, and check that the shocks look OK.

What sort of tyres are you using?

cheers

Rohan

Also, importantly, check your tyre pressures are correct and the wear on the inside edges isnt excessive. these can affect handling and steering quite drastically.

One (or both) sides with low pressure will cause unusual tugs on the wheel.

D

My S3 never used to feel that positive, it tram lined, wandered, bump steered, all slightly, but not one symptom to the extent you "know" something is wrong.

Then I had to sort out the wheel wobble which became vibration, as such I replaced just about everything, rack, joints, bushes, mounts etc. It now feels the more controlled car I've had, even puts my old hot hatch cars to shame for handling.

The TE is a different matter- still WIP.

Having owned an S2 and an S3 Turbo, they are very different. The S2 was incredidbly sensitive to tyre pressure. I could easily detect a 2psi difference at the front (due to it wandering around). The S3 is much more composed and steers pretty straight in most conditions.

If the car is not giving you confidence, I would suggest something is wrong. I would start by checking the front and rear toe in.

cheers Steve