free hit
counters
What to do with the brakes? - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Paul Coleman

What to do with the brakes?

I'm in the process of restoring all the brakes on my car. I've stripped the front down today. Note to self (and anybody else doing the same) get the front calliper pistons out before you dismantle the braking system otherwise you'll have to plumb them all up again to push the pistons out!!

Anyway, I've got the pistons out now and one of them has some damage. Does anybody do stainless steel pistons for the front and rear? Is it worth upgrading them? Should I get the callipers resleeved? Again, who does it and how much is it likely to cost? I'm tempted to replace the rubber seals and buy a new piston to replace my damaged one and not bother doing anything else!!

Similarly, I could get the master cylinder resleeved but is it necessary? At this point in time I can't even get into the damn thing!! And what should I do with the servo?

Cheers, Paul.

Lotus Esprit [meaning] a 1:1 scale Airfix kit with a propensity to catch fire

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Wouldn't honing be enough to remove the damaged material of the sleeve. It doesn't relly matter if the bore is slightly larger than original spec as long as it's smooth.

Andy

Having thought about it a bit more there is probably no good reason to have the callipers resleeved because they have a rubber seal in them which is actually the only bit which touches the piston. So I've probably answered that one myself and saved a fortune in the process :lol:

Edit :- Having now taken out all the cylinders one of the front and one of the rear will need replacing. The master cylinder needs resleeving (or replacing) and I need a front and rear piston. I'm rapidly going off this car :o

Paul.

Edited by Paul Coleman

Lotus Esprit [meaning] a 1:1 scale Airfix kit with a propensity to catch fire